Posted: Apr 30th 2010 5:51PM Hild said

Had a great time on Wednesday. Other players were pro and we ran the dungeons on elite!

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 6:03PM JoeH42 said

Yeah, Wednesday was fun. Shout out to anyone else who was in the group with Vorac :) I'm hoping this next week that we'll do the Cerulean Hills wilderness area and/or irestone. I love DDO but sometimes I get tired of constantly being inside some sort of crypt/sewer/underground area all the time.
One quick comment on this article's subject: Most people already know this, but if anyone in the party dies AND releases from their body, the whole group loses 20% of their XP when that person comes back inside the quest. So you want to avoid anyone leaving the quest area for any reason. However, sometimes a quest doesn't have many rest shrines or is hard enough that you just have to say 'to heck with XP, we're not going to finish this quest without more SP' and let your cleric release so they can go to a tavern and fill up on SP before coming back in. Or sometimes you're going to decide it's worth the XP loss for other reasons (like boots of FF when doing The Pit). In any case, it's something to keep in mind.

Posted: May 3rd 2010 9:09AM Rubi said

Joe, you do NOT want to miss this Wednesday night. I think you'll like it. ;-)

Posted: May 4th 2010 12:35AM JoeH42 said

Oh, I'll be there for sure :) I'm lucky my current job lets me off on Wednesday nights (of course, hoping my future job will be at Massively!) My best theory on the big surprise is guest passes to some paid content (Three Barrel Cove is my personal favorite, best puzzle in the game and one of my favorite quests). If not, well it's a decent idea for a future event :D

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 6:08PM JoeH42 said

P.S.: There is sometimes a small bonus to XP from disabling traps. So if you've got a rogue (or someone with a splash of rogue) in your party and there's a trap that's easy to avoid or is a 1-shot trap, it pays to let the rogue disable it anyways.
And I'll also mention that the first time you do a dungeon on each degree of difficulty you gain a bonus to XP for doing it the first time on normal, hard, and elite.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 6:29PM (Unverified) said

Actually, there are XP bonuses from doing almost anything. Killing lots of monsters, killing no monsters, disabling lots of traps, breaking lots of boxes. To get the best XP bonuses you want to pick a direction and be as extreme as possible with it.

Not to mention, the XP bonuses for no-death and no-release and first clear on a level multiply with the secret quest bonuses, so if you're smart and plan ahead, you can really ratchet up the XP gain per quest to an impressive number.

That was one of my favorite things about DDO. Playing smart led to better PvP than just mindlessly killing mobs en masse or kiting elites.

-SirNiko

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 6:30PM (Unverified) said

Er, that is, better EXP, not PvP.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 6:30PM (Unverified) said

I'd like to mention how to best maximize xp in a party as well, consider it the "Rule of Four." If someone is either five levels above or below the lowest/highest level member of the party, then the group faces a "powerleveling" penalty that affects the person outside of the range of four. So, if there's a level 7 in the group and a level 11 joins, the level 7 person will not get ANY xp for running the quest. So, the best advice for putting up LFM's is to remember the rule of four, set the level range to 6-9, 7-10, 8-11, 9-12, etc.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 6:51PM Beau Hindman said

This has honestly been some of the most fun I have had! I stream the whole event live, too! lol Thanks for working so hard on it Rube!

Beau

Posted: May 4th 2010 12:40AM JoeH42 said

Very good advice. I've also noticed when it comes to doing wilderness areas that sometimes it'll warn you that you're not getting any credit for slayer and etc. but it doesn't actually happen. And other times it does. So, same sort of deal with levels can effect things like that.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM