Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:14PM breezer said

Yes. Seems obvious. One wonders if the devs are reading these comments and maybe realizing they have a serious nightmare in front of them in terms of marketing.

Then again, their target audience probably is not the average female Massively reader and probably more along the lines of the women who supposedly make up the majority of online gamers playing flash and facebook games. Who probably wouldn't be AS sensitive to a game marketing itself to women in such a way.

But come on...

"episodic content, unique shopping experiences, high fashion, art design, and intimate encounters, all in a tropical island setting."

That's just stupid. Marketing needs to try much, MUCH harder and show their audience a little respect and not assume they are vapid flakes.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:16PM Thrishmal said

The way they present it seems fairly sexist.

Like some others have already stated, if you want to make a game that will be popular with females...then make a game that will be popular with EVERYONE. This includes having great combat, crafting, social, and customization systems in place. Most everyone will like more options in their games, especially the crowd of gamers that really enjoy content outside of the "kill, kill, kill" model that dominates the market.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:18PM Rawry said

Wow. I honestly have no idea who is the targeted demographic for this blunder. Any women who has interest in 'high fashion' with a combination of 'art design', or 'intimate experiences' is probably never going to be interested in any sort of MMO. This is not only stereotypical cataloging, it's also insulting... and then there's intimate encounters.. IF YOU SO CHOOSE!! (as the website shrewdly puts it).. are they trying to target lesbians? Or are they implying there is relationships with npcs? And then there's the whole episodic content thing. This game looks like Second Life, à la Alganon.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 9:24PM whateveryousay said

There's already a social mmo out there aimed at women. It's called Farmville, look it up.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 9:27PM (Unverified) said

Though I can't prove it, that island screenshot looks suspciously like a lightly-edited version of the Island Demo included with the Unity3D game engine.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 9:57PM Cendres said

Hi, my name is Cindy and if that wasn't indication enough I'm seriously girly.

I paint my nails, love shopping, kitties, growing flowers, occasionally say the most air headed crap, and yes, yes I even bake. As my future career I'm looking at becoming an esthetician if all works out.

In an MMO, it's true I'm crazy about customization and housing, I like having a place that is my character's own spot in a virtual world.

BUT it's not really an MMO if I can't chop off zombie heads, blow up ogres or snipe the occasional spy.
Intimate encouters? eharmony is that way >>>> As is red light center for that matter.

It's not that I have an issue with such a game it's the thought that a feminine woman would totally love this because she is interested in those things in real life. Here's a thought: I play MMOs to get away from real life and do things I could NEVER do, not plunge right into drama which, yes this is the type of game that will be ripe with it. Also Home from playstation has this very thing but with GAMES, where you can SHOOT things. :D

With all the work some people have put in into their Second Life too I don't know if this will have much success (some people have created just amazing little worlds), I think they need to get away from 'we're targeting women who don't even game' to here's a cool place to create content and find friends. /shrug

And for my last point of contention VIE ----> Life.
I have a very nice life already thanks, I just can't levitate or shoot sparks out of my fingers yet.... ;)

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 4:13AM J Brad Hicks said

49 comments so far, two paragraphs of news, and not one word about the actual gameplay. There almost certainly is a market -- for both genders -- for gameplay other than killing mobs and looting their corpses. Not that anybody's come up with any, yet, unless you count EVE's asteroid-grinding and market-manipulation PvP. So -- have they shown any actual gameplay? Or is it going to be like Second Live, just chatting and shopping?

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 10:01AM VioletArrows said

Blasted website has nothing on it other than a beta sign up and a media log in. It's supposed to be out later this year, but this is the first we're hearing of it and there's nothing to show? :/

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 10:26AM Cendres said

I think it's made pretty obvious that for now it's just a glorified 3D chat. There are so many of them out already that do all those things, they'll either have to blow everyone else out of the water in terms of quality or have something no one else has.

They say they 'hope' to have a certain amount of user generated content, that's probably how far 'gameplay' will go. I'd be more interested if THAT was their main draw and everything else was extra....

Choose My Adventure: Adventuring in ArcheAge

Posted on Jul 9th 2014 7:00PM

Leaderboard: What should I play for fun?

Posted on Jul 9th 2014 4:00PM