Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:04AM Not THAT Matt said

This is actually one of the smartest plans I've heard - they aren't punishing more casual players, and pay-as-you-go for the non-casual stuff is both competitively priced and pretty lenient in general.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:36AM Renko said

Agree completely, I'd really like to see this pay by the hour method catch on and be used by other MMOs. I find it hard to justify paying for a monthly fee for games I know I'll only play casually.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 2:16PM CCon99 said

Huh? I could see if they gave you 20 hours for $2-$4, but the difference between 20 hours and 30 unlimited days is only $3. You can buy 20 hours for $7 or unlimited access for $10.

I guess if you only get to play 2 hours a week or 10 hours each month, it's better then paying for a full month.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 11:07PM Not THAT Matt said

If I could pay less than half the cost of my WoW subscription, I'd gladly maintain an EQ2 and LOTRO subscription as well. But $30 for both of the "extra" subscriptions is a lot more than $14, when I know I'd probably only play each of them 10-15 hours a month, if not less.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:09AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
While I can appreciate the fact that they are trying to shake things up as far as payment plans go, I have a hard time paying "by the hour" to play a game.

On the other hand, the normal 30 day plan is less than other games charge per month. Are they expecting this to not be as good of a game? Or do they plan on making their money off us in the cash shop?

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:19AM Le Chat Noir said

Or maybe they're just trying to be competitive and deviate away from the same pricing system MMO's have used for the last 10 years :)

I'd probably opt for 30 days access just like a typical MMO but the 20 hour deal sounds good. I've sometimes left a game, returned for nostalgia, paid my 30 days subscription and only played it for a couple of days before leaving it again. In that instance the 20 hours would've been perfect, sat there for when I want to use them.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 12:10PM Snichy said

Damned if they do, Damned if they dont!

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:41AM Screwie said

Did they release the prices for UK and EU players, Jef?

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:28AM NeoDodge said

I wouldn't count on that too much. Those hours probably have an expiration date on them.

Still, the model seems solid and definitely advantageous compared to most other p2p games. I might even consider it when the game gets a discount on Steam :P

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 2:04PM JustPlainJim said

They've already said that the hours don't ever expire.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:30AM Firebreak said

I love this pricing model. It really fits well into my schedule, plus with so many MMOs out there I think more options for payment is a really good thing.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:34AM elocke said

• 1 heart
I'm glad I got to "see" this game in action, ahem. I will not be spending any money AT ALL on this one. A huge emphatic "I don't get it." comes from me surrounding any and all hype on this one. Especially after having "seen" it. ;D

I'll be glad when it comes out and quickly falls under the radar. And it will. Just like Crimecraft did.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:39AM shipwreck said

So, if you don't pay for 'action time' do you get to hang out in the social districts for free?

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 2:09PM JustPlainJim said

Their press release made it sound like the hours you buy will only be used as you spend time in the action zones, not in the social districts.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:40AM Jef Reahard said

Updated the OP with non-US pricing info.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Whoa, you need to pay to play the game after you buy it? I thought they were going with a Guild Wars type subscription model where you just buy the game and then play as you want, but with the addition of a micro-transaction shop for added revenue.

How disappointing. Unless the game ends up being absolutely amazing I don’t see myself buying it now.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:49AM Drannos said

At first glance, this reminds me of cell phone plans. People have no problem with usage-based billing for their wireless phone, but for some reason, with a game...?

I like the idea, honestly. Anything that provides MORE choice to the consumer can't be all bad. For someone with kids, it will take me two or more months (probably) to burn through 50 hours. And I have choices after that.

Remember, they offer the full-month subscription of 'unlimited' access. For LESS than a standard MMO!

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 10:44AM (Unverified) said

"People have no problem with usage-based billing for their wireless phone"

Seriously?? With Sprint leading the charge, cellphones are headed towards an 'all you can eat' model. I can't wait - much like the ridiculous hourly rates (or by the minute rates) for internet in the early 90s these pay by the hour plans are scams...

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 11:06AM Drannos said

Seriously.

Look at Sprint vs. AT&T or Verizon. Sure, they've got all you can eat, but how many subscribers are they pulling away? And how much have their flat rate plans influenced the others? Not much...

The point I was trying to make is that people are accustomed to usage-based billing in some things. They may not like it, but they know it :-) PLUS, you have MORE choices with APB - flat rate *or* usage-based.

For me, more choices are better for us, the players.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 9:57AM Minofan said

I'm still skeptical if the game itself has the mileage to warrant subscription, but the subscription set-up itself seems very smart.

/ThumbsUp