Posted: Apr 30th 2010 8:23AM Ephe said

Personally I have no problem with the fantasy genre, my problem is with the traditional MMO template most fantasy games use. Same type of quests, same type of leveling system, same endgame. There's nothing refreshing and new to do at max level in any of them. Nobody tries to stick their neck out and reinvent the genre, instead of using the same old formula in different packaging. The last game i tried out was AoC which was the same thing. Every new area brought the same kind of tedious stereotypical quests, it was like doing the same things in a different environment. I loved the lore and the world, and I'm a big fan of Conan comics, but that alone isn't enough to keep one person playing. Once I hit 80 there was little reason to log on except once or twice weekly to do raids. There is no way to grow your character after that, no achievements except the gear grind which every other MMO has on the market. PvP was ridiculous as a healer, and other things are non-existant or not worth doing. Only option is rolling an alt, but I'm fed up with repeating content.

Guild Wars 2 can't come soon enough. I've stopped spending money on traditional MMOs. It's too much investment for 2-3 months of "fun" it takes me to get through the content and virtually have nothing to do except grind.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 11:59AM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately, gaming is a business, which means making the most money possible. MMOs have been, and always will be, made for the average gamer. They coddle and placate so that people feel good playing them, no matter HOW lousy they are at gaming.

Sure, the devs might add 'hardcore' servers or whatever to appease the sociopaths, but the core of MMOs is always pretty much the same. It will be many years before anyone will make an MMO that 'breaks the mold'. I'll probably be long dead by then.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 1:41PM karnisov said

@tomi: yes exactly, its not the setting thats the problem. its the same old tired game mechanics that are the problem.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 2:36PM Birk said

I dont know if it appeals to you, but the new AoC expansion is offering some means of alternate advancement at max level. Again, I dont harbour any illusions that its going to revolutionize the entire genre...but an expansion pack that shirks levelling in favour of a different path of advancement is good in my books.

Now, of course, you could make a case that WoW is going the same route with the Path of the Titans, and limiting new levels to 5.

Who knows, maybe that will breathe some new life into WoW, allowing for more dynamic character development choices outside of the standard cookie-cutter builds. A WoW renaissance, if you will.

I digress; but it wouldnt be the worst thing for you to check out Rise of the Godslayer, if youre a fan of AoC in even the most basic sense. Give it a shot!

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 8:35AM TheGreatMachine said

What annoys me is for something that is called 'fantasy' there's very little that's fantastical about it anymore. The elves are no longer mysterious, the drunken dwarves are painfully cliche; all the demons, dragons and orcs are far too familiar to be threatening.

You can have a setting that has the equivilant technology of a medieval or renaissence period and still bring fresh and original ideas to the table. Instead the vast majority go for something so damned homogenous it's no wonder people have 'fantasy burnout'

Tolkein's work was rooted in age old mythology for sure, but it was a completely fresh and modern spin on it at the time he was writing. It's time to approach the 'mythologies' of the 20th century with a similar spirit.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 8:46AM archipelagos said

Completely agreed.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 10:33AM nomoredroids said

I think I love you.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 8:44AM archipelagos said

Definitely. It's been way overdone but the good news is that there are more and more alternatives popping up. Depending on how SW: TOR does I reckon the next really, really overdone genre will be Sci-Fi.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 8:51AM Meagen said

The game I'm looking forward to the most is Guild Wars 2, so... no.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 8:59AM (Unverified) said

Little... playing EVE and STO is little refreshing. However, fantasy is still my main where sci-fi is just an alt.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:32AM Forger said

Touche

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:07AM Pewpdaddy said

More of the same for me, the current environment has me trying any number of things... I mean I've even turned my Wii on over the past few weeks just trying to get by. I've stopped subbing to anything, I'll burn some DDO points, and lots of dead things in Global Agenda to limp along until FFXIV or something comes out. Fantasy is defenately my favorite genre, but its so flooded right now with unoriginal works.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:10AM (Unverified) said

Not so much burned out on the fantasy genre, but more burned out on the lack of originality of the content, quest systems, and repetition. I like different spins on the same generic fantasy creatures ad weapons/gear, but the paths laid out in every game end up being too similar to hold my attention for long periods of time. I'm currently trapped in a pattern of game-hopping, just biding my time with the same old until (hopefully) something truly new and refreshing breaks the pattern of boredom.

TOR, FF14, GW2...someone please hold my interest.

Fallen Earth was a great change from the norm, but even the post apocalyptic setting only held me for a couple months. I am enjoying Champions Online, but there's still something missing that hasn't completely won me over into total mindless unquestionable addiction.

On the other hand, its kind of nice to not think "must log in every day and get shiny stuff". Casual wins.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:10AM Serious Table said

Yes. So very yes. THe last time I tried to do a count, there were some 260+ fantasy games, and MAYBE 40 Sci-fi. And most hadn't even been released yet.

Sci-fi has been my life blood for the longest time, but the MMO Sci-fi genre is just... empty. EVE Online is fantastic, of course, but it really feels like the only one right now. And yes, I gave STO a try. We won't be going back to that debacle for a very long time.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:29AM elocke said

It isn't fantasy burnout, it is lack of everything else. I'm not going to blame fantasy as the reason people want other genres. I'm going to blame the facts, they aren't making them!

I personally will always love fantasy, however, I would like some different scenery every now and then the same way I do with my movies. Some weeks I watch sci fi, some weeks horror, some weeks drama and comedy. Some weeks fantasy, and then I go back to scifi or horror. It's all about choices and variety. That's what will sell and what people really want.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:36AM (Unverified) said

I cannot get enough, and always want more.

I have tried Sci-Fi, but all of the MMO's disappoint me. BUT, I would change genres if say World of Darkness or Secret World launched. Horror happens to be my 2nd favorite genre.

For now...I will do ALL fantasy until I throw it up.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:59AM (Unverified) said

Asherons Call had some original fantasy races: Lugians and Tumeroks.

The problem with trying to "escape" the generic fantasy is that there are so FEW choices.
Of the few there are a good portion are old / dated (Anarchy, SWG), low quality (FE) or just plain old not that good (EVE - spreadsheets in space pretending to be PvP - that should get the EVE cult excited, STO).
That leaves the Sci-Fi gamer with very little options.

You can count on one hand the amount of SciFi games while there are literally HUNDREDS of fantasy grinders (most of which are garbage)

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 10:41AM Psychotic Storm said

Never liked fantasy that much, sci fi on the other hand is where my love is.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 10:49AM Jesspiper said

I don't have fantasy burnout, I have everything that isn't Guild Wars 2 burnout!

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 10:50AM (Unverified) said

I still like fantasy. It can get a little old sometimes, sure, but then you play/read something else.