Posted: May 3rd 2010 10:10PM Saker said

This is a game that could use a sequel, not in the usual MMO sense of a sequel. Just take the existing game, give it new modern graphics/engine (minor changes, no trying to re-invent the wheel), that would be nice.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 10:19PM wjowski said

It had a sequel. It was inferior in every quality save graphics.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 10:23PM darthinfamous said

This game did get a sequel, but was shut down because like you said, it went too far off from the original.

I'm glad to see Massively still covering AC. It was my first MMO and will always hold a place in my heart.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 11:27PM Alarie said

That's awesome. I hope they will be able to do something with character models in the future.

Posted: May 4th 2010 12:07AM wjowski said

At any rate, I should hope they plan on applying this graphical update to player models as well. It'd be kind of pointless to pretty up the environment and then leave everyone looking so many colored polygon blocks.

Posted: May 4th 2010 1:20AM (Unverified) said

Every now and then I would drop the graphical settings on EQ2 to their absolute worse and run around pretending I was placing AC1 again.

It was good for a kick. You'd be surprised at how low-spec you can set EQ2's visuals.

Posted: May 4th 2010 4:18AM (Unverified) said

looks to me like its going from 1999 to 2001. Not a big update IMO.

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:33AM LaughingTarget said

Trying to do too much with the ancient game would break it. Going much further would require a full remake and replacement.

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:41AM (Unverified) said

Well textures are textures, but as much as I love the game (I just started to replay it and now have a level 100 shadow) the UI and the models/armor/architecture really needs a complete overhaul.

Look, they just got bought by WB, the game is 10 years old, invest some money and make it look like you actually care about the game. Tell us, well we would have to redo the entire engine... well so what? Redo the entire engine then. I am sure you have the resources now to push out a redone engine by November.

Posted: May 4th 2010 10:34AM LaughingTarget said

It isn't a matter of resources but if it makes financial sense. Are there existing customers leaving because of the dated engine? Will the new customers bring in enough revenue to make the investment worthwhile? In terms of customer growth or loss avoidance, any major effort would be a huge waste of time. Existing customers are staying on despite the dated engine and the game is too old and too niche to draw a significantly large influx of new players. Those resources would be best off being utilized on a whole new property, not a facelift of a minor MMO.

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:40AM Arkanaloth said

From that screenshot relative to what I've see of AC in the past it looks like they did a great job with the engine and resources available!

Posted: May 4th 2010 9:53AM Seffrid said

It'll be interesting to see how many of those who have always proclaimed AC the best MMO ever and the game they'd return to in a flash if the graphics were updated will now do so!

Posted: May 4th 2010 11:24AM (Unverified) said

I will be returning, hope to find ym account info from way back when.