Posted: Apr 29th 2010 2:24PM Arkanaloth said

I'm certainly going to give GW2 a try, I love the first one.. but I must admit I'm hearing a lot of things that make me think it's a lot more group centric and not necessarily in a good way.

One thing I love about GW is my AI team. Yesterday i was mid-mission when I got a call from a friend about helping him do some work on his fence. So I parked my team in a safe spot because I was deep in this mission and didn't want to start over. Came back 4 hours later and finished it. As I put it; GuildWars is a game that fits around my life, not a game I have to fit my life around.

player / player synergies are great things, but in the process are we loosing one of the best parts of GW? Time will tell and I *REALLY* hope I'm wrong.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 2:41PM Arkanaloth said

bahh.. Losing, english is my first language... *GOOD* english is not. >_>

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 5:37PM Tom in VA said

Ark, I think we are very much on the same page about GW2: guardedly optimistic but also apprehensive.

I will certainly miss my AI team option TERRIBLY in GW2. I am trying to keep an open mind about the game -- after all, these people did come up with my favorite game ever (GW1) -- but the loss of the AI team, the loss of the secondary profession, is ... disappointing, to say the least.

The fact that, in GW1, you could work with an AI team, an AI + player team, or an all-player team was pure genius, imo.

The "now you get 20 skill slots" (assuming you team up with another player argument) flat-out sucks, in my opinion. So, it all depends on LFG, now, does it? :(

It sounds to me like GW2 is taking gigantic strides into the well-trod path of umpty-ump other generic MMOs. GW2 sounds decidedly more WoW-like and LotRO-like (than GW1) every time I hear more about it, which is really too bad.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

Okay, if you can't even get two monks to sync their +block enchants with heal on hit enchants, or ZB + WoH together in a pug, what are the chances that you'll be able to get whole skill bar syncs before hand? Granted, good players are always the exception, but considering anet is catering to new players more with (and ugh I hate to say it), simplified and more restrict mechanics, good players will be all the more rare.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 4:40PM (Unverified) said

A little put off by the no secondary profession, but I can roll with this. The rest of the system seems pretty well setup. So as long as character creation customization is there and so is skill diversity, then I will be more then happy with how the game is being built at present. In fact very excited, had an idea for a similar skill setup a few years back (posted it on GamerDNA) interesting to see ArenaNet and I are thinking along the same lines.

Can't wait for testing! ^_^

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 2:36PM Meagen said

One of the few things they'll be saying since the start, GW will always be "pay for the box, no monthly fee to play".

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 2:39PM Sunlover said

Disagree about the frequency of my avatar's use of speech and catch phrases. I have been playing MMOs for a while now and am sick to death of lifeless, boring, mute avatars who lack personality. I'd love to hear a LOT more speech in my MMOs, especially during combat. The fact that my brash, cocky, bravado spewing rogue or in this case elementalist/mage can actually talk smack during battle excites me and makes me want to play that much more. It would be great if we could choose from a set of different voices/personalities (Wise, Confident, Strong, Shy, Angry, Etc.). Just keep it varied and mix in some grunts or yells or whatever and I'll be a happy camper.

For those who don't like character speech, allow them to turn off their own and that of others around them, or allow them to throttle the frequency, and they'll be fine. But for those of us who like more lifelike characters with personality that extends beyond just looks, please, don't ruin it for us. I have been waiting a long time for the characters that I control in my MMOs to seem less dead, and it looks like Guild Wars 2 may actually be what I've been waiting for.

I have been really stoked about the SWTOR videos lately, but the lack of any battle voices and personality from avatars during fights concerned me. Seeing, and hearing, the great voice work and awesome animations in these latest GW2 vids has really gotten me pumped. Awesome job, Arenanet! Can't wait!

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 2:50PM (Unverified) said

About battle voices, in many other games like Mass Effect 2 or Modern Warfare 2 there's a lot of talking and commenting being done by your team members in combat.
It doesn't hinder me in those games at all, even more, I find the battle comments often very useful and adding to the atmosphere.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 3:25PM Mikx said

I like the weapon skills actually, they give your choice of weapon more impact. It will be great for spellcasters, who will have to make more of a choice between a staff or scepter/focus setup. And if Elementalists can equip swords or something, that would give them unique skills they could actually use.

It could also be great for warriors, especially if this means we could do away with systems like the sword/hammer/axe attributes (and maybe even skills) leaving you with strength tactics and maybe something else to boost your character. In GW1 most of your choice with skills and attributes is taken away by the weapons you equip. This new way, on the fly weapon switching could be more effective.

Once they decided on having multiple races, I'm glad they decided to put as much work into making them as distinct as possible from a gameplay standpoint. And its great that they seem to have multiple skills, instead of a couple. Even more surprising are the elite racial skills. Given these developments, I could stand stand the loss of the secondary prof.

What does concern me though is a potential lack of content, (the only thing about the event system that sounds troubling, otherwise its quite frankly organic and revolutionary) and the game will need a fast and effective way to combat leechers.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:02PM WarnerYoung said

So their comments about 2 professions working together at least *implies* that Warrior is one of the professions. I think...

So no spear or scythe in the confirmed weapon lists: meaning no Paragon or Dervish? Or at least, no class that's exactly like the current Paragon/Dervish.

If your profession + race is the equivalent of the current primary/secondary profession, I wonder if we'll be able to change professions at some point. I'm guessing changing race won't be possible, so being able to stay the same race but change profession might make things almost like the current GW setup.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:28PM Arkanaloth said

I could easily get into being able to change professions...

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:06PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
"you're going to have twenty skill slots to work with ..." Goodbye GW hello another WoW clone.

Heh, I guess the excitement was too much to last, it's amazing how Anet can kill this much excitement with just one line.

Looks like Tera is looking more interesting again.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:11PM (Unverified) said

They mean 20 skill slots between 2 players.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:27PM Mikx said

Uh, thats not even something that Arenanet said, its analysis and explanation from massively.

You have 10 skills that you can use. If there's another player in the area, he has ten skills. You can combine his skills with your skills for new/powerful effects. What it does is encourage cooperation between players.

If there are 10 players in the area, there is a potential for a wide range of effects.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 6:31PM (Unverified) said

I thought that you were going to have one hero/henchman, maybe that's where the other 10 skills come from.

I don't know this definitively, but it seems to me that the second profession is gone... to be replaced by a hero / henchman in your command. Maybe that's how "sidekicks" work in this game. Instead of using a hero, you can team up with your friend instead for massive experience bonuses. That's just my speculation.

From what I've seen of this latest news update, I don't really see anything to complain about. It sounds fun actually.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:27PM (Unverified) said

Even so, they seem to be saying that if you want to get any kind of synenrgy like you have now (take shock axe as a great one) you will need to have two characters working together to do the exact same thing we are already doing in GW 1 with one character, the only difference is they will do it a bit better.We dont need to have all our skills be just as powerful as the rest if you want to run a build that does one or two things great you go 13/14 spread if you want to go with a build that does more things but less great you go with something like 12/11/11

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:40PM Randomessa said

Except that even in GW, you are not doing it all by yourself, because you have H+H along to synergize with you. In GW2 you will also have access to (1) companion player that you can fire wall + arrow, etc. etc. all you like.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:54PM Arkanaloth said

very true Randomessa, it's going to be a whole new world... I hope to love it as much as I love GW1, but I will admit I'm going to miss my DiscordWay team greatly!

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 4:49PM (Unverified) said

I don't think we should try to determine how GW2 mechanics will work by using GW1 mechanics. What I think Anet is trying to do is encourage more synergy between teammate's builds, and require that coordination be important even in start/mid-game play. The power vs utility balance will still be present in individual builds, but it will be determined by weapon choice rather than secondary profession choice; for example, a warrior might choose to dual wield if he wants max deeps, a two-hander if he wants mobility skills, or sword and board if he wants defensive skills.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 5:19PM Valdur said

Once again ArenaNet proves that they can make something different from all the copycats on the market and make it fun and mindblowing at the same time.

I like the fact that they are encouraging players to group and have more power and tactics than going solo all the way but they are not forcing the players to group.