Posted: Apr 27th 2010 6:40PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
lol why have levels at all... Its exactly how I am writing up my new MMO.
If you cant fill up content to make leveling fun.. then why bother trying..

I tell you developers are getting stupider by the day.. Noone in this industry really knows how to make a game anymore... The whole industry is based on plagarism, stealing another game and tweaking it to their story..,.

And funny thing is.. no one is even copying the best system ever.. Asherons Call leveling system..

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 7:52PM Birk said

I think its pretty easy to level your sights at the developers, and call them stupid. But you dont seem to understand that games require time, money, and profit. The bigger the game, the larger the profit needed, the more bloodthirsty the investors are that fund it, and the more pressure on the developers to make something that works.

Im not saying that there isnt room for innovation, but when a big-budget title is being put through the mill it has to have a feasible business plan. Lets face it - the majority of investors are not interested in an indy-style game that is going to have a core playerbase of 2000 people.

Again, Im a firm believer in the fact that the industry needs to move forward. But its not a process that can happen over night. And just because you have all these fabulous ideas for the best and greatest MMO, does not mean that it would translate well onto paper. Developing game mechanics becomes a lot more difficult when you realize the limitations imposed by not only your hardware, but the hardware of your customer base. Longevity is also a factor; replay value has to be there to keep you paying your subscription.

So while I encourage you to follow your dreams of writing up your MMO and having it published, I caution you to avoid demeaning all of the developers that currently have their necks in a noose to provide a meaningful experience for their players, as well as an attractive bottom line for their investors.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 6:18PM Dread said

• 1 heart
I thought the whole idea of leveling was to learn to play your character properly before end game. So give it a few months and you'll have a bunch of nubs who can't play their toons.....but scream they are awesome cause they have 4 or 5 level 80 toons....

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 6:55PM (Unverified) said

Do you not understand how long 200 days is? Because that's how long it would take to get from 30 to 80 using only offline leveling. Get a grip.

Funny, I don't see anyone complaining about EvE, where EVERYTHING can be trained offline and you don't need to login except to start a new skill. Then again, EvE has 4x or more the population of AoC. Hey, maybe THAT's why Funcom decided it might be a good idea.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 7:20PM Its Utakata stupid said

Don't attempt to reason, fresnoboone. Let them believe Funcom is actually handing out to their alts "go to 80 for free" cards for only grinding 1 hr on their mains.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 8:46PM (Unverified) said

The first 30 levels teach you to play your character. In most MMOs, the first 10 levels are really all you need to learn the basics. After that it's optional fetch quests that, at best, get you familiar with the layout of a zone and nothing else.

I'd love to see an MMO that turns each level into a "Test" to prove you've learned the new mechanic. If you pick it up easily and can pass the test on the first try, you get to gain a level and move on. Player level progression and knowledge progression would actually be tied together.

-SirNiko

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 5:06AM silvertemplar said

The irony is, look at WoW and show me how many people actually know how to play their classes when they hit lvl 80. Chances are pretty much no-one knows until they enter a 5-man heroic or a 10/25 man raid for the first time. Guess when that happens? Max level only. That's when tanks and healers realise what they're suppose to be doing -for the first time-. So i don't see why this latest EVE-like system in AoC is going to make players any worse off.

At the very least it will give people something to do at end-game : Learning your class. What's the point if you know your class inside out and are geared to the max when you hit max level...what then?

On a side note, it actually implies you will have LESS gear and LESS resources if you level this way. Online playing also means you get gear, you get gold....

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 8:01PM Deadalon said

• 1 heart
Games are to be played !!

Im in no way against offline progression systems (like we see in Eve for example). But I am against any offline progression system that gives direct levels to characters. Thats just ... wrong...

Next they will be adding items as well ? Then you dont have to play at all !!! Just pay em !

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 8:01PM wjowski said

Sounds like something that might be a good idea to put in once X account has so many max-level characters.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 8:07PM (Unverified) said

its really not that big of a deal....200 days for a lv 80 after you have already put 30 levels in it

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 9:48PM Daelen said

I think its the free level thats bugging people. Shouldn't though given nearly every other MMO has rested xp of some sort so in those ones you have 2x xp all day as a casual player. This is 1 level/4 days. Given in other MMOs a level even casually is a one night ordeal... this is actually less advantage but you can apply it to any toon so its balanced.

What is nice, is that you can play your main and still advance your alt.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:11PM cray said

I think the whole leveling mechanic in MMOs is a flawed system. There shouldn't be any leveling at all.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 9:33AM Cendres said

This is true, down with leveling!

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 10:34PM deluxe2000 said

Dark Age of Camelot has been doing this for awhile. Its actually very helpful since most people have a main or 2 at max level and just work on alts.nBut you have to have played the toon that gets the level sometime within the 5 days it takes to be granted a free level. I imagine there will be some sort of caveat like this for AoC.

Of course DAOC max level is 50, not 80.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 12:40AM (Unverified) said

Ughm i've developed many games, and sorry I applaud your assumptions, but sounds like you are all assumptions and no experience.

Also your a bit way off on your Indie train of thought.. That's what defines Indie.. not using publishers... Indie = Independent.... Although, since publishers are abusing the "indie" hype now, I can see how you are misled.
For example publishers are now picking up indie titles and still calling them indie games. However, Once they use a publisher how can it be so?

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 1:20AM Orvidos said

You're welcome. :P

So, I used my 4 levels on the character I've made upon returning to Hyboria. Now mind you, I don't intend to slap every level I get onto the character I'm currently leveling (really the only one I have interest in) Instead, I'll likely save them for a quick bump on an alt, or if I run into one of the famous 'dead zones' (Level ranges in which you've already done the quests and have to grind.) I suspect they've fixed those, but we'll see.

I like the system, and waking up to 4 free levels was great, because I gave me my mount (was at 36) and access to a wealth of new items and such, and meant I could do the dungeon I've seen people in LFG crowing about since I came back.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 4:53AM silvertemplar said

Well this is clearly something they gotten from EVE and the whole offline skill raising. People would have multiple accounts just for this purpose, increasing the skills even though they never actually -play- the character. Eventually they would then put the character to use once it's actually attained whatever skill-set is required.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 5:10AM spamero said

• 1 heart
fail game is fail.. this won't help a thing

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 9:03AM (Unverified) said

Exquisite idea.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 11:19AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Sounds like the devs have finally realised the game is a steaming pile and so have come up with a way for players not to have to play it.

Of course, the smart ones among us figured this out ages ago - just cancel your account. It'll save you money and you can then dedicate your time to playing something good instead.