Posted: Apr 20th 2010 10:48PM Rialle said

I really hate microtransactions, especially when I'm already paying a sub. Many MMOs are quickly turning into glorified Zynga games, and that is a BAD thing. I hope we don't see microtransactions in LOTRO, but I'm sure WB is salivating at the idea.

The two MMOs I have been looking forward to are TOR and FFXIV, and since TOR is being handled by EA, I'm sure they will follow suit and expect you to pay money to have a cooler looking lightsaber. So my hopes are somewhat wavering to FFXIV and the possibility of the migrant population from FFXI pushing on SE to keep things semi-hardcore in the new game, but only time will tell...

At this point, games like Darkfall are looking much better to me. I would rather suffer getting ganked repeatedly than lay eyes on a sparklemount in WoW. In fact, I would probably pay a premium sub price (say, $20 rather than $15) to be on a server with all microtransactions completely disabled. Just so I can be assured I am playing an MMO and not a glorified Farmville clone.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 11:27AM Harley Dude said

I'm more on the fence on this than ever after being firmly anti-MT. Part of me says if a bunch of chumps buying a digital horse for $25 keeps my monthly rate from going up, more power to them, and part of me says just grow a set and raise your rates and let everyone earn everything in game.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 11:42PM MrDiamondJ said

The only thing I can say is that, at some point, it must no longer pay to be an independent development house. What is it? Distribution?

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 12:59AM (Unverified) said

If LOTRO gets a cash shop, the game is dead to me. The game has one of the single best communities out of any MMO I've ever played, and it will be completely stomped into the dust if it goes f2p with a cash shop. The game is also one the most faithful representation of any franchise. I can't even sum up a decent representation of how angry/baffled I am at the moment.

It looks like I'm going to be renewing my AoC sub on the 30th and not my LOTRO until I can see how all of this turns out. I don't want to bother leveling my Hunter if the game winds up being as was mentioned earlier, a glorified Zynga game. I'd much rather play AoC with the knowledge everyone is on an even playing field in terms of content and items. I'll give it 6 months to see how everything turns out, hopefully they just fund Turbine and they continue to support and put out the amazing product that I have proclaimed as the best MMO ever made. But I'm sure that's just me being overly optimistic.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 1:13AM TheJackman said

Guys I told you this was coming at the end of last year!

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 1:14AM EdmundDante said

Well we had a good 3 years. Who knows what will happen with WB. Probably the best thing they possible could do would simply leave Turbine entirely alone and fuse them with more capital.

But who here believes that's going to happen, given the stupidity of the CEOs who run these megacorps.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 1:42AM Allegos said

The Financial Times quote in the article sounds like an omen for anyone who was looking forward to DC Universe Online.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 3:35AM wjowski said

And now Turbine gets to reap the rewards of having no real creative control over their product whatsoever. Dumbasses deserve everything that happens to them after this.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 5:05AM Dread said

Another way to look at it is - Turbine just got the rights to make games/MMO's based on a lot of WB movies.....

Silver linings and all....OK...I admit...I'm stretching it here....

:p

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 5:25AM Amusednow said

I guess they didn't learn their lesson from working with MS on Asherons and pretty much how they got the shaft then. Played AC from launch so I saw how it was handled like a redheaded stepchild and became nothing beyond what it could have been. Briefly played LoTRO but just wasn't it for me.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 6:16AM Misterlee said

Is it just me or did none of what Warner Bros say relate to making better games and all of it sound like more ways to push e-commerce onto more people?

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 6:33AM koehler83 said

Funny that Warner Bros. seems to understand that the future of entertainment is interactive better than Roger Ebert.

Hey Rog.. take a look at the paradigm shift happening right in front of you.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 6:45AM Snichy said

I am half way through the free 2 week trial of this game and so far I like it, maybe not enough to subscribe but I might have done before this news came out.

Large scale acquisitions rarely work out well for the little people.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 7:15AM Salaryn said

The end of Middle Earth as we know it :( :( :( Poor Turbine :( :( :( The Little Engine that no longer will...

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 7:29AM Lethality said

• Half a heart
I'm not sure how it matters either way. It's not like LoTRO in its current form is a blockbuster hit.

All of you idiots who think selling a mount or pet is wrong... grow up.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 7:38AM (Unverified) said

lolwut?
Look out folks - we have a genius in the comments section.

Care to explain to the rest of us exactly how having an opinion results in someone needing to 'grow up', and not be an idiot? 'Cos you've got me stumped on that one, Einstein.

(Mind you, this is from the person who openly states that "gay is not normal": http://www.massively.com/profile/1194823/ )

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 11:40AM Its Utakata stupid said

Actually, you're the one being defensive Lethality, perhaps because you know you're wrong and the one that needs to grow up. Why else would you reply when you're being criticized about your less than enlightened position? Non?

Making ad hominem sound bites is not evidence that you're correct. Rather it shows the lack of maturity and understanding you have on the subject.

Evidence also suggests homophobia is abnormal.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 7:29PM Rialle said

Don't be so certain of anything.

I personally suspect that WoW's subscriber base is lower than the last time they released official numbers, and we haven't seen new official numbers in some time. I suspect that we're not seeing them because Blizzard doesn't want them to be seen, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've shaved a couple million players in the past year or so. If or not these players come back to the game for Cataclysm remains to be seen. (As for Muqq, I don't think he will be coming back, if I had to guess.)

Without more recent official numbers, we don't have ANYTHING but anecdotes. Personally: Most of the players I started out with in WoW, back in 2004, have quit by now. A whole slew of players I met along the way during classic and BC quit about spring 2009 when it was clear that WoW's focus had shifted too far towards casual gaming. The players that replaced them were more casually oriented. Is this bad for business? It is hard to say. I personally think casuals are good for short term profits, but bad for long term longevity. Either way, it is safe to say that WoW's target audience in 2010 is not entirely the same audience as it was in 2004.

To top that off, WoW is now over five years old. It's age will eventually catch up to it, which is why Blizzard is working on a new MMO. I don't think WoW will "die" given that EQ1 and UO are still running in a diminished capacity, but I think within the next couple years we will see a very large drop in the player base as the next generation of games appears.

Not sure what this has to do with Turbine directly, except there is a fear that WB will make them try to copy Blizzard in every aspect without realizing that WoW is an anomaly in terms of MMO subscriber base.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 9:17AM rznkain said

Lethality your a idiot but you already made that quite obvious sure its not 11+ million hit like your precious WoW but Lotro is a very successful mmog by normal standards.Sipping on the WoW kool-aid too much and defending that 25 bucks you had to beg off mommy for your shiney new mount don't matter to me much.That 800 lb gorrilla known as wow has been losing customers by the droves lately well before that mount.,