Posted: Apr 16th 2010 11:19AM misterorff said

Monthly Fee: $15
New Game Box: $19 (with 30 free days)
Mount: $25...

I understand why Blizz/Act is doing this, what I don't understand is why so many people are actually buying it... it seems like such a waste of money. It saves you a small amount of in-game gold because you still need training, and they are already EVERYWHERE... making the regular flying mounts the rarest in the game.

To answer the actual question: The only time I regretted a micro-transaction was when I changed realms on a character to be with a boyfriend at the time... we broke up soon after and I now had my main on a realm I no longer wanted to be on.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 11:20AM TheJackman said

Micro transactions just suck for any game.... lucky Blizzard's WoW does not have a ingame store and does not sale any useful items. I never will pay any cent to have a pet/mount for real world money like its useless and when every one else got it its even more waist of money! Blizzard does not sale XP, Armor or gold none of your friend will be force to buy anything to keep up like your mount is only markup on your toon!

And people that say in F2P games you own what you buy need read ones again over the terms if the game get shutdown or one of that Micro transactions goes bad you got a huge change to loss it all without any claim on anything!

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 11:33AM Zach Adams said

I bought a block of character slots in CoH when they first became available, but never used them as my usual group started to fall off around that time and I became a very occasional player. That's pretty much the only one I can think of that I outright regret, though I never actually used most of the costume pieces in packs.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 11:48AM Evy said

I have no problems with it as long as the items for sale don't give anyone an unfair advantage. Mounts, character transfers, plushy dolls, whatever. That's fine. If they start selling experience boosters and the like, I will be annoyed.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 12:19PM Firebreak said

I love how cryptic does this and that makes them the devil but when blizzard does it they are wonderful. I guess it shows that popularity trumps hypocrisy or maybe people can just rationalize anything.

Anyway I did not have a problem with Cryptic doing it nor WoW doing it. I don't plan on buying anything like that so it will not affect me. I just wish they would go ahead and take the plunge and make their games free to play.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 12:33PM Eamil said

"I love how cryptic does this and that makes them the devil but when blizzard does it they are wonderful."

I'm sensing confirmation bias here, or maybe I'm forgetting exactly how the comments here tended to run, but on the STO forums there was a pretty even divide between C-store haters and the people who defended the idea.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 4:29PM (Unverified) said

The difference with Cryptic is that they don't put out complete games before populating their RMT stores.

Blizzard consistently puts out free content and plenty of other upgrades between expansions and has been doing so for years. A more analogous example would be CoH, but even they have more content than either of Cryptic's two games. That they are thinking about producing a third, the rumor of it being Neverwinter Nights, is crazy as the first two are still not finished.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 12:24PM JustPlainJim said

I really don't see why so many people are up in arms about the mount in the Blizzard store. If gives no extra stats; it just looks neat. For me, it'll be nice to be able to fly at 310 without being on the big purple lizard... If I decide to get one.

Topic at hand: Microtransactioner's remorse. I've only bought three things in MMORPGs, one action figure in Champions Online (using the points that came with the game), Lil' KT for a friend and the Pandaren monk for another friend. No regrets, even though I no longer play CO. But, if/when I ever go back to it, I know my little guy will be there waiting for me.
I just wish that the cryptic store had more items that I'd be interested in buying, or a way to give my extra points to someone that will actually use them.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 12:52PM (Unverified) said

Uh-oh! This sounds like another WoW nerd rage. Seriously though this is a common thing now I guess. Though as long as it's cosmetic people don't make so big fuss about it. LOTRO had shared storage(more slots + You in this game can't sent multi attachment mails = very handy), mounts and cosmetic items in special packs and who wanted bought those and people are pretty content. WoW mount doesn't give any edge except small saving of gold fee for mounts. Which is nothing compared to riding skill upgrade anyways.

As for micro-transactions overall - people who "want it all want it now" will prolly suffer. those buying what they need, especially in F2P game shouldn't hgave issues. At least I haven't.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 1:14PM wjowski said

I might actually care about the mount if I were a 12-year-old girl.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 4:31PM (Unverified) said

Looks like Rainbow Unicorn Attack, dunnit?

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 1:46PM mode7overworld said

I sorta regret spending money in Second Life. I bought some land and paid the monthly fee required to keep it, which was more than I've payed for any subscription game before, but I enjoyed building on it so much that it was worth the cost to me at the time. Unfortunately I had to cut down on expenses and SL was the first to go, and in the interim they deleted my character, land, and everything else. I asked if they could restore my character and her inventory, but they said too much time had passed, so I essentially threw a bunch of money into the nether.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 1:48PM mode7overworld said

paid*

Give us an edit button! :P

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 6:10PM Graill440 said

Microtransactions are indeed the weakminded peoples candy, my opinion. Seriously, your going to purchase something, one, you dont own and never will (read your eula), you lease your shiny new stuff, just as you lease your game (the majority anyway) and secondly the extra grief from folks not as weakminded as you for buying this extra bling knowing your getting hosed. Entertainment is entertaiment after all, but getting sucked into every currency sucking scheme those gaming folks come up with? Really?

Its your money, do as you see fit, but its also our choice to look at you and make comical statements about your choices. Thats what the social in an MMO is all abouth though isnt it?

***Adendum***..........halfway through my typing this response i called my brother, i swore to myself i wouldnt disown him if he had bought anything microtransactionwise, he and his friends play WOW.........he and two friends were proud owners of the panda pet..............he didnt know about the other stuff but said he was going to check into it, i told him he was weakminded, he said "wth you mean by that bro?!" I told him not to worry about it and laughed.

Sad stuff. I wonder if i am adopted.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014