Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:52AM Minofan said

~ Low point: Warhammer launch ~
I was extremely invested in WAR pre-launch, both socially (pretty much my only true only MMO guild expereince) & finanically (limited budget).
I spent ages on forum competitions and the promotional Road To WAR game, eventually - with GOA wranglings - getting my guild into beta a week or so before it finished.
Was very pleased with the beta; the narrow focus of that stage (T4 only) and the "it's only beta" factor (it won't be so empty live etc.) conspired to create a very good impression.
Then it launched...
By the time it was crystal clear that WAR just didn't click for me, I was a key officer and thus compounding my disappointment with unprecedented feelings of obligation - thoroughly misery making right up until I finally walked away.
WAR most definitely changed the way I weigh-up & anticipate MMOs, and pretty much hammered home that I've only ever regretted attempts to be more sociable in them.
Haven't actually purchased an MMO since in fact, now that I think about...

~ High point: my brother joined me in Guild Wars ~
We'd had some shared tastes in the past, but when one of my brother's joined me in Guild Wars and got hooked it definitely constituted our biggest shared interest.
Has kept going pretty much constantly since (daily at the moment!), and fanned out into surprisingly infectious enthusiasm for everything from Babylon 5 and Doctor Who (me>him) to WWE and Liverpool FC (him>me).
Even when I've been living on the otehr side of the world for months at a time, I'd say he's both my brother and my best friend now. ^_^
My other brother I only see at holidays and maybe hear from a couple of times a year...

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:55AM (Unverified) said

Highest point: in wow killing three would-be gankers all by my lonesome (they attacked first!), then camping them to the point where they took rez sickness to get out... all on a night elf warrior.

Lowest point: wow-related divorce. Yeah. It happened.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:27AM (Unverified) said

High Point: Getting onto a Bad Moon sauceror speed run leaderboard in Kingdom of Loathing.

-SirNiko

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:27AM (Unverified) said

High point.
Leading my little guild & taking over a keep in DAoC (before the infamous ToA) and seeing my guild banner hanging from it.
Killing the Olthoi Queen in DAoC and getting the title "queen slayer" (back when AC was one of 3 MMO's on the market and the game was packed)

Low point -
Continuing to purchase a lot of MMO games after 2004 that frankly were nothing but sh*t in a box, hoping that one of them could match DAoC, AC, UO or EQ.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:34AM Wraibot said

Low - That's an easy one, City of Heroes Issue 13 which destroyed PvP forever. Would be playing CoX, but the only reason I played was for the PvP, and now since it's full of diminishing returns, heal decay, and movement suppression.

I guess I could say I'm still in that low, moving to Warhammer Online, wasn't the type of game I was looking for, went through the horrible first 6 months of the game which was super rocky.

Moved to Global Agenda, but got sick of it pretty fast because there was no content (hopefully 1.3 can bring some good stuff so I can go back)

High - Probably back in the glory days of CoX when PvP was plentiful and my Super Group would roll into a PvP zone and would change the tides of any fight we came across. Those were the days... Beatin' down Hamidon every weekend. That and I really miss the awesome PUGs in CoX, of any game I've ever played, CoX definately has the highest quality PUGs for sure!

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:58AM Necromas said

Low point would be buying Age of Conan and losing $75 I will never get back.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:47AM Its Utakata stupid said

High points: Buy'ing WoW and finding out I liked it 5 years ago. Then when I got tired of it a bit, buy'ing CoH and found out how much I liked it as well.

Low Points: I should of never bought and played Champions Online on release day. :(

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 12:06PM (Unverified) said

The Good:
1. Watching my first PvP battle take place in Asherons Call inside the portal cave area. It's been to long I can't remember what is was called. Lol I do remember I had to be buffed prior to jumping off the cliff to get to the portals. God help me what was that area called? Any original AC fans recall?

2. Shadowbane. In my opinion the best classes based on pvp. Games these days took many ideas from Ubisofts MMO and still didn't do it has good. Loved that game!!!

The Worst:

1. Buying almost every single US Retail Sold MMO to date expecting something similar to how I felt when I first discovered Asherons Call. Still waiting.... Maybe FF14.

2. Wow am I surprised no one has mentioned the pure agony and torture of FF11 grind. I never made it past 20 and I bought that stupid game 3 times because I lost the play online ID that was a set up random numbers. F that gamr. I was a total jackass for attempting to get into it as many times as I did.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 12:13PM (Unverified) said

FFXI was greatest MMO i played and i try almost all to up2 date lol

FFXI was all about beening social and group exping.. not like wow solo questing etc etc

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 12:41PM breezer said

My low would be when I was horribly addicted to ffxi. My college schedule was light (post grad), so miraculously that didn't suffer too badly.
My life in general was sleeping maybe 15 hours or less per week. Barely eating, maybe an energy bar from the deli where I bought cigs if I remembered. It was definitely the state of mind those koreans who died playing lineage were in, complete unhealthy obsession.

High point was prob years later playing vanguard, for a few months I was one of the top 3 shaman in the whole game. I loved my shaman for a while, but the insanely cut throat (intensely mean-spirited :(...) hardcore endgame got to me after a short while.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 12:11PM (Unverified) said

my highest point was in FFXI and it was buying an Astral signa off a JP SMN for 24million gil.. which was crazy amount of gil at the time.. ( i had farmd nonestop for like 6months... ) i was first NA SMN who truely owned that staff on my server (kujata) lol , most endgame linkshell who get the drop.. ladel it as linkshell owned item since it has the lowest drop rate in the game

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 1:22PM VioletArrows said

Hmm... Couple of high points, lots of low points. XP

Highs:
-Exploring Ragnarok Online by myself for the first time and loving the (then) beautiful environments and music. First MMO and has fond memories for me
-Getting congratulated by my WoW guild for my first real accomplishments (leveling my first two 80s at the same time, reading every book in the game, and saving the Netherwing dragonflight)

Lows:
-Becoming addicted to WoW, not that it was hard, since there's nothing else to do in this hole of a town...
-Right now. Ever since I quit WoW, I haven't found anything else to play. DDO's alright, but un/fortunately, I can only stand it for an hour or two per *week*. Champions wore thin after a month. Ragnarok is now only nostalgia fuel, and I haven't found a single F2P that isn't a crappy grindfest or not at all subtly unplayable without the cash shop.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 2:49PM Narof said

High Point - Probably the first time i played a MMO, Asherons Call. The first time some said hello I knew that this type of game would change my life. AC is still my fav.

Low Point - STO Lifetime. I really cant see me getting my money's out of this.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 4:04PM (Unverified) said

High point- LOTRO during Shadows of angmar. The PvE and PvP was just a blast. Sure every class had some skills/traits/stat that were OP but that was part of what made things fun, and for a casual MMO like LOTRO it worked.

Low point- LOTRO post SoA. Turbine decided the way to keep and attract new players was to nerf everything into the ground, make every inch of the open world soloable, redesign PvP which is a total failure, add a LI system that is only legendary in grind, and gate instances behind radiance.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 5:12PM wjowski said

Low Point: Playing Everquest

High Point: Playing anything but Everquest.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 5:20PM (Unverified) said

My highs were finally getting jedi in SWG as it took me almost a year to do it playing very casually. I also had many, many, many wonderful moments in DAoC back in the day.

My low would have to be getting jedi in SWG only to have the NGE, without any notice from SOE, hit before I could manage to get it leveled up. I still to this day hate those Sony bastards.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:45PM Ageek said

Those are both of mine as well.

So happy about my force sensitive slot unlock.

So, so sad about NGE.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 5:24PM (Unverified) said

I can't decide on my high point. I have had tremendous fun with EVE, but pre-NGE holds a lot of good memories too. With EVE I think it was when I first moved to Providence and started getting into PVP. With SWG I had much fun with my Rifleman/BH toon.

My low point was definitely NGE. I still hold a grudge and won't play certain games due to that catastrophe.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 6:01PM (Unverified) said

High point: Playing Dark Ages back when Nexon ran it. Being part of a game where RP came naturally. Back in the day when players felt obligated to contribute to immersion or suffer some relevant form of ostracism.

Low point: Discovering that role play was no longer part of the MMO norm and that a majority of my conversations with players would strip me of my immersion. Subsequently, the sense of being ostracized because I feel that players should be a part of the world rather than a weird, alien visitor that consistently disrupts the feel of a world with their flavorless babble.

I'm part of a dying breed, sadly. I hate searching for guilds that have to RP in a box instead of being part of a huge community that provides dialogue and depth that no script can achieve otherwise.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 9:31AM thesage42 said

We've plowed through the gauntlet yet again for another attempt at Heigan (lvl 60). We already got a lucky first kill but we're having real trouble repeating it. We're pushing out great dps but when the first dance-phase comes we lose half the raid right away. Since we've already taken a big chunk of his health we decide to keep going, doing the gauntlet again would be a lot of time wasted. But people keep dying one by one, every dance phase takes more casualties, others are dying in the grub corridor. His health is going down slower and slower but it's actually getting pretty low. In the end there's just 3 of us left from the 40-man raid, the gnome warrior tanking the boss like a champ, my rogue stabbing at him furiously, and a holy paladin desperately trying to keep us all alive and disease-free.

The boss' health is down to single digit percent but it's a completely untenable situation. Amused guildies are chatting and joking around on vent while the three of us are desperately focusing on our impossible mission. As the boss hits 1% the oom paladin falls and with no healing our time to live is very limited. The tank uses every cooldown perfectly to stay alive as long as possible but eventually he has nothing left. The tank dies and I pop Evasion instantly and drink a nature protection potion to absorb the disease damage for a little while. As the boss is attacking me I can't backstab anymore so my dps goes down to a trickle. I'm slowly walking backwards to avoid the splashes from the floor while I'm dodging every attack and doing pathetic SS damage with my daggers. At this point vent is filled with laughing and cheering. We all know it's not gonna work, I have only seconds left to live, but I can't give up when the boss is at 1%.

I'm looking at the evasion timer ticking down, I'm looking at my health being slowly depleted by the disease. My bloodstream seems to be pumping pure adrenaline at this point and it's like time is slowing down. At the very last moment I throw a 3 cp eviscerate, it doesn't crit, it's only 400 damage and change, but it's enough. The boss keels over and a couple seconds later I die from the disease. The cacophony on vent and the chat spam is like we just got a server-first KT kill. A moment of perfect, unmitigated, unimaginable Glory.