Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:21AM Wisdomandlore said

I like DDO, but Turbine's marketing has always left something to be desired. Half the video was people spinning! At least, they're on TV finally.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:36AM Lateris said

Since Time Warner owns a chunk of CBS which owns a chunk of G4 tv I wonder if we will see commercials on G4 Tv? Syfy is owned by NBC. I do remember when SOE was running commercials for SWG that subs went up a bit, So it does help.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:38AM (Unverified) said

Time Warner and CBS do not own G4 - Comcast does under the E! umbrella.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:46AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Sounds like someone is spending cash shop generated funds in the wrong way. Mmos and the bloggosphere market themselves, why not spend that money on game development instead of tv ad space. which the mmo market leaves on in the background while they play pc games?

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:52AM Snichy said

Advertising for new players = new players
New players = more income
more income = more content
more content = happy players
happy players = more income
more income = advertising for more players

Ad infinitum...!

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 12:55PM Renko said

Have to disagree, MMOs and the bloggosphere market themselves only to other MMO players, to entice new players to the genre TV advertising is the only way to go.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 11:55AM Tanek said

I hope the ad campaign works for them, but the music in this one does not exactly match the feel of the game for me.

I might have done a less frantic commercial showing scenes of combat, puzzles, and traps with a DungeonMaster-type voiceover. But that's just because of my playstyle, not necessarily what marketing would spend their 30 seconds on. :)

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 12:05PM Valentina said

• 1 heart
Advertise LOTRO, instead.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 1:36PM aurickle said

The commercial in general is good, but that music is beyond annoying. To say nothing of the fact that it doesn't match the theme of the game at all.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 1:59PM Nandini said

The only spoken words in this ad are "Rated 'T' for Teen." at the very end.

Are they purposely trying to downplay the fact that this is Dungeons & Dragons Online? Maybe they think the name will turn off potential new players and that the corny music and spinning avatars will help them reach a different segment of the market.

I've seen poor-quality fan videos that give a better feeling for the game, and a more compelling reason to try it out. I wish Turbine the best of luck, but I don't get the feeling that this ad will attract the types of new players who will convert to paying customers.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 4:14PM Pojoh said

Dang, wish they had Mr. T doing the ad!! ;)

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 5:16PM (Unverified) said

The music gave me flashbacks to Command & Conquer Red Alert circa 1996.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 12:09AM (Unverified) said

Thats not it's first TV ad. DDO had a TV ad in the season finale of Battlestar Galactica right after it came out.

The Stream Team: Firefall's farewell