Posted: Apr 30th 2010 12:19PM DrewIW said

I picked up lotro during their $10 deal, and the classes are definitely a refreshing change from the standard fantasy archetypes.

Playing a Warden is interesting, since it seems like you get several self-heals and in-combat morale regen, making it easier to handle several mobs, or elites.

Unfortunately it looks like Wardens don't have as clear a role in the endgame, but that's not a concern right now.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 12:47PM (Unverified) said

The Warden does have an end-game role, they're tanks.
It's just that a really good Warden is hard to come by sometimes.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 4:21PM ScottishViking said

Yep, Wardens are great off-tanks. If you're 6-manning, and you know a healer is gonna get aggro, it's best to bring a guard and a warden. Guard gets main aggro, and warden is "wandering aggro" -- for any mobs who try to take on the LMs or Minnies. This setup has worked brilliantly for me in the past.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 12:35PM WyattEarp89 said

I enjoyed your article and I agree. My first and highest level character is a Lore-Master which I really enjoy playing. I am never bored when I am in a group since I have plenty of things to do. But after playing since Nov. 07 it is time that I make a new character and level him up.

I have tried other classes but I just can't seem to stick with it. But one class that I thought I would never play since most players complain that it is too boring... that class is the Captain. The Captain was the last class I thought I would enjoy playing, but I do lol.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 12:45PM (Unverified) said

I'd have to say that the Warden's signature is Conviction, a gambit that transfers threat from their fellows while simultaneously giving them a heal over time...

Great summary otherwise!

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 3:04PM gildhur said

Definitely either Conviction or Exultation of Battle. The two most powerful gambits in the Warden's arsenal.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 1:04PM Tom in VA said

I enjoyed trying all of the classes in LotRO and played most of them at least as far as the (level) 30s. The only two classes that didn't really grab me were the two new ones -- RK and Warden.

LotRO is a fine MMO, although a bit too group/LFG-intensive for my tastes. I found it frustrating that so many of the quest lines started out soloable but ultimately led to some group/instance quest for which you could never find anyone to help.

Still and all, though, LotRO is a pretty well-made game. Thanks for these articles. :)

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 1:15PM (Unverified) said

You may be interested to know that all of the Volume One Epic Quests are now soloable. There are enough solo quests to take you to level 65 without too many problems, especially if you factor skirmishes in.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 1:14PM DancingTaco said

I have many classes, too many to list.. My favorites are the Capt, Mini, and Burg in that order.. Captains are awesome and will never get the props they deserve, but like the article says they do some of everything. All the time I catch a last minute heal that saves some poor fools life, only to hear thanks go to the mini (who was busy healing someone else:P) Many times I hear how some champ is doing outrageous DPS and congratulate them on getting a mob down so quick, when it was my 2400K crit that broke the poor mob.. We do not get noticed, until we are not there, but everyone needs us so its a good class to play, just do not expect to receive much praise.. Remember to thank your Captain the next time you are playing with one;)

Posted: May 10th 2010 6:09AM jastani said

LOL so true.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 1:18PM Wisdomandlore said

Wardens are fantastic in the end-game when played well. They're even better than Guardians thanks to their ability to heal themselves and transfer threat. It does them much longer to build threat, but once they do it's pretty much locked on thanks to their Threat over Time abilities. The best way to start off a fight with a Warden in a group is to have a Minstrel use Call to Greatness (increases threat and damage on Wardens) then Ambush.

Also I wouldn't Burglar DPS. They are not Rogues or Assassins. In fact, after Turbine nerfed CC (and since Burglars can't CC non-humanoids), gave LMs got some equally amazing debuffs, and reduced importance on Fellowship Maneuvers, Burglars don't excel in anything at all. Not that they're bad to have in a party, but they're more of a jack of all trades class at this point.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 2:08PM (Unverified) said

Great guide! This has made me sign up for a trial a/c so I'm wondering if anyone could point me to a fun-to-play class? I've been playing WoW for three years so I think I'll appreciate a change.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 2:42PM (Unverified) said

I'd personally recommend trying the Lorekeeper which is quite unlike anything I have tried in other MMOs.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 4:21PM ScottishViking said

Err, you mean Loremaster? ;)

If you want "different", I'd suggest a Warden. The combo system is pretty cool and different from what I've seen in many MMOs. And yes, the Loremaster is a strange class, but I'd recommend it only for someone who is OK with "complex" characters (especially on the cc front).

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 3:09PM gildhur said

Great summary, but I'd like to correct one thing about Champions. While Relentless Strike is definitely a powerful skill once it's upgraded at level 62 (up to 5k damage in a single hit), the signature skill for Champions is without question Raging Blade. It's a massive AOE swing with the biggest range of any melee skill in the game, hits up to 13 targets (8 untraited) 2-3 times depending on DW or 2H), adds threat, and makes the coolest sound in the game ("SHING SHING"). That sound has even become the official Champion salute in the last year or so. Other than that, pretty accurate summary of each class.

/shing

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 3:32PM Wisdomandlore said

Raging Blades certainly is the signature skill of Champions. As in "I'm CC'ing the adds. Don't use Raging Blades. I SAID DON'T USE RAGING BLADES!" ;)

Posted: May 1st 2010 8:28AM gildhur said

SHING SHING!

Gildhur has freed Guldur Guard from their daze with an attack.
Gildhur has freed Guldur Sorcerer from their daze with an attack.
Gildhur has freed Guldur Guard from their daze with an attack.

:-D

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 3:48PM Sorithal said

I

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 6:47PM Varli said

I really enjoyed this article as well, and the links that went along with it. Especially Colred's forum post. That made me chuckle.

I have been playing a Captain myself, and I am loving it. I am about to head into Moria for the first time, so it should be pretty interesting to see. Those two abilities that you listed, plus the fact that we can battle rez 3 people with 2 abilites (If properly traited) really make the class stand out.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 3:16PM (Unverified) said

Great article Justin! Makes me want to pick up the game and try out a Captain!
| 1 | 2 |