Posted: May 3rd 2010 12:49PM Ayonyx said

Perhaps this should be added as a note, the playfield optimization is one of the final things that happens before the playfields are put to live. Currently the loading of resources for each of these playfields could be better, which results in poor memory management and lower framerates. However, by the time the content goes live these playfields should have recieved at least one pass for optimization.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 12:55PM Jef Reahard said

That's fair enough, I'm sure it will get ironed out and it wasn't a game breaker in any event, as I was still able to play long enough to enjoy myself and gather some facts.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 12:58PM Thac0 said

I remember from the Beta at release that the game was significantly slower on my machine than it was after release day. They are still running scripts to debug and whatnot that really bog down your machine with extra processing in Betas. I'd assume this would be the case here as well.

The AA sounds nice. I congratulate anyone trying to think outside the box as far as levels go!

Posted: May 3rd 2010 4:39PM Deadalon said

• 1 heart
Jeff - Did you have crashes and memory problems ?

How frequent were those ? This is a basic factor for alot of players cause the orginal release was unplayable for many cause of these issues.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 5:51PM Jef Reahard said

I crashed twice over the course of the weekend (and played several hours each Saturday and Sunday). Not sure if they were memory problems or whatever, I long ago lost the inclination to troubleshoot computer hardware.

My main concern was the FPS issue, which as I mentioned, went away when I lowered the settings and is likely a combination of my older hardware and the probability that they have a few tweaks yet to make before release.

I'm honestly not worried about performance. I thought the slight negatives warranted mentioning in the interests of full disclosure and a balanced review.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 1:04PM Valentina said

I noticed that too about the performance in some areas. The fact the expansion's regions are far larger than anything we've seen in "vanilla" AoC, and more open may contribute to that.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 1:17PM (Unverified) said

The playfields are actually exactly the same size as exisitng playfields however they much more open than previously so you can wander around and roam free rathert hn be blocked in by mountains etc.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 2:38PM Valentina said

I am pretty sure some of them are much larger, I know that they are open but there is just more space in general that you can run around in.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 3:37PM (Unverified) said

Great review, answered a lot of questions I had difficulty finding.

The funny thing about the bugs you mention is that I already have them on a daily basis in vanilla AoC. I was hoping that Godslayer might be the time that Funcom fixed the glitches that myself and plenty of others are experiencing, but it looks like that might not be the case.

Oh well. We'll still have plenty delicious new content to devour for quite some time. Who will notice a few bugs in the mix?

Posted: May 3rd 2010 4:37PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
Memory problems and slow framerates is nothing new in AOC. The famous line of the fanboys "your computer is crap" doesn't solve things.

Those claiming its a beta thing. AOC had memory problems before orginal launch. AOC had memory problems and crashes after launch. It had loads of them before and loads of them after.

Gameplay should be the key here tho. Framerates should be optimised for recomended spec. For many tho.. the game does barely run on even medium settings without it affecting FPS. You have to ask... is it really worth it - if it affects gameplay this much ?

Posted: May 3rd 2010 4:52PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
What I have noticed about AOC - is that frame rate in dungeons is really jumping alot. Probably this happens cause the dungeons are pretty much just rocks and walls and no real artwork.

But hey - Dungeons are at least better now than what they were in the first months. I remember playing one that had 2 quest objectives and NPC placed in areas that were unreachable at the time.

Well.. lets say the game had loads of room for improvement at the time..

Posted: May 3rd 2010 4:56PM (Unverified) said

deadalon - get a life beyond having had a crappy experience two years ago. my god, you're a broken fricking record - every post, same thing. After hearing about your problems time and time again I would have to say they're user error. Learn how to use Windows then try again.

with that said, I have *no* memory or crashing issues since starting this game again like a month ago - level 50 now

Posted: May 3rd 2010 5:02PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
Here we go again.. "its you and your crappy comptuer"

No it isn't.. Cause if it were.. then Im pretty sure that some of the other games would actually pick up on it. But hey... maybe its just all the other games that are broken.. That usually ends up as the logic when fanboys of AOC are talking.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 5:07PM (Unverified) said

This game asks more than most - tends to find the flaws in your system. Buy some decent RAM, get a name brand video card make sure your drivers are up to date, turn off any cheesy overclocking you've got going on, crank down the graphics so they're appropriate to what you have and give it a try.

How is it that you're having all these problems? When was the last time you had problems with AoC? I can't tell from your posts whether you have an active subscription or not. If you do, then try to imagine the problem is not with Funcom and may be with you. Approach the problem from that angle - most of the rest of the players aren't having your problems. If you don't even play then STFU and GTFO.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 5:30PM Thac0 said

Deadalon its you and your crappy computer!

Posted: May 3rd 2010 6:00PM (Unverified) said

Deadalon, your computer is crap!

Posted: May 3rd 2010 6:10PM madbassman39 said

Wow, just went and clicked your name, and the last 16 out of 20 posts you've had have been about how much you hate AoC. OK, we get it, you don't like AoC, now please stop saying it. Your like a broken record, but at least with a broken record I can throw it in the trash, but even though your comments (and possibly you) should be thrown away (AKA banned), they aren't and you can continue to comment. If you don't like AoC thats fine, no one is trying to tell you otherwise, but you should take a hint from them and stop telling people to not play the game. It's their money and their time. You keep mentioning the NDA like your part of the beta, but yet your comments are the least constructive of all of them. If indeed you are part of the beta, I would hate to be the one reading your stupid remarks in how to make beta better. Jesus, it's time you get a life and move on, stop coming to this site making useless comments. I've been trying so hard in the last day or so reading these comments to not say anything but now you're just getting way out of hand.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 4:57PM Birk said

@Deadalon

It blows my mind that you have made it your personal religious mission to find every AoC thread in existence and denounce this highly entertaining and immersive game. I wont waste time arguing with you; clearly, you listen not to any reasoning. Continue to complain about issues that were a major problem at launch...years ago. Continue to crucify a game that you offer little constructive feedback on. I seriously doubt that you have even touched the game in the last 2 years.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 5:10PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
I just want to remind ppl that NDA is still in place for this Beta for most users. Now that Reporters are starting to give out Info - those ppl that actually have had problems can start to ask them and hope for them to answer truthfully.

Again - NDA is still in place... It looks like gamers will yet again not be allowed to give details of their experience. Only reporters.

Most ppl don't realise tho - that reporters are not allowed to talk about every "feature" in the game. They get permission to talk about certain things.. then have to stay quiet on others.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 5:32PM Cendres said

**splashes positivity**

I'm so excited, I'm so excited!!!! I adore eastern culture and have signed up with a role playing group so I'm reading Conan stories again and looking up Asian myths and ancient culture to prep up my character and her story.

Stability and bugs aside an important and even crucial part of an MMO is it's community. I have to say that in the role playing side of AoC I have had some really fun times, no the game is not perfect, but it has fun dedicated people who actually WANT to play with you, or massacre you if you're on the PvP servers, but that's still love in it's own way.. ;)

I can put up with a variety of things in a game if I'm having fun, as opposed to playing a so called near flawless game and find myself bored within 3 days of playing it. This is actually a new discovery for me because I have spent years being unsatisfied with games and bunny hopping like a mad woman all over MMO space, and you know what? It's just not worth my time anymore.