Posted: Apr 26th 2010 12:04PM (Unverified) said

What do you mean it doesn't look like a real expansion? It may good if you actually at least give it a quick read on what it will be bringing to the table.

There will be:
-New Raid encounters
-New zones from level 20 all the way to 80
-New Alternate Leveling System (this is awesome btw, loved it in EQ2)
-New Faction System
-New pet system (mount or attack pet)

I don't know about you, but this expansion seems to add a whole bunch of content and new systems. It seems totally worth the price of admission.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 2:40PM ZachDude said

I agree with Bluefunk, it is definitely a full fledged expansion. And they aren't charging as much as other companies might. $25 is all you really have to pay, retail you get the best deal, $30 for the xpack + the tortage starter kit, which if your buying digitally is another $25, with it you get Exp potions, 30 days free gametime, a mount, and some other things. They are also packaging it with the most rescent and updated version of AoC to ensure that you don't have to wait so long for patches.

The game is great, people need to quit hating.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:03AM Verus said

• Half a heart
I would rather stick a fork in my eye than ever play another Funcom game ;)

Last straw was when they offered me some free time to come back and play the game. Played for 1-2 hours and was bored and left game again. Then as the free time ran out they turned on the paying subscription again without informing me at all..

Add that to all the shit they promised at launch.. Many that are still not in the game 1-2 years later. Hell full dx10 was promised by devs just week before launch and still 18 months after launch when I tried the game it was still in some crap beta stage.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:21AM jpo said

Yup. Already pre-ordered. I just wish Funcom would release what classes are going to be used.

Come on already!

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:36AM (Unverified) said

I will give it a try. AoC had its faults but it was still a pretty fun game by comparison to many other offerings out there. The first area was very well done. Up until around 50-60 was where the game REALLY fell off and became a grind for me having to constantly run villas to level. I am guessing they have improved that part a bit since I left and I am sure the expansion will probably fill in the gaps. Nice to see they survived this long and hopefully have stabilized the game. Not many adult driven titles out there.

I wish they had gone a different route with their attack system though. I like the arrow key deal but would have preferred they commit to it fully rather than forcing the user to state the attack then hit the combo. Better to just start hitting the combo and on a successful completion of it launch the special attack or build up as more of the combo is hit. The combo system can eliminate a lot of key mapping.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 11:42AM aurickle said

What you described is how the Warden class plays in LotRO. By the time you reach max level you've got literally dozens of gambits that you can use -- all activated by different combinations of the same three attacks.

While the system is incredibly fun, it's also intensely frustrating if you leave the game for a while or play a different class and then come back to the Warden. Because the abilities reside completely in your memory, it's a very steep learning curve to get back in the groove.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 11:49AM (Unverified) said

Easily over come by the UI itself. As you press keys it should show the available combos next. So if you press up lets say, it would show you N number of combos if you press up again, N combos if you press right, etc. As you press each key it would narrow down the total number of combos available for the character. If you press a key that is not in a chain, the combo would end with whatever bonuses gained to that point. Just a simple filtering system. Easy to lean as it would guide you and soon you would be hitting the combos without any UI guidance.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:41AM (Unverified) said

I plan on giving AoC another try (after almost 2 years) for the expansion, but I'd like to see Funcom get their preorder issues straightened out. The whole process, with how many alternative options and packs are available, is very convoluted. It gets even worse if you want to preorder a retail version, in which store choices are limited and there's no guarantee to pick up the optional upgrades after the fact.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:44AM (Unverified) said

I'm still up in the air. I'm short on cash right now, so I'm debating between this and monster hunter tri. I really want to give this another run with RotGs, since I liked AoC ok, but AoC just felt like it was missing something after the early levels (I loved Stygia, but the zones after that started to all seem too familiar). So far I can't find a single comment saying that RotGs is good or bad. Since we're only about 3 weeks from release, it kinda makes me worried that the comments are being suppressed for a reason.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:48AM (Unverified) said

Just found the AoC original for £1.95 with free p&p. That's less than a 10 pack of Lamberts. Hope I enjoy it enough to sub :)

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 11:04AM Heraclea said

I recently re-subscribed to this and am enjoying it so far. I'm going to want details on what the several perks are --- have not seen what the puma pet does, but if it's a mount that's what I want.

I played this for several months after its release but got bored before hitting max level. Since resubscribing I got my original main to 80, used the boost to get another to 50, and started a new one.

Atmosphere is key to this game; and frankly, I'm not sure how well they can do making content like raids Conan-esque. Conan did not need a tank or a healer to do his thing. But there's a lot more content in the game now, and I needed a break from my other main game as well.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 11:05AM Boojum said

Third time's the charm, I was there pre-launch - much negativity and WotLK came along to take me away.

I took another month last year to check out 1.5 and the new stat changes - much negativity again from all and sundry, it didn't catch me then either.

But I decided to check it out again after hearing all the good things lately and yes because an ex-pack is about to launch.

Not only that but also because I'm sick to death of bashing my head against the geargrind tree in WoW and in my quarterly burnout slump.

Anyhoo...I must say they've managed to pull a miracle out of their collective Funcom backsides and get the game in the state it should have been from launch, having an absolute blast bombing around on my human flamethrower (

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 11:35AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Nope. Won't buy it.

Tried AoC at launch got 2 Characters to max lvl. A week after that we had cleared all the playable raids at the time which were a joke. One big ass brown room with a couple of trashmobs an 2 bossmobs (more or less). Come on... That dragon ( whatever its name was) I actually liked.

PvP was nothing more than noskill wannabe gankers and some sort of battleground that wasn't much fun. I love PvP. I despise gankers tho... So maybe just not my game.

I think AoC was actually the first MMORPG I played where you could claim to have beatn the game -.-

After everybody was saying how AoC had gotten that much better I resubbed about half a year ago. Got bored within a day canceled the sub a day after that. Won't make the mistake again.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 12:08PM (Unverified) said

AoC is back with a vengeance...I just recently subbed and am having a LOT of fun with it now, plus, the expansion release will include the whole game so people can jump into it now all-in. It's a great time to try it out again, the expansion will bring some more player population, and the game has been tweaked substantially over time. This is currently my main and only MMO due to the ridiculous amount of fun I've been having, with Fallen Earth a close second.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 12:17PM Aetrix said

In a word, No.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 12:34PM (Unverified) said

Most definitely! Conan has finally come into it's own!

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 1:11PM XOR said

No, not going to buy the expansion.

i've re-subscribed about 5x over last 2yrs, and even recently for 2months, but I get bored within a week everytime. bummer because I really want to like it.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 1:00PM Justpotatoes said

I'm thinking about giving AoC another shot, because I thought it was a great game and I love the IP, but I'm really, really loving EQ2 right now. There just isn't enough time in the day to play all the games I want to play!!

But I've been running with the AoC soundtrack on my mp3 player lately, so I think I might have to try it again when the new xpac comes out. Everytime I listen to that soundtrack, I want to try it again. Decisions, decisions...

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 1:47PM Valdur said

I left AoC six months ago and yes I will resub for ROTGS but I'll wait one month before doing so.

This is one of the best expansion I have seen this last 5 years.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 2:04PM happyfish said

Wow the attitudes towards this game look like a complete 180 from a year ago, maybe it'll be worth checking out again.

Global Chat: Gamers Secret Santa