Posted: May 2nd 2010 1:37PM Tizmah said

The kind of person that is really hard for me to deal with are arrogant or huaghty people. We need more meek and humble people in this world :

Posted: May 2nd 2010 1:44PM (Unverified) said

Not really that different from real life, you have tin pot dictators lording their miniscule authority over their guild members, everyone else being passive aggressive toward the other players and jockeying for favor of said leaders, and people acting out frustrations from other aspects of their life through the game, which results in hilarious rage rants and blow ups over trivial stuff (even in the context of the game.)

Anytime people get together and attempt to do something as a team the same personalities, conflicts, and interpersonal dynamics will emerge. That's why every "I had this one guild leader" or "this dude stole my resource node" story sounds the same.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 1:09AM mysecretid said

@Eric

The points you make nicely sum up why I don't join guilds as a rule. Any benefit I might gain from group play are overshadowed by the twisted social dynamics and petty drama.

Sure, there are good guilds -- even great ones -- but finding such guilds can be a pure guessing game. You never know whether you and a guild will be a good fit until after you join -- and by then, it's too late. :-)

I got lucky once, with an incredibly friendly guild in Dark Age of Camelot, but the only other guilds I've had fun with have been guilds made up of real-life friends. If drama appeared in these latter guilds, it was a lot easier to sort it out quickly, and move on.

Posted: May 2nd 2010 11:08PM (Unverified) said

"by dint of horrendous stupidity regarding the game, or just a general attitude issue..."

It's amazing how often the latter manifests because of the former...

Posted: May 3rd 2010 12:51AM Valdamar said

I'm usually guild leader or an officer, so I'd either kick the intolerable person or (preferably) not recruit them in the first place. I don't join random guilds or recruit random strangers, so it's rare I find myself guilded with anyone I find intolerable. Besides, I'm a very tolerant person so if I found someone intolerable then most of the guild would probably find them intolerable too - it would hopefully be easy to engineer enough guild support to guild-kick them or stage a mutiny and oust them.

In EverQuest I did once get guild-kicked by a guildleader who had become intolerable and power-crazy, which prompted half the guild to guildquit and come join me to form a new guild, so I guess that counts. She got the leader flag by default when the original guildleader quit from MMO burnout - he later returned to the game and told me he'd only given her the leader flag because I wasn't online on the last day of his subscription and he'd asked her to pass the flag to me when I logged in (she was one of his RL friends, so we'd both trusted her at her word).

She pushed an anti-raiding agenda when most of the guild were pro-raiding, cutting raiding from 4-5 nights per week down to once at weekends. She bloated the guild with tons of new recruits who were usually unsuitable, then wanted us to scrap DKP and use random rolls on raids "to be fair to the new people." She made lots more terrible decisions without consulting any of us officers, She liked to style herself as "mother" of our big "family" guild ("mother knows best!"), but we were a raiding guild* and few of us wanted to be treated like children. (* a year before we had merged a few casual/family guilds together, smoothly and with little drama, implicitly to create a raiding guild capable of regularly doing 54-person raids without allies).

After she drove away the other two raid-leading officers with her daft decisions most of the veteran members and other officers in the guild started treating me as defacto guildleader, even though I didn't have the leader flag, because I was the only officer leading raids, setting the raid calendar, running DKP, plus I had led one of the smaller original guilds that had merged to form this guild. She hated how much support I had so she guildkicked me for spurious reasons (I was "fomenting dissent" lol) and consequently tore "her" guild in half - all the new recruits stayed with her, but the veterans left with me to build a new raiding guild (which proved very successful for a year or so - til I quit from MMO burnout). Funnily enough a few months afterwards that intolerable guildleader was begging us for help with some of the raid mobs to get her epic - what goes round, comes round.

It continues to amuse me when people in online games try to lead others by the force of their own personality/will, as if they think they are destined to lead, rather than earning the role by proper leadership skills and deeds that will be popular with the majority - at least it amuses me when it's not happening in my own guild.

A few British politicians could do with learning that same lesson at the moment.