Posted: May 3rd 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

Aion was a great game with too little content. The actual mechanics are the best of any current MMO, but the game is lacking both PVE and PVP content.

We don't want to fight the same monster every 10 levels.

Lastly, the west is not the east - so why did you give us a korean grindfest game?

korean grindfest is an actual game genre - how did you not know that westerners are not korean grinders? because we aren't.

the sooner you stop trying to stretch out Aion shelflife by thinking people want to spend 5 hours grinding per level the sooner you will watch your population spike.

PVP content is too repetitive with fort raids. There needs to be more and better territory control in Aion to make use of the great gameplay mechanics.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 3:18PM hmmdar said

My self as a gamer have no problem with grinding, with the exception of I don't want to know I am grinding. :) Aion doesn't even attempt to hide its grind.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 1:53PM shoan said

What I want to know is honestly are the gold spammers cut back. I left the game due to not being able to see chat for all the gold spammers. I had to block so many people that I felt like I was grinding my ignore list more than grinding levels. I liked the look of the game but the spammers were to much for me. Granted I only made it to like level 14 or so. I would like to give this game another try but I do not want to drop 15 dollars to find out that I have to play spam whack a mole the whole time I am logged in.

I left WOW for hopefully the last time. This time it feels like it stuck. So I am kinda wandering around hunting for a new MMO home and what not. Kinda buying my time with guild wars right now due to the no sub but not sure how long I will stick to this game. I would have went back to EQ2 but the game engine runs poorly even on a high end gaming system. Well at least last time i did a trial it ran poorly. Also I am afraid of going back to WAR after the billing issues. Gah im just lost right now in my gaming might just take a break who knows.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 1:58PM bate said

"no longer having interest, relevance, or significance "

This describes Aion in NA/EU. It's looking more and more like L2 every day. I don't remember exactly how long it took for L2 to turn into a complete niche game in the west, but it's pretty clear that Aion is headed down the very same path.

I've been keeping my accounts active for 2.0 that I was hoping may change the game fundamentally in terms of entertainment value, but it seems likely that I will stick around til October.

From now on I will stay well clear of NCSoft in-house developed games.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 2:05PM DrewIW said

The thing to remember is that Aion is very successful in Asia, so any changes are always going to be made with that market in mind. Western players have to put up with whatever is made for the Asian players.

Sometimes it's good, sometimes not so good.

I like the direction the game is finally taking, though.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 2:08PM Crsh said

"Unfortunately for those of us who abhor grinding levels, it also features a cap raised from 50 to 55, and it remains to be seen if those new levels will be as hellish as the current 40 - 50 gauntlet."

Keep in mind most of the folks who were turned off by the grind and have left the game because of it probably never made past lv30, so the 40-50 gauntlet as you say is more like the post-25 gauntlet of death (the one you may very well get through only to ask yourself why you bothered).

Posted: May 3rd 2010 2:12PM Alex Oglitchkin said

Playing as a templar and having full fenris set... I see no reason to even playing 1.9 since it's not adding anything new for me to get. I also have level 40 elite pvp gear. So what does Patch 1.9 offer me? Nothing at all. It's just to let the casuals get geared up and suck less.

Aion already gave itself a bad name from the start and you won't see majority of those people again. There is no real advertising of the game that I see so you won't see many new players and the people who are interested come to the Aion forums and see this.
It's the truth about the balance of the game. Elyos are the most dominant and catered race. You don't build a game on inbalances.

As the person above me stated we are tired of the same mobs every 10 levels with different names. The game is very linear and that hurts the game.

Pvp is a total joke in this game. It's nothing more than ganking lowbies and strength in numbers majority of the time.

By the time 2.0 may even roll around to the US/EU side we will see SWTOR, FF 14, and Tera ( a game that looks promising if En Masse can keep their word). Also WoW's expansion this year which will still get people back into the game for a bit to at least experience the lore.

One last thing.... servers are so lopsided. Zikel = Elyos dominant and the Asmos just keep quitting or rerolling Elyos elsewhere.

Posted: May 4th 2010 1:57PM (Unverified) said

"jesus" yanks never pleased.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 3:48PM (Unverified) said

Having just rolled a character on the test server yesterday and spent some time playing with it, I have to say the increased drop rates from regular mobs makes a huge difference. This is what the drop rate should have been from the start on the live servers. I've been saying this pretty much since the beta, the drop rate in Aion is extremely poor, bordering on insane for some things (like having to kill 100 monsters to get a dropped quest, then have it drop in 3 kills on another character, something very wrong there).

Makes going back to playing on the regular servers very painful. To the point of I almost don't want to play on the non-test servers knowing the drops are so bad.

As to the increased XP, it certainly breaks the lower levels. I think this is why they are going with Energy of Salvation in 1.9 instead of just doubling or tripling XP, so the lower level experience (which I thought was just about right except for quest XP rewards being too low) will remain the same. I just hope they actually increase quest rewards and that the daily quests and EoS tweak will make enough of a difference to be worthwhile. I'm enjoying the game but would find it a lot more fun with the drop rates of the test server.

The huge delay in getting 1.9, and probably even worse delay of 2.0 getting to the western market, is very bad. Aion may go down in MMO history as a potentially great game ruined not by major flaws in the game, but because the management drove most of the player base away because they just couldn't be bothered to make a few simple changes to keep people interested, let alone get patches up and running in ALL their markets in a timely manner. If you claim to be making a game for the entire world market, you darn well better put the money into hiring enough people to make sure areas outside Korea are treated properly, not just as an afterthought.

Posted: May 4th 2010 11:49AM Innocentte said

To be an accurate assesment of Aion, the article should repeat each paragraph 20 to 30 times. Then, inbetween each paragraph should be requests to send $$$ to the author of the article.

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:55PM (Unverified) said

Here is some positivity for you column ,

AION is a piece of crap.

A Shined up, piece of crap coated in 24k gold with sprinkles on top is still a piece of crap.

95% of the people including myself who bought the game because it looked beautiful have already quit and there is nothing that can be done to bring us back.

The gameplay, no end-game, lack of content, grind and no customer support only adds to the fail.

AION is dead, let's hope TERA doesn't follow in it's footsteps.

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:58PM (Unverified) said

"but the reality is that the world of Atreia is very much alive and possessed of a reasonably bright future."

REALLY!?! Considering the servers are pretty much EMPTY I would highly argue this statement.

Out of the 368 ACTIVE people in the guild both my friend and I joined 4 months ago, 16.... yes 16 people are currently still are playing.

Posted: May 5th 2010 12:02AM Jef Reahard said

Indeed, a dead game. So dead that they're spending quite a bit of money adding content. Rofl.

Posted: May 6th 2010 12:35AM (Unverified) said

Jef I totally can see your points in your blog but you have to realize this, EVERYONE (deep down even yourself) knows Aion is a failure. Most people quit after the first month and those that didn't when the reached endgame realized there was no content and moved on to another game.

Oh yeah that quite a bit of money they are using to add content.... if you knew anything you would know that all it is , is a patch from Aion overseas ..(which is much less of a crap-fest than Western Aion is).... if NCSoft West ran Aion and Aion was only a western based MMO the way it is now you wouldn't see any updates.

AION IS D...E....D
DEAD

It was one month after release.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story