Posted: Apr 19th 2010 3:29PM (Unverified) said

a very interesting introduction to the basics of crafting in the game. Now complete the process by describing in detail the process of making the various components and how to combine the runes with the recipes.

Cheers

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 6:18PM (Unverified) said

The thing that bugs me is the changed they made to the blue recipes. The recipes show that the item you create will be "clean" with no attributes and that was indeed what you would get when you crafted such an item. You could sell such items on the AH for a good amount. Then about the time that they introduced the 'attribute cleaning' CS item they changed crafting so the blue recipe items you craft have two random attributes added to them. Now you might as well sell them an NPC because no one wants to buy them on the AH with two low junk attributes on them. It would cost them real money for the CS item to clean it up. I spent a lot of time and gold buying up all of the blue recipes for my crafting before they changed it and now that is all wasted because of these random junk attributes. They haven't even bothered to update the recipes to note that they also include two random (junk) attributes. They should either make these items "clean" again or make the attributes high level so they are worth the investment to craft them.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 6:34PM (Unverified) said

Because production requires such an enormous supply of gatherables, the amount of time spent gathering well exceeds the time spent gaining character levels. It just isn't worth it to try to keep up--say, tailoring--in order to make equipment for yourself. Even if willing to take the time, however, a player may still come up empty because of production runes, which are dropped rather than gathered.

Production runes are not uniformly distributed among the creatures you kill. This makes runes for certain professions rare, or at least rare during large periods of the leveling process. Unfortunately, the number of runes a particular creature drops are proportional to its level difference to you. If you outlevel the mob that you need to farm for them, their drop rate plummets. Probably the best way around this is to create disposable alts so that you can underlevel the mobs for maximum drop rate. Or, they can be bought in the cash shop.

I'm still unclear whether there's any point in leveling up equipment crafts on a main character. I've heard there are a few items that are bound upon crafting, but it's not clear if this is intended as a benefit, or just a mix-up in item data. If intended, such items are not balanced among the professions, and may just not be worth the hassle of giving up a gathering slot.

In the end, it seems like RoM's crafting system was tossed in because it's expected in an MMO. Crafting gear is more of a way to burn time in game than a particular augmentation to the game itself. Consumables may be more worthwhile for end-game; I'm not sure. (I'm haven't reached that portion of the game, yet.)

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:18PM Sorithal said

Crafting in most games, especially ones that focus on getting the best stuff from raiding and whatnot, are usually just there as extra time sinks or methods to sort of prep characters up for the end game.

At least, that's what it seems like.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:38PM jeremys said

Some great points.

@Bindspell - It's another interesting look at whether this was a quick fix just to make crafting more appealing right now, or if it was intended. I have been crafting a lot lately, but mainly to level my profession, so I use white recipes and have been paying little attention to how they come out. Tonight I had one of the items come out green without added stats, and one blue with an added stat. The other noticeable part of this test is that if you craft enough whites, you'll end up with a blue (I got one tonight, out of 12 tries). But with the chance being lower the higher the grade bonus, you're likely to spend just as many resources (or more) as you would if you started with a blue recipe. The stats are almost identical too. Still, to keep to your comment, I thought that stat bonuses were random on everything in the game(regardless of how you got them)? I'll do some more research and testing.

@Jaam - You did a good job of explaining some things. I think it goes toward what I said about the system needing more. I still think the system is really well made. There's so many possibilities for using it, without changing the system itself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something in Chapter 3. As it is now, it actually has appealing aspects. I think some players like crafting, and don't always see a need for it to have a reward system on par with anything else in the game. As long as you can play merchant by selling resources and items on the auction house, and make items that you hope players will use, it can be a fun aspect of game play. But like I said, it needs balance and at least an adequate amount of variety to keep anyone interested.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance