Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:12AM (Unverified) said

I'm guessing this is more of a publicity stunt to get more subscribers or attention to their game. If you want to remove people who model edit your game for pvp exploiting, or simply are botting, then it would be fairly stupid to give them a 'heads up'. That is like robbing a bank, and a cop stopping you to say put it back so I don't have to arrest you.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:29AM Birk said

Nah, I agree with the warning. True, unsavoury cheaters ruin a lot of games, and players are driven away in droves if they find out that there are many exploiters.

But at the same time, the warning will deter these cheaters, who will hopefully continue playing the game without cheating.

Sounds to me like Mortal Online cant really afford to be losing players at this stage in the game.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 12:33PM Daverator said

I think the warnings make sense, I am sure plenty of people have gotten warnings for speeding and think warnings are the bee's knees.

A few points:
1. An MMO requires a much larger investment in an account by the player than say a RTS or FPS, so banning a player makes them much more consequence.
2. Clearly defining things as against the rule before wiping out people is always a good policy.
3. The company doesn't want to actually have to wipe out players because it reduces the number of paying customers, and reduces the number of people to interact with the other players.
4. la la la la la la

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:55AM (Unverified) said

given the fact that Darkfall died (imo) because they could not control exploits and hacks, it makes perfect sense for MO to be extra-proactive about this.

I wish them luck, if they can really keep MO cheat-free then it has a chance at really becoming the next UO.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 1:28PM FTPgodmode said

isnt the game still in beta?? wouldnt it be smart to keep people cheating so they can catch and fix the bugs?? correct me if im wrong please

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 1:11PM (Unverified) said

I could understand some type of copyright for an engine that produces the virtual world, but their patent is stating things that every single online game has. That patent should not exist.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 2:36PM Ripper McGee said

Starvault has been flayed on the mmorpg.com boards due to their previous "72-hour suspension" stance for hacking. I'm glad they're taking a harder line, as well they should.

~Ripper

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 4:02PM Distaste said

This is a joke right? I mean if much bigger companies couldn't stop or catch all the hackers what chance does Star Vault have? Given the state of that game I think the hackers are probably much better coders and won't have an issue figuring out ways to bypass, trick, or disable the monitoring.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 5:12PM Lateris said

In that screen shot for that city can you walk around anywhere that you see?

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 7:51PM (Unverified) said

That city isn't in game yet..

Or well, it is in, but it's not "open" for visitors yet.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 3:58PM (Unverified) said

WAIT! wasnt this exactly what happened with Darkfall while MO was in development? wasnt there a mass amount of players that expressed that concern about Darkfall both on the Darkfall forums and the MO forums while MO was still in developement? Did Star Vault not think it might happen to them as well before going live? WTF?

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014