Posted: Apr 20th 2010 12:38PM (Unverified) said

Wow this isn't getting weird, its getting stupid.
I now want to go make a whole bunch of alts with names just like his BeIiaI Foulsbane (thats iiai not lial :P) Belail and BeIaiI, Bialel,.
Is this guy really that stupid, did he skip the part of the qoute he took that says its LL that decides what is deceptive.

You may not select as your Account Name any name that Linden Lab determines may cause deception or confusion; may violate any trademark right, copyright, or other proprietary right or mislead other users regarding your identity or affiliation.

He does not own any copyright or any trademark that can be protected.
And what about the people that created their avatars that Fahy copied their names from to make his avatar.

I think all/most companies remove "offending" items when they get a DMCA, it is after that the the company checks to see if there was a real violation and/or in most cases the person with the "offending" item has to show the company that there is no infringement.

I can't wait for emerald to drop this thing, then we can stop hearing about this idiot, but chances are we won't,He will probably sue emerald developers for stepping on his right and making him lose business.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 12:46PM Meagen said

Wow, those are some dedicated griefers! Instead of just sending out notecards in his name saying something like "I saw ur mom last night", they actually threaten people into boosting his ratings on the off-chance that one of them will report him to LL.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 3:18PM (Unverified) said

Why would griefers develop new name spoof technology and an elaborate conspiracy to boost his search rank and advertise his product to over 2200 users? That is not the modus operandi of griefers or trolls.

How many people have now put his store in their profile? Deleted their account?

He denies it, and now gets all the benefits without the consequence of blackmail.
Lets get our tinfoil hats on and blame griefers with a super complex conspiracy, and ignore that transaction history links it back to him.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 3:20PM Meagen said

...yes, that *is* the point I was making.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 9:38PM (Unverified) said

It slipped past me. It's all so blatantly shameful.
We could take the word of a man that claims to own Emerald,
calls gestures algorithms,
claims copyright for something he didn't invent,
handwrites his own legal papers,
forgets to forge a judges signature,
blames griefers for helping his store,

or

we could just point at this guy and say "Dee Dee Zero!" while laughing as he is banned from SL, and bankrupted in RL lawsuits. (Real ones)

LOL

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 12:51PM Seffrid said

If this guy denies that he sent the threats, isn't it a non-story?

Besides which, all intellectual rights relating to any computer game - which is all that Second Life is notwithstanding the view of some that it is an extension of their real life - are surely owned by the developer, in this case Linden Labs.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 1:15PM (Unverified) said

Actually, no. Intellectual property rights remain vested in the users, when it comes to Second Life. That's quite a departure from many, but considering that almost every iota of content is user-created, it makes sense.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 12:55PM (Unverified) said

What a massive douchebag. Sue LL for making that last name publicly available to anyone that signed up for SL at that particular time. Perhaps Stephen R. Donaldson, who wrote Lord Foul's Bane, should sue this person. Or maybe the WoW guild, Fouls Bane, should do it.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 12:21AM (Unverified) said

My RL Intellectual Property Lawyer wife got a good laugh at his empty threats and complete non understanding of the law there. Trouble is some people might actually believe that stuff.

I have to laugh myself at his self importance. The stakes are so low in SL for all but a handful of people.....

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 1:17PM rznkain said

Well the funny thing is this guys supposed Speed Rez technology is a old trick that most who have played SL for years it is sure nothing he invented he just attached a gesture to it.,You also used to be able to take the bandwidth slider and run it back and forth really fast to help things rez abit faster also wonder when he will try to trademark that.Just another no skilled hack who things he is some sorta great inventor,

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 1:22PM (Unverified) said

I've never even played Second Life but damn, that guy is a douchebag and I'm tempted to make an account that "infringes" on his supposed copyrights just so I can drag his name through the mud.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 1:35PM Duffy said

This is kinda funny coming from someone who's name is probably a derivative of "Lord Foul's Bane" by Stephen R. Donaldson, thus not even being original enough to come up with a somewhat unique name himself.

Posted: May 11th 2010 3:05AM (Unverified) said

It's worse than that. You don't get to create your last name in Second Life. They provide a pool of last names when you create your account, and your first name is the part you have full control over barring prior usage of the same combination.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 2:18PM (Unverified) said

Well, SL users don't get to choose their surnames. You just get to select from a list that Linden lab provides, and put in what you want for the first name. Foulsbane, if I recall rightly, was available for a few weeks back in 2008.

So, Fahey selected Foulsbane and added the first name "Belial" (which traditionally translates to "worthless", "good for nothing") and is sometimes the name of an evil spirit, king of hell or demon, in various religious cosmologies.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 3:10PM (Unverified) said

Even his SL girlfriend Scarlett Vielle says:
"NOTICE: I am being targeted by some griefers who are sending out nasty spam messages in my name. I had nothing whatsoever to do with it and I apologize if you have received something from these instigators. LL is working to catch the offenders."

I have followed this story and nobody has ever complained that Scarlett Vielle sent anything to anyone. Why would she write that?

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 3:11PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 4:20PM (Unverified) said

/me snickers.

I trademark my SL name. But I'm not stupid enough to think that extends INTO the grid. I simply use it as a business tool on the outside of the grid for business inside the grid.

This is a good story though. It's always laughable to read about laughable people who proclaim laughable things while attempting laughable activities in a laughable way.

I know, this comment is laughable.
I'll go be quiet in a corner now.
in a laughable sort of way.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 5:04PM (Unverified) said

What a fucking loser dork.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 7:13PM mattwo said

unless he purchased a premium last name then he doesn't own it. It's LL's property in that case >.> he can't TM something some one else made up...the fact that he claimed to (c) it is even worse. There's no denying he did it. Plus speed rezing can easily lead to rez spammers which I wouldn't doubt he uses. This moron deserves a few years in jail if not an institute....

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 7:23PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Hmmm, my first thought was that this was just a recycled note card, there was some noteable cases of those a few years back.

But they are object sent you say?

I would love to see a copy/paste of someone's log that got this because that wording just doesn't seem kosher. I get more of the feeling that someone registered a very similar name, that Mr. Fahy has a 3 minute return on his land and that someone has exploited that to send this out.

* The notecard is trivial to fake.
* With a 3 minute return the location of the object is trivial to fake.
* The name of the person who owns the object can be misread if done carefully.

If this is a setup, and one of the John Does has done it then doing this could jeopardise their court case and maybe the cases of others. Fahy does have the right to get logs and we know very well that the Lab have a complete record of everything done and said by everyone.

If though this is true then Mr. Fahy has a number of screws loose.