Posted: Apr 26th 2010 5:19PM (Unverified) said

I hope this will indeed be temporary and that they can get the problem under control. I know there have been warnings about not buying runes from spammers, so I assume they hacked the system somehow to create runes? Not sure how banning players that buy items (runes in that case) is fair, but then I only buy items on the auction house, so hopefully won't get banned if I buy something from the wrong person.

For now, I'm not playing RoM much until they turn diamond buying with gold back on. Too busy playing GW and Aion right now anyway. It did kind of seem the numbers of gold sellers (always a problem in Runes since beta) drastically went up right about the time Aion got rid of most of them. I wish there was some way to solve this problem, but have no idea how it could be done short of employing lots of people to monitor each server 24/7.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 5:27PM Seffrid said

I've always believed the only way of dealing with gold sellers etc is by perma-banning the buyers. I wish more games did it, and I hope that the bans in RoM are indeed permanent as too often the word "ban" is wrongly used when accounts have merely been suspended.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:31PM (Unverified) said

EVE Online simply deducts the value of currency directly from your wallet if they discover that you've engaged in RMT. If you already spent the money, you go into the negatives.

Maybe we need to make a game where you can't get money from monsters. Instead, make a finite amount of money in the system and the only way to get more is to trade with PCs, just like in the real economy. It'd make it a lot harder for RMT to operate, since they couldn't automate the process of getting more.

-SirNiko

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 4:30AM GaaaaaH said

I know that a negative wallet severely hinders cheating players, but for some reason I feel more comfortable if the term 'ban' or 'suspended' is used because of the link to actual punishment.

Just a mental thing i guess

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 6:54PM Scuffles said

What it boils down to is that the publisher doesn't want to have to sit down take the time to review how their in game economy is going and when their game reaches a point where inflation has made gold all but worthless and you need hundreds of thousands of gold to buy in game toilet paper .........

Lets face facts the game didn't get to this point overnight, it took months and months of them being diligently inattentive.

An MMO isn't something you can set and forget its more like a souffle it takes a lot of attention and even then one wrong move and it goes all pear-shaped.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 8:11PM Dogorox said

This is the big difference between F2P and subscription games. If this was a sub game all you'd likely get was lip service while they half-heartedly made lame attempts to curb the exploiters (and probably never completely do).

But when the exploiter is actually costing them money in a direct way (by fabricating and selling the pay-shop items) then BAM! "Shut that shit down NOW!!"

It's amazing how fast devs can act when properly motivated.