Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 9:12AM Enikuo said

@Matt
You're implying that there's outrage that the Chinese people are mourning, which just isn't the case. The article was specifically about the actions of the Chinese government, not its people. It's not fair to now imply that posters are somehow railing against the Chinese people mourning their dead.

And, I think I did explain how human rights are related to this issue and you claimed to understand that. So, I'm not sure why you claim there's no connection a few sentences later. Whether you believe the concern is misplaced or that they are misinformed is a completely different issue from whether it is related.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 9:13AM (Unverified) said

I just get the feeling that many people have a pretty warped view of China. Many seem to be blinded by propaganda or ignorance. China today is not the Mao's China of the 60's-70's. It's not North Korea. It's not this seemingly EVIL nation bent on doing EVIL while Hu Jintao chuckles maniacally while stroking a white cat (granted that would be kinda cool...).

I go to a University with allot of Chinese students. My University also does shared courses with a mainland Chinese University where I get to go and study there every summer. The bottom line is that it's not this horribly oppressed tyrannical nation like some people seem to think. Very centralized? Yes. Can you criticize policies and advocate reforms? Yes, as long as it's not crossing the lines of undermining the government/Country as a whole (nothing considered traitorous). Does their form of government suck? Probably, but then again which government doesn't.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 4:16PM (Unverified) said

We do not have a warped view. We, as realists, understand why and how people will act given the circumstances of their lives.

We live in the real world. We know people from Soviet states, the Middle East, and China that have fled to the US/Canada/UK/etc.

Please don't play pretend that the face value of discussions within those nations are/were what people really felt/were. And please don't disregard the obvious.

Two of my best friends of all time were from Azerbaijan and Hong Kong respectively. They and their families have plenty of stories about how they were so frightened while in their homeland they said anything. This has historical precedent. It's fucking OBVIOUS.

A government shutting down all entertainment for any reason is totalitarianism. Just because people happened to die this time means nothing. It's still the opposite of freedom and we, as humanity, should never condone it because this particular circumstance involves natural deaths.

I can't believe that massively.com was this obtuse. It is truly mind blowing. And I am not being hyperbolic.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 4:29PM (Unverified) said

And just a quick add: my good friend, who is from Hong Kong, suffers daily from the knowledge that most of his family was wiped out because they dared ask for democracy. You know, during the time China was publicly rolling tanks up on students? And the media blackout that followed and lasted for years? And has never been resolved but has learned to put on a slightly more pleasant public face?

They are not democratic in the least, they still murder and oppress, and as benign as this episode appears it's still a stark and visual symptom.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 5:06PM (Unverified) said

Wow. What a bunch of whiny, entitled, people. Massively wasn't supporting the Chinese government's oppression of the their citizens. Massively was supporting the taking of what amounts to a moment of silence in memory of those who died or are suffering now from the destruction there.

I agree with the other commenter: happened in the good ol' U.S. of A after 9/11. Heck, practically the entire world shut down after that event. Thanks, World, for the support.

Sorry China; gamers can't help you.

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 7:30PM (Unverified) said

After reading this article, and reading multiple comments, I'm not sure whether or not to be surprised how everyone reacted to what was said and done. I do know however, that I took what was said at the end of the article, not as a support of forced choices, but of having respect and silence for those who lost their lives.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to think one way or another, but I know from personal experience that it is mostly a matter of cultural difference. Maybe it's because of not liking where I live, or the fact that I want to see more than this little area that I've known these past 12 years, but I find that everyone is too hasty in judging other people because they act and think differently. Matt himself has said above that they don't mind, that it is a cultural respect for them to do so. If anyone has more accuracy to say so, than in my honest opinion is, it belongs to him as he was actually in China, talking to these people after it happened while we ourselves are an ocean away.
I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, or if I'll just get downrated, but I even find myself with very little comment as to issues of the government as I don't live there, know no one from there, and know very little about government in general besides the basics taught to all in high school.

Posted: Apr 28th 2010 1:31AM JoeH42 said

Well, I hope people will calm down a little and get some perspective. Does Massively support fascism? Of course not, don't be stupid. Does Massively think it is a nice gesture? I think so and I think it is a nice gesture. Now if in a few days I hear reports of people being put up against a wall and executed for playing Lineage on this chosen day, that might lend some support to the wild accusations and anger some people seem to feel. Until then, I'm not going freak out and start some sort of political rant. This article is about one single day in a Chinese person's life. If you want to talk about other days in their life and China in general and blah blah blah, please do it somewhere else.
I read Massively to find out about MMOs and discuss them. I read this article to find out about how players in China were being affected for one day out of their life. The day Massively stops being a useful site for the purposes I am using it, is a day far in the future I am quite sure. If I was working at Massively I wouldn't sit there and sweat and fret over making a statement like Rubi did for fear that people were going to have a cow over it. You can't walk around on eggshells all the time. If you think a writer should be fired for one single statement (I don't care what the statement IS) then you're stupid and please have your pizza delivery man fired the next time he's more than 30 minutes delivering your pizza, and stop playing your favorite MMO the second their server crashes.