Posted: Apr 28th 2010 12:48PM (Unverified) said

I disagree with your assessment that the SL economy isn't doing well. To me, I don't care about the amount of L$ traded, since that is gamed easily. There are three metrics I care about:
1. L$ sold for US$
2. Land owned.
3. Active residents.

1 and 2 show real money investment in Second Life, and 3 shows real time investment. Both Lindex and land owned numbers are up. The only downside I see is that Linden Lab is selling less L$ on the Lindex, meaning that there is a risk of the L$ value compared to US$ going down. However, as of yet, that hasn't happened.

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 1:18PM rznkain said

Thanks for the break down figured we would see the labs put a spin on things as usual most ppl who create in SL know the economy has overall been in the toilet for months now.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

I'm not enough of an economist to tell who's right about the current state of the SL economy, but I do know that my modest rental business did particularly well, especially in the second half of february and in march.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 5:21AM (Unverified) said

Tateru, any figures--anywhere--on the percentage of land abandoned by residents in a given quarter, or on land prices by mainland/Zindra/islands?

These would be telling figures.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 7:14AM (Unverified) said

No detailed specifics. Tyche Shepherd might have some better data. Average mainland price per square metre (averaged across all mainland parcels set for sale) is less than L$1/sqm (presently L$0.80/sqm) according to the published data from the Lab ( http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/sl-statistical-charts-testing/ )

A median figure would be more useful (an average isn't actually going to give you a good indication of how much you'd expect to pay as a buyer or get as a seller) - but that requires access to raw land sales data, or being able to scrape all that data from the grid - a practice which many have objected to in the past.

Q2 figures are going to be interesting, as many SL metrics started taking a dive on the last day of March.

Posted: Apr 29th 2010 8:32AM (Unverified) said

All I know is that there are definitely more new accounts showing up at events and spending money, and I sold property without losing money on the transaction. I am seeing people spend a LOT of money on shapes and skins and hair (with a lot of action on the new X4 models) and hardly anything on more expensive clothing and houses. Much of the drop in house and furniture sales has to be blamed on the new homesteads for premium accounts - if you want a good look at growth, at least in Premium Accounts, take a look at how many Linden Homes there are now - but I imagine that this will change as new accounts find their way out of the Linden-created ghettoes, much as they did the blighted First Land program.

Posted: Apr 30th 2010 1:03AM (Unverified) said

It was curious that the metrics were released in the same day that the grid experienced a major downtime of almost 12 hours... the longest in a long, long time. One wonders if it was _not_ a coincidence ;)

Posted: May 1st 2010 3:38PM (Unverified) said

The Xstreet merger is skewing comparisons to previous quarters somewhat, from what I can see and from what T said in the discussion comments.

However the reduction in Linden dollar sales from Supply Linden remains mysterious, as Xstreet monies were still around, they were just in different pots, so they shouldn't have had a significant impact.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM