Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 7:09PM DevilSei said

"The Monkeysphere and his supporters remain adamant that his success is a result of a legitimate new strategy designed to kill macro users with a high degree of success. Whether the pilots are guilty of using this new exploit or their kills are legitimate, this new exploit is certainly an interesting development in EVE Online"

Oh totally legit, what you don't know won't kill you, and well, if you don't know this is an exploit, than they totally aren't killing you with an exploit!

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 7:37PM Darkdust said

Come on, this is the sort of thing that should be okay for the writer to take a position. It's clearly an unintended abuse of game mechanics through means that require illegitimate manipulation of the packet stream.

I'm hoping for some lifetime bans out of this, plus (obviously) a fix to the bug.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 8:19PM Crode said

The writer doesn't need a position. That's what readers are for :)

I still think the game would be better to not show anyone in local just like is done in wormhole space.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 7:59PM Its Utakata stupid said

Whether there's an exploit or not, I would be wary of any player on any game that called themselves, "lol internets." :(

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 8:17PM (Unverified) said

"If the pilot had been logged off in the asteroid belt SuperTight5 was in, he would have logged in one million kilometres away and warped into the belt"

Glad to see the coverage of the exploit, but the author has not done all his research. There are a few legitimate ways to avoid the automatic emergency warp when you log in. The easiest way is to drop an interdictor bubble and log out in it. There are a few more but I won't spread all the secrets around just yet.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 9:03PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I'll be surprised if the devs even do anything about it.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 9:34PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
The Monkeysphere is not an exploiter.

Everyone who gets killed by his method is either retarded or macro ratter. Simple as that.

Won't go into specifics of his methods because it will assist macro developers in countering it but if you are decent pvper with knowledge of eve mechanics you will understand how MS does it.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 9:46PM DrewIW said

Then why hasn't he had any kills since this exploit was made public?

If his method is entirely legit, he should be comfortable using it under the new scrutiny, right?

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 3:36AM halfcaptain said

you might be a proponent of the 'local isn't foolproof' ideology, but trickable or not, pretty much everyone in nullsec depends on it. have you watched the video? huhuhu appears beside the lone ratter about half a second after popping up in local. half a second! you're telling us you can do that?

why is it then, that noone will post steps to this exploit, or sorry, 'method'? could it be EULA reprisals? gee, that sounds like an exploit to me. if you're such a baddass pvp'er, and this is a legit method for hunting 'retards,' post the steps to your trick, i dare you.

half a second! best i can figure, this is an exploit using clever manipulation of connection data headed to the eve server. maybe not showing up in local could be a symptom of carefully induced lag?

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 9:57PM (Unverified) said

"In their own investigation organised on an off-site Russian forum, pilots from eve.ru discovered an exploit that the offending pilots may have used. They claimed to be able to consistently replicate a defect which causes pilots not to appear in the local channel and have produced screenshots of it in action. "

Russian macroers have detailed knowledge of the eve client. More on this at 11.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 10:13PM wjowski said

• Half a heart
Lol, Eve.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 2:36AM psycros said

• Half a heart
"EVE: 300K users worldwide and still not growing!" Problem is, real companies look at that and go, "see, nobody wants a space game! We sure ain't gonna try making a better one of those!" Wish EVE would go away so we could get a REAL space MMO.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 3:12AM (Unverified) said

Hi there, Mr. Troll.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that EVE is not an MMO that has been continuously growing at a steady rate for its entire lifetime.
Other developers have made sci-fi MMOs, including the recently launched STO, all of which have fared very poorly in comparison.

You don't have to like EVE, but I think everyone would appreciate it if you kept your useless, uneducated opinions to yourself.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 3:36AM halfcaptain said

alright, you're an idiot, and your comment is for all intents and purposes, spam. i would love to further dignify your comment with a reply, but this is an otherwise interesting comment thread. /troll rebuttal

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 11:19AM ultimateq said

Xennith, I'll upvote you, and I agree with you, but don't feed the trolls T_T Just downvote them.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 3:44AM Dblade said

• Half a heart
That thread reminds me why I left. Got to love "player driven stories" when they are all as lame as this or the goons disbanding when Karttoon didnt pay the bills.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 4:42AM (Unverified) said

This is the sort of thing that makes me glad I live in WH space 98% of the time...

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 11:17AM Ragemore said

Why have Local Chat at all, I mean Eve is suppose to be this BadAss PvP hardcore game, why would anyone show up in it if they didn't type into the channel, I say get rid of local chat.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 11:35AM (Unverified) said

I agree uncle. Though the way they're moving within systems may be an exploit, when I first read the headline I thought, "I wish we could all do that." Honestly, local is fine for high sec but that should pretty much be it. It's a lot of fun hopping into a system and -not- knowing who's around unless you use d-scan or probing.

I don't know many players who would prefer that CCP keep the local system the way it is now, and I've been in several carebear corps.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 3:55PM (Unverified) said

I can imagine it would be pretty easy for any player(such as monkeyspere) to make it into the battleclinic top 10 pvp'ers with this exploit, as you remove any risk to yourself by always having the element of surprise.

There better be bans out of this if there's evidence that players where using this exploit. Otherwise CCP are supporting unfair gameplay.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories