Posted: Apr 18th 2010 6:40PM AyAitch said

I've just started playing myself, and I've found I have the most fun with the Barbarian. Tempest of Set will be fun down the road, but I can't get over how boring that class is early in the game - blast lightning, repeat. The Herald of Xotli is... crazy... and comes close in my heart to the Barbarian...

... but nothing beats screaming out in barbaric fury, swing and hitting everything around you, and moments later standing in a pile of dead NPCs.

Go Cimmerian, or go to Hell!

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 6:41PM AyAitch said

Forgot to add - this was a great guide! In the future, when I'm looking for an alt, this article will be very helpful.

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 6:45PM Pingles said

With each article my resistance grows weaker! I need to stop reading these articles or I'm going to go into a fugue and wake up with a subscription!

I enjoyed my first run through AoC when it opened and got distracted by something shinier. But I am tempted to give it another shot.

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 6:48PM drunkenpandaren said

I remember when the game launched my ToS was pretty op. I was only allowed to drop 1 unmovable totem according to the skill, but I was actually able to drop as many as my mana pool would let me. I was a god once thanks to that bug.

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 8:24PM jpkustra said

I play a lvl 31 ToS and yes... I do mostly spam one or two spells but the ability to heal myself allows me to solo(so far) pretty well.
I just came back about a week ago and I'm glad I did. The changes to items make things much more clear and give you one less thing to think about so you can enjoy the combat and graphics.

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 8:41PM Joshua Przygocki said

Ok, damn you Jef, you have gotten me to start reinstalling AoC, I am starting to remember the lovely times I had on my Demo and feel like trying a Necro, and maybe have another go at healing, and maybe keep an Assassin in Tortage for some White Sands Stress Relief™.

Also, I was on the Tyranny server, I didn't care for it, is the population on Cimmeria or Wiccana any better?

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 9:42PM Jef Reahard said

I haven't played on Tyranny since 2008. I'm currently running around Conall's Valley on both Cimmeria and Wiccana and they seem to be fairly populated. I haven't really tried to group yet, but there are always people running about. Wiccana may have a wee bit larger population, at least when I play (usually Eastern prime time).

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 10:14PM AyAitch said

I'm on Wiccana myself. I've not really noticed other players - they're there, certainly, but they don't hinder me, and I don't play alone.

Talking with others players, I've gotten the sense that players fall into two groups - the level 80s, and the players who - like me, and probably you - have decided to sub or resub to the game, after hearing it was much improved.

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 10:54PM jpkustra said

I have all my characters on Set but since I just resubbed, all I ever hear anyone talk about are Cimmeria & Wiccana servers. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't jump ship and head to another server? I just don't feel like re-rolling on a server I'm not sure what the population is like.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 12:04AM Rocky said

Cheers on the article. I actually enjoyed this one. Quick overview of the classes with mention of some major changes since launch. Caters to the newbs and the potentially returning players alike. Bravo.

Hope you know the drama from last week's post wasn't personal. Just didn't agree with the content. Nothing against you, the writer.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 3:40PM Jef Reahard said

No sweat, glad to see you're still reading. In all honesty, people have every right to criticize, I certainly did it when the roles were reversed.

/tiphat

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 12:20AM (Unverified) said

xslipperyx,

Wiccana is the highest pop for PvE and has a pretty good pop that like to do minis, Cimmeria is highest pop for straight PvP. If you decide to try out Wiccana and like it and need a good guild, look up Ravens of Memory, great bunch of people that do PvE, PvP, and raids.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 12:23AM (Unverified) said

Also wanted to add that although Cimmeria has the RP-PvP tag, Wiccana is actually the unofficial RP server and has the highest RP pop, if you're into that. If you're not, no worries as you won't get hit n the face with it.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 1:41AM Orvidos said

Wiccana is actually where the RP is at? Damn it all, I just got my HoX out of Tortage after coming back and trying -everything else- first.

Well, guess I'll be rerolling. Besides, it's only Tortage. The best part of the game, even if the rest has been improved.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 8:25AM Seffrid said

A nice guide, well-written and very informative. Thanks a lot.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 10:40AM (Unverified) said

I will be the first to tell you how much I hate Funcom/Failcom after the release of Age of Conan. I was a late Beta tester and a head starter account holder. I played for a total of 6 months on and off and just hated the bullshit from the mismanagement, shitty patches, horrible decision making (all powerful gems), EE and his PR lies, and the bugs -o- bugs of AoC. That said...

I tried the trial and afterward I re-subbed. Oh God! I said it! AoC is better and more polished. It is the game it should have been on release!!! I find it more entertaining and I am immersed. So yes... I will play it for a while to see.

Great Guide!!! I see, from the Guide and ingame, the classes are still not balanced but that happens in every game. ;)

BTW - Fuck Funcom! I still hate you... now learn from your lesson (and tons of lost revenue) and make Secret World polished and kickass from release!

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 8:29PM Lateris said

Craig Morrison is why AoC is better.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014