Posted: Apr 19th 2010 7:50PM Birk said

Anyone else having a hard time finding reasons to continue abstaining from Runescape?

Man, I might even consider going back to WoW if they found some way of creating randomly generated dungeons.

...Now that I think about it, seems that Diablo had it right a long, long time ago. Take notes on this stuff here, devs of future MMOs.

Just dont pull a Hellgate: London.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:06PM breezer said

People regarding randomly generated dungeons as a good thing never fails to blow my mind.

WoW's dungeon design is (my skin is shuddering as I type this, it pains me so but...) amazing. Why on earth would you trade the most brilliantly designed instances in the MMO world for soul-less, lifeless, random, randomly generated dungeons?

Don't get.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:13PM Sorithal said

@Breezer

They could always keep in the "brilliantly designed" part. It's just that it could be a bit more random in room/NPC/(possibly even) boss setup/placement to keep it more interesting. That'd probably spark my interest back in instancing and such if it didn't feel like I was just doing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. Some variety would be nice, since that would also kill the predictability with being unable to just say "okay, in this next room we do this, this, and this," and such.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:43PM breezer said

Oh. Point taken.

Randomly generated theoretically gives you a unique experience every time.

Not sure how true that is, but I see your point nonetheless.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 9:59PM karnisov said

you know if DDO did procedurally generated content from the beginning the replay value would have been through the roof. i bet they never would have had to do the whole F2P thing.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 7:51PM Birk said

Man, anyone else having a hard time coming up with reasons to abstain from Runescape lately?

I might even go back to WoW if they came out with random gen dungeons. God, that would breathe some life into grinding heroics for badges.

Then again, there was Hellgate: London...

*shudder*

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 7:52PM Birk said

Well, this is embarassing. Move along *whistles*

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 10:37PM GaaaaaH said

Is it members-only?

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 1:23AM kasapina said

Nope, it isn't, it's free (with member elements, as all other free skills). Massively is late to the party though, runescape players have already moved on to ranting about the forum update :P

Anyhow, I tried the thing. Didn't get past level 3 (that is 2 runs), but maybe that was because in order to access the harder dungeons you need to try the easier ones first, and it isn't fun one/two shotting almost everything. Or maybe it was because I tried to solo what is supposed to be a party skill (it can be soloed, but I think we all agree that dungeons are more fun with a party).

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 11:21PM (Unverified) said

runescape had its prime like 4 years ago its long over new little kids ruin the community

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 4:20AM (Unverified) said

Four years ago? See how subjective 'prime' is? I'd say its prime was around six years old. Robe + Rune Sword and Helmet FTW. Too bad they closed down the wilderness, that was the thing that first got me hooked on PVP. But haven't played full-loot in a game since then sadly.

But the game hasn't really been great at any time, even six or seven years ago something like UO or Everquest was still far better.

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 10:27AM (Unverified) said

Heh when I went to my interview at Jagex a bit back they were talking about this.

Cool to see it up there.

The Stream Team: Vanguard's final week

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 11:00AM

WRUP: This is why we can't have nice things

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 10:00AM