Posted: Apr 16th 2010 12:38PM ZenJitsu said

City of Heroes made some great compromises on that. Even though it still costs 'prestige' to maintain a base (rent), that number is based on the amount of useful things, such as storage space. Decorative items cost prestige to buy, but are rent-free. Also, the smallest bases are rent-free as well.

In addition, they allowed you to designate bases as being raidable (PvP) or simply decorative (PvE). If it was decorative, they relaxed the rules on many things, allowing you to stack objects however you want, even overlapping them.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 12:52PM Seffrid said

The two main issues with housing in LoTRO as I see it are first the restrictive number and format of the hooks, and second the cost of running it especially if you aren't always playing the game (which is the case for a lot of lifers who paid their lifetime payment precisely so they could dip in and out of the game).

The first problem can be fudged by amending the hook specifications, but the only ideal long-term solution would be to copy the free format of EQ2.

The second problem could easily be fixed by reducing the normal weekly rent and abolishing the escrow payment so all you have to do to re-activate your house after an absence is pay the next week's rent - again as per EQ2.

Whilst my house can occasionally be useful for the teleport facility, its overall use has diminished for me since the welcome introduction of shared bank slots. Nonetheless, player housing is still worthwhile and I've no doubt that Turbine could make it immensely more so with just a few instant tweaks, short-term fixes, and long-term changes.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 1:55PM Pojoh said

I like my house in Lotro, but I'd like to echo the writers words. Hooks is a major problem. Stuff for houses drop in dungeons, in festivals, and of course there are the animals like wargs, bears, tigers .. oh my. And don't forget the stuff for your house like crafting items and ... well... lots of lots of fish. You get the idea, there's alot of stuff. I have one chest filled with items for my house that I can't use. So its no wonder that this has come up in the forums so much. I think the housing issue has been on the back-burner for some time because the Turbine team has been working on gameplay and everything else... which is good, but I think enough time has gone by that they could look at dealing with this 'headache' once and for all.

Thanks for bringing this article to Massively.com ... Here's hoping it gets some attention :)

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 4:34PM (Unverified) said

Interior should be just like in EQ2 (i'd love some REAL windows with view to the outside) no hooks and maybe items that Lower Monthly cost if used in decorations.

Exterior is fine although I rather you can choose the type of house on the plot you choose.. Similiar to Vanguard Housing.

Lastly, they need to move the instance entrance MUCH closer to the main cities.. Dwarf housing Should be Inside of Thorin's Hall, Bree homestead should be instant right next to South gate of Bree. same with others. (or at least a Horse connection right outside)

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 3:47PM Sorithal said

LotRO housing, especially with the neighborhood stuff, has huuuge potential. Hopefully Turbine will be getting rid of hooks, or adding more in and making them more flexible so I can actually have like... a wall of trophies and such, or an actual table set up with chairs around it, and stuff like that.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 5:05PM karnisov said

they could be looking at alternate progression methods, but instead its housing. meh.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 5:09PM Liltawen said

I loved my house and it's location,etc. but I was always paying upkeep and never went there so when I got to Moria I gave in up as it was on the other side of the world. What I really wanted was a place to go and do crafting but there wasn't any in the little neighborhood. A house in Moria or Lothlorien or that weird little place across the river in Rivendell would be nice.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 7:57PM Lateris said

I love the dwarf cavern where my player house is. But I think turbine should examine and revamp the house system and take some tips in terms of how SWG allows freedom of movement for items inside the house. I think housing in LOTRO has a huge potential to grow in terms of game play. It is a great game.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 9:17PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

LoTRO "housing" is a joke. If the designers played EQ2 for a day or two they could see just what is possible.

Well, my old unused house is still there I guess just outside Bree, unpaid for, blocking the ability for other people to get a prime spot between the ford and the store for well over a year now.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 10:54PM Oneiromancer said

EQ2 also really integrated the home experience into the game. Many quests and collections give house items that inspired me to actually do more decoration.

I can only remember one time in LOTRO that I found an item that I could put in my house. And as has been noted, the cost is so prohibitive, especially when you stop playing for a while, that it's just not even close to worth it for me.

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 5:05AM Cristiano Cenizo said

There is always one of your type to make comments like this. First off, you mention "they," which just so happens to be the /players/ bringing up the issue of housing. Turbine issued a survey to the players, the players responded, and now Massively.com is bringing the main issue to our attention. Before you make exasperated comments about "they," figure out who "they" are. There has been no official response or word from the developers at Turbine about the re-design of housing. Take the meh elsewhere.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 11:27AM Cristiano Cenizo said