Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 1:47PM DevilSei said

Some people may not agree with me, but I'd say Acclaim was part of the issue. When I heard of the game and saw who was going to handle it, I instantly thought F2P. Acclaim handles several F2P games (rather generic ones though if I remember), and the way they tried to handle the P2P was proof enough they weren't exactly capable of running the game.

And oh yeah, that starting area sucked, bloated is putting it nicely, since redundant fits it rather well too.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 1:58PM VampireCactus said

For me, The Chronicles of Spellborn was "the one that got away."

I loved it and I miss it so much. I just wish I could fast-forward my way through school so I could find some way to actually contribute to its development.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 2:12PM HalfGamer said

I really hope CoS survives. I've played the current free-to-play game and it's a lot of fun. The combat system is unique and the art design is gorgeous (I love the stone skybox with light shining through!). The game is a ghost town, though. In fact, I responded to another player's question in general chat one time and he was shocked that anyone else was on. Apparently he had been saying stuff in game for a few days and had gotten nothing back. I do think that this would be an awesome game for Massively to organize a community group for, like you're doing with DDO. It's truly 100% free to play and getting new players into the game would be great. Although, that vague response to the question of player-wipe is a little concerning....

Posted: Apr 24th 2010 10:06AM Justpotatoes said

I think a Massively community CoS group is a great idea. Having other people to talk to in game would inspire me to give it another shot.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 2:23PM whateveryousay said

I totally agree with devilsei, Acclaim dropped the ball on this one and the game was the one to suffer for it.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 3:20PM (Unverified) said

I tried to play this game with high hopes for a good experience. I installed it and noticed my Peerblock was not letting me log. I read up on the site being blocked, that spellborn uses to log in, finding that the company spellborn uses also owns Mediadefender. I unblocked it only to find a copy of a program called TorrentDNA had been implanted on my system. TorrentDNA is a program that tracks users downloading habits and reports them to various outlets such as Mediadefender.
I'm glad this game is failing. All this from just trying to play an MMO, no thanks and be warned.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 4:24PM (Unverified) said

I played the game for a few months, got a toon up to around level 30 only to discover what the author of the article found, nothing. Tons of content there in the harder areas, but without a group, it becomes really hard to even attempt. The sheer lack of players at this point has prevented me from re-installing.

The game also had its fair share of bugs. It has quest, class, skill, and tons of unfinished land bugs. Places to get stuck, get lost, get killed and find your self rezzing in an even worse place. A lot of things that as the game went into limbo were well known to the devs and they were going to fix them, when the plug was pulled.

Shame, interesting game system, but time and again you hear the same complaints, mages dont wear armor, pvp non-existant and the game is just empty.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 8:29PM whateveryousay said

"Like Huxley, and a few others. Please don't leave the gaming community with no news or anything going on while the game is in redevelopment or is cancelled. Its not too hard to go on the forums and type of few things out to let people know what is going on."

Totally agree with this. In cases like this it really feels like the publishers just decide that, since they aren't going to make any money from us anytime soon because of delays or drops, they don't need to tell anything about the current situation. Just another reason many people believe that we look like nothing but dollar signs to them.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 4:49PM ploki said

Spellborn died before release. Three diferent distributors across the world, diferent dates, diferent servers. People across europe not being able to play together.

Spellborn NV was unable to get a real distributor. game got splited between frogster, aclaim and... and i dont remember name of the Norway compant.

That killed a great game before starting. Game was, is, incredible. But no one never knew it. And died without the needed cash to clean and update it.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 6:12PM Cendres said

I'll even go further and say the game was in bad shape a year before release. I got the feeling their money dwindled to nothing and they were unable to find publishers in a timely fashion. The beta was... An interesting experience, criticisms were often met with stubborn denial and excuses from the developpers and bugs were reported over and over with not many fixes. Testers came and left in droves, recruiting from MMORPG.com for closed beta probably didn't help their situation as that community is extremely vocal and unforgiving...

Good game but badly managed.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 6:10PM Graill440 said

The starting areas, definately a bad choice there i agree but they modified it..........for the worse. The major contributors to its death? Hundreds of broken quests, including "raids". Crafting where the items needed to make things werent even in the game, from low level to high level, and drop rates on some of the most basic things were insanely low.

Select friendly fire, not all things caused it, but many did, as an example one type of aoe fire would not kill you but another would, things like that. Combat skills, many, many were broken or simply not working at all. Class balance was a huge issue, magic users were gods hands down so pvp was a futile attempt for most. The biggest slap in the face to melee folks was the nerf..adjustment of healing skills, many were reduced to incude damage output, not sure what they were thinking as the last folks on the server(s) were ranged magic users.

Great music, nice artwork, very small world, lousy travel, it was a mixed bag with to many bad things outweighing the few, unfortunately spiderman says everybody gets one, and this game already got it.

Who killed it? Why devs did, no big suprise there.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 6:16PM Cendres said

Thanks Beau for the news, I really hope Frogster can turn this girl around!

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 7:33PM (Unverified) said

i concur with much of what has been said above regarding this game. the core game mechanics were superb, but unfortunately the implementation of those mechanics was severely gimped in all directions. this is one game whose potential was incredible but whose reality is almost nonexistent. the last time i played, my character experienced some kind of permadeath in Ringfell... a week later i logged in again to find my Void Seer still dead in the same spot. i didn't even bother to go to the forums to find out whether permadeath was a new in-game feature or not since i had only seen one other player in Ringfell during that two hours i had played previously... i just gave him up for dead. it'd be great to see this game resurrected successfully, but i must admit i've given up on that idea a while back.

Posted: Apr 24th 2010 6:45AM Purkit said

Has it really only been a year since launch?

I was looking forward to this game for a number of years and it turned out to be a real disappointment. Acclaim was basically incompetent in their launch and running of the game, the forums were laughably amateurish and the splitting of Europe into different communities was a moronic choice. However, even with all of this I would have played the game if it had been better. Unfortunately I disliked the character looks, the animations wasn't great and the starting zones were unplayable with more than a couple of people doing the same quests.

Its such a shame because the overall concept was great, it was just let down by some weird design choices and terrible management.

Posted: Apr 25th 2010 7:28AM Graill440 said

I still listen to the music from time to time, one of the best list of scores i have listened to, Haunting and relaxing. Bill Gates, pick this title up and call me.

Posted: Apr 27th 2010 3:53PM (Unverified) said

I really enjoyed my brief time in Spellborne, I've still got it installed and plan to check up on it someday...I loved the graphics and setting!

Posted: May 3rd 2010 3:34PM (Unverified) said

bye spellborn,don't misunderstand me,i do hope the game survive but when i red about the new version coming out sometime ago i got like....hey,redesigning?remaking the gameplay?and who is supposed to do this?
o s**t,an asian team?damn it!

if we will see again this game it will be most probably whit a new ultimate asia-style gind,ridicolous lore,point & click gameplay and,last but not least,fu**ing equip based

i hope i am wrong

p.s.
sorry for the terrible english,i'm italian

The Stream Team: A SWTOR housing tour

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Daily Grind: What do you buy in MMOs?

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 8:00AM