Posted: Apr 26th 2010 8:13AM Birk said

Yes, absolutely. I tried AoC out about a year ago, didnt really jive with me. But Ive jumped back on the horse and am having a great time. This seems to be the case with most people that are coming back to see the game is not only playable, but also awesomely engaging.

I suggest any of you that are skeptical of AoC at this point, jump on the unlimited free trial and have a go at it. It might be exactly what youre looking for - I know it was a welcome distraction for me. I initially fired it up while waiting for FFXIV, but if the immersion Im feeling now continues on for the next few months I think I will have a hard time ripping myself away.

My advice? Dont listen to the haters that are still jaded from launch. Go read the open-source editions of the Conan books:

Pick up some of the dark horse comics if youre so inclined. Get immersed in the Conan lore and kill yourself some filthy Stygians.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 1:28PM (Unverified) said

First of all, Yes, by Set, I will be playing Rise of the Godslayer

Secondly, let it be known that the mighty Stygian Empire will storm northward and roll the false gods of the Barbarian heathens.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 8:39AM (Unverified) said

Yes, I will. Best game I've played in a long time, and rotgs looks very promising.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 8:52AM Wisdomandlore said

I tried it again back in the fall. Tortage was still fun, but after that the game just isn't as interesting, and most of the zones were a ghost town.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 8:55AM (Unverified) said

Since fall, there were server merges to merge low pop servers into the higher pop ones.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:02AM Thac0 said

If the money is in the bank I'll be picking this up on may 11th, I'll buy the box so i can get the Puma pet. AoC was good at launch and its better now. I;ve found some people to play with and that makes the game. AoC is way more fun with friends even though its quite soloable.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:51AM (Unverified) said

Ive pre-ordered - and i purchased the might pack that will give me an xp giving helm and war rhino and stuff. Ive not got a character to 80 yet. To be honest, ive been having a hard time with it around the mid-late 40's. My Guardian seems to take a long time to kill stuff, and cant handle more than 2 mobs at a time easily. I got 50 last night, and the game rewards you with a free level 50 alt. Because i enjoy the look of plate, 2 hander weapons and paladin/captain classes in other games i made a level 50 conqueror.

It's nice what AOC does here, it gives you a level 50, fills your bag with green armour, a 16 slot bag and 1.5gold - enough to buy your mount. I had 68 vet tokens, as i joined the game at launch. Not sure how ive ended up with 68, because ive hardly been subbed, but with 68 vet tokens you can go and easily buy a mount (3 tokens) and basic riding skill (4 tokens). I then purchased a 32 slot bag, teleports to all the major cities and some stacks of XP potions (giving +25% XP for 2h).

Then with the Conqueror, i started doing quests back in the field of dead and egyptian mountains. It's brilliant really because all 3 zones i struggled with content wise are now refreshed and available to do again with this level 50. There's no doubt that if i did all that content again as 50, id easily be 60+ by the time im finished, and i have the 55+ zone added after launch to do as well.

Not to mention the conqueror seems very cool, hard hitting with self heals and a bubble.. i was easily taking down 4-5 same level mobs after i spent the 1.5g they gave me on blues from the trader!. Roll on god slayer!.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 2:32PM ZachDude said

@Fenlock

My guardian seems to take a while to level also, and seems to not be able to handle much of anything, and I have the best gear on that I've seen thus far, I have my buff on, stay in Defensive stance and everything. IDK what I'm doing wrong, or if this is just the class. Either way I'm going to start playing an alt for a while before I return to it. It is curious though, that I rarely EVER see any guardians online in my guild, or out and about while exploring.

But back on topic, I never played the game at launch. I just started playing a little before december in 2009. I have been enjoying my time greatly and just threw a rediculous amount of money to funcom for their RotGS Digital CE plus the 60 bucks for the Might of Crom add-on pack. I have been playing with the pets (Ravager of Jhil, and Loyal Kappa) and they are great. Also thinking of buying the retail copy just so I have the discs, and give the friend the account so hopefully he'll start playing.

I love this game, the new systems for the xpack look intriguing and I don't see myself quitting this game anytime soon.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:10AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:13AM Itanius said

Depends on if the expansion offers anything for low-level characters or not.

(No, I haven't looked into it... yet.)

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:49AM Birk said

The expansion is slated to add an entirely new slew of zones, some of which is starter content for the new race (The Khitan).

Most of the content, I would imagine, is located at endgame. However, they are NOT upping the level cap, and as such it will be a lateral advancement scheme. So you dont have to worry about another 10 levels being added onto the pile. Simply look forward to the slew of new content you will have at endgame.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 11:02AM jpkustra said

The expansion is for characters from lvl 20 on up so it covers everyone. The only thing the expansion does not do is raise the level cap beyond the existing 80

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:31AM Dumac said

Probably. It seems like the perfect time to try the game out.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:38AM (Unverified) said

Dam right. Bought it and ready to play once released!!!!! Can't wait.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:45AM Valentina said

YES!!!!!!!!! It is amazing.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:50AM yeppers said

I picked up AoC for $6 USD off Amazon and have been having fun. I'm a little miffed they're charging for the expansion -- or at least not offering some deal to get the expansion if you subscribe multi-month (Turbine) or something like that. I'll probably wait until the price drops on it by quite a lot ... if I'm still playing it at that time.

Yeah I'm cheap; but I'm still having fun playing other games I'm paying monthlies on.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:31AM (Unverified) said

They offered the expansion for free if you subscribed for a year some time ago. I missed it too sadly :(

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:57AM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
Its not much of a true expansion compared to what most other MMOs are offering atm. Funcom is right now trying everything to get ppl to pre-order before ppl actually realise it.

And no - Im not paying for this expansion. I was one of many that payed for the orginal game and had alot of issues - including some huge memory leaks.

I rather go play the new Runes of Magic free expansion and see what it has to offer. Thats at least an actually a true expansion package. And its free !

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 10:08AM (Unverified) said

Not much of a true expansion. What bridge do you live under?

5 huge playfields
Alternative Advancment System
12 factions
2 new mounts, which you can train
extra creatures that can fight beside you
over 40 new sets of armour
600+ new quests
Tier 4 Raids
New Instances

IT'S A HUGE EXPANSION PACK!!!!! :)

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 11:34AM Renko said

• Half a heart
That's an impressive list, it almost sounds like AoC is ready for launch!

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014