Posted: May 1st 2010 6:56PM Graill440 said

I never give a company that has discredited themselves with me and taken my money under fraudulant conditions a second chance. However i have never stated i dont re-review for others, as long as they pay for it. Its a gamble with entertainment, when it comes to cash i take theft seriously, its not that an MMO fails, its the point they took my mney after committing fraud. Those that think MMO's are "works in progress" or "never finished" are idiots.

I have looked at two games for friends in the last 6 months, they foot the bill, AION and AOC, both still received failing grades for practical reasons. While AOC has vastly improved over what it was two years ago, its still not where it should be and the population is tiny and very socialist driven, possibly because its a euro model, the patch wont save it, not with the MMO's coming out, interest will flip flop and they will drop, with other failed and mismanaged MMO's to the wayside.

Aion is still the same piece of dung it was from the start, driven by asian execs that have no clue and balless devs that are afraid to help it, that in a nutshell, i wont go into details as many of you have read enough about this title.

Be practical, wait till others waste money or the forums state a game is worth trying, if the entertainment isnt there, its done, why go back to a bad relationship unless its for a night of pity.......

Posted: May 1st 2010 11:33PM archer75 said

I give MMO's a lot of tries. But I think the one that best fits this example is wow. I hated it at first and didn't play long. But later went back and have been playing off and on for years. Though I just cancelled my account and am now looking for another.
I own on EQ2, AoC, War and EVE. I think i'm done with EVE for good, I just have a hard time sticking with it and getting into it, even though I have a 33million skill point character. I was thinking of giving EQ2 another go, only hit max level there of 20. Or AoC, max level of 12.
I really want to like Star Trek Online but the late beta impressions for me were just horrible.

Posted: May 2nd 2010 1:05AM Doran7 said

Tabula Rasa.. whne I first tried it was had too many problems.. Tried it again for the last 5 months of it's life. It was a pretty good game.

Posted: May 2nd 2010 12:18AM (Unverified) said

i've taken a break from a few MMOs that i've enjoyed, and i've quit some outright after a couple months (or a couple hours) that just didn't appeal to me. all of the games i enjoyed for some time but eventually became bored with were still boring when i went back a year or so later to retry them. some may have had some interesting additions which were appealing for a short-term distraction (like LotRO's skirmish system), but the original reason(s) for my departure eventually resurfaced, bringing me to quit them for good. of the MMOs which i left quickly (read = ran away screaming), only one have i gone back and tried again, and that was only after reading many players' positive reviews. AoC has not only lived through a fairly crummy beta & launch, but actually implemented some really decent changes which have made it a game much better than it's original state at launch. i really enjoyed the Conan IP and hoped the game would live up to it's launch hype, so when it didn't i was pretty disappointed. going back now, i am glad to say i've resubbed and am having a really good time with it. it's great that at least one game which i couldn't quit quickly enough in it's first month has successfully brought me back.

Posted: May 2nd 2010 4:44PM (Unverified) said

Twice: Eve Online and World of Warcraft.

Posted: May 2nd 2010 4:25AM Unverfied B said

Mostly never I rarely go back to games that i didn't like.

There was Tabula Rasa that i bought at release, played for a month then quit... Returned after a while and really got into it but then NC killed it :( Yeah that game was very unfinished but had a lot of potential, if only they just tried to improve it, instead of just closing... screw NC.

I also have a couple of MMOs that i just can't seem to quit permanently... UO is one of them, have played on and off for like... 12 years, mostly subbing for a month or 2 then geting bored again, but still loving the game.

Posted: May 2nd 2010 12:36PM Valdamar said

^ This. If I quit an MMO then it's unlikely the Devs could/would ever patch away the reason that made me quit. There are only two reasons I tend to quit MMOs - either I really don't like the community's behaviour in-game (something that rarely changes that drastically in MMOs over time) and/or more likely is that I don't find the game fun/fair/satisfying due to fundamental design decisions (the kind of major gameplay features that don't change - well, unless you're playing an SOE MMO where everything is subject to drastic changes overnight... though usually not for the better).

I also wouldn't give MMOs I'd quit second chances because there are always plenty of new MMOs to try - faced with retrying something relatively familiar or playing something completely new I'll always go with new experiences.

Sure I often think about returning to both EverQuests, DAoC or even WoW for nostalgia reasons, but I know I never would - nostalgia is always a lie - no MMO is ever as good as the enjoyable parts of it you remember, and I know the reasons I quit those MMOs are still central to their gameplay.

Posted: May 2nd 2010 5:08PM raven7680 said

For me never......recent example played Alganon in beta hated it (so much wrong with the game it would take a novel and then some just to talk about bugs etc.) Decided to give 2.0 a try after all the talk from Smart about how awsome it was going to be.....well its not the game is still a steaming pile of turd. Lots of beta bugs are still there and there are some new bugs that showed up in 2.0! I just can't see spending 20 bucks plus whatever I would spend in the Tribute Store when I can wait for games like SWTOR and FF14 to come out.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 11:46AM (Unverified) said

During periods when I'm bored I'll go back to an MMO and give it another go. Most of the time I don't stick around more than a few days.

The only one that has stuck with me so far has been Dungeons and Dragons Online. I tried it in beta and the first days of launch but wasn't a big fan. However, after trying it again several weeks ago I got hooked. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more fun it is now.

Posted: May 4th 2010 11:16AM (Unverified) said

The only MMO that I successfully gave a second chance to was WAR. Between the horrible press at lauch (those last minute city/class removals were a death sentence) and the inital lag problems, I didn't last a week the first time out. I went back just for something to pass the time this past x-mas. After linking up with a good guild, I found myself hooked.

I did give CoX two short attempts but can't get into it. I also wasted years in WoW as as well, but it was soley the RL friends that kept me in that long.

Posted: May 7th 2010 6:10PM (Unverified) said

Walked away from EVE in frustration, but about 6 months later I found other games just not providing the challenge... got back in and spent a couple weeks reading crazykinux's blog pack to find an EVE corp that was a good fit. The learning curve is ridiculous, but it's the only proper spaceship MMO, and I love how everyone is on one cluster. You get a reputation, it stays with you. No server hopping.

And the adrenaline rush of the PvP is insane. We're rolling small gangs of 12-15 cruisers tracking down pirate players in lowsec on the weekends. Good times!