Posted: Apr 30th 2010 2:57PM koehler83 said

While I haven't played much since back during the beta and shortly after launch, I do check in from time to time just to see what they've added, spend Station Cash that SOE dolls out periodically, and generally give it a quick whirl.

In addition to just genuinely becoming more rad by adding and opening up more things to members and non-members alike and really trying to maintain a kid-friendly but age-agnostic approach; They've also made quite a few UI and gameplay changes that, to me, seem console oriented. In the process a lot of things have been streamlined. For that reason, I never really doubted a PS3 release though it's admittedly taken longer than I expected. I thought it would show up within it's first year. It's release has probably become tied to PlayStation Move, which seems like an obvious implementation.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 3:13PM BaronJuJu said

Wow, this will definitely bring in even more folks. I'm interested to see how its going to handle on the console along with the chat. Nice to see MMO's making the crossover more.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 3:20PM (Unverified) said

While I don’t give a crap about the PS3 or Free Realms this is big news. If this makes Sony good money you can bet that we’ll see other mmo’s ported over to the console world. Storage will still be an issue as well as interfacing with a controller, (PS3 can use a keyboard/mouse while the 360 cant.)

Since Sony owns a bunch of mmo’s porting them over wont be difficult from a legal standpoint, but with the 360 there would probably be all kinds of issues since Microsoft doesn’t have any mmo’s in it’s stable.

The next generation of game consoles may very well be designed with mmo’s in mind and vice-versa, especially considering how successful micro-transactions and DLC have been on both Xbox Live and in mmos.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 3:56PM Samael said

The other good thing about storage with the PS3 is that it does not have proprietary HDD, you can easily just buy a few 250GB or whatever HDD and plug it in and it will start working. And it will be a lot cheaper than the 360 proprietary HDD. Hence space should not be a problem at all. And yes the PS3 can accept a keyboard and a mouse, but I want to see an MMO that can be played on the controller.

Something like the controls of CO. The game might not be great but CO has figured out good controls for the 360 controller.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 11:14PM (Unverified) said

My theory (which I got the idea from another player on the forums) is that they drastically simplified the combat to make it easier to do on a PS3 controller. NGE deja vu.

Posted: May 1st 2010 10:58PM (Unverified) said

Definitely, as soon as I saw the new easier combat I figured it was mainly because the game was being ported to the PS3. The strange thing is, there was really no need to do that, I play the game with a Logitech gamepad, very similar to the PlayStation controllers, so I guess they figure console players couldn't handle the original combat, which was fairly easy anyway, but a lot more fun than the current "spam 1 and 2 keys".

As Free Realms seems to be a test bed for features of future SOE games (namely DC Universe), I can only hope that the super easy combat is not something that will be carried over to them.

Posted: May 1st 2010 12:17AM (Unverified) said

At least it'll be slightly more entertaining than that PS3 Home crap.

Posted: May 1st 2010 12:09AM Wilhelm2451 said

They are going to show it at E3. I still bet they won't ship it for PS3 this year. After all, they've shown The Agency before as well, and that is still nowhere to be seen.