Posted: Apr 16th 2010 9:29PM Joshua Przygocki said

Kinda worth it, especially because I'm on my 1.5mb/s DSL so I would be downloading the game at 100 to (if I'm very lucky) 200 kb/s.

And for others, even when I downloaded mine on a 20mb/s connection, it takes several hours to download the WHOLE thing, an another good chunk of time to patch it.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 9:43PM DevilSei said

Yeah, it took the better part of a day for me to download the game digitally, I'd hate to see how long it would take to download both the game AND expansion too...

And, I wish other companies would start doing this. Releasing the entire game instead of having to buy several... (lookin at you WoW).

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 12:58AM EngadgetSoFunny said

You haven't seen the world of warcraft battlechest before :D? Its BC + original...so you'd just need to buy 1 exp...wraith of the litch king once you get your first character to around 60ish which would probably take a total newbie to WoW 1 month or so assuming an experienced player isn't rushing them via the recruit a friend feature.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 10:24PM Joshua Przygocki said

Yea, for GW it was ok, but those were stand along expansions, and they were reasonably priced, I think it kinda sucks if you bought the game to begin with though then have to pay for the game AND expansion. So I can see Blizzard's point in doing what they do.

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 5:42AM (Unverified) said

@devilsei:

Most games DO release the entire game. EQ2, LotRO, EQ....they all do it that way. WoW is the exception. Ridiculous but they make money that way, though I do not think its fair to the consumer.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 11:39PM jpkustra said

I just came back to the game and I'm glad I did. My toons are only in the low 30's but I'm discovering things I never noticed before. The game plays nice and smooth and I'm having fun exploring.

Can't wait for the additional content!

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 12:55AM JediPagan said

Can't wait. AoC needs a re-launch of sorts, because it really has become one of the best MMOs on the market.

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 4:23AM (Unverified) said

I'm inclined to agree. I've gone back to AoC multiple times (when I find the time to do so) and constantly find it to have improved since my last visit. I'll probably be picking up the AoC+Godslayer retail pack, especially if the exclusive items are usable by low-level characters and such to make leveling less of a pain - not that it's particularly difficult, mind you, but any help is always good. Now if only I could convince my friends that it's not the piece of shit it was at launch so they'd play it with me. /ponder

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 9:05AM (Unverified) said

I think I'll pick it up, I want to see how much has changed since launch.

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 6:07AM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
The majority of the playerbase left for a reason, the old AOC is still there, with all its faults, little was fixed, and those things that crushed AOC are still present.

The things that made the few hundred thousand folks leave wont be fixed in the expansion, without getting into any arguments, simply said, the majority are still left out in the cold, and as everyone knows, the minority of folks left do not make a game successful, to few subs.

You cant add nifty stuff to a broken game and expect it to all of a sudden become successful.

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 9:09AM Seffrid said

I can't find any link to the announcement, so I'm left wondering how this relates to those of us who bought a year's subscription to include the expansion - do we only get the download and miss out on the retail bonus items?

As for the game itself, a lot of the things that put people off at launch have already been fixed including eg performance issues, quest bugs, mid-level content, PvP issues and so on.

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 10:38AM Birk said

@Graill

Hey man, I understand that AoC had a rough launch and all. I have never played the game, and am sort of looking in to it at the moment. It seems people have renewed optimism for the game, and the pvp bits are appealing to me more and more from what I have seen.

I understand that you may be frustrated, but if youre genuinely convinced that the game remains broken, please let us know why. I like seeing both sides of the argument, but simply saying that the game remains broken sounds like a generalization from a jaded veteran that hasnt played since launch.

If you really do have concerns about the game though, Id like to know what they are before I spend my hard-earned money.

Thanks man

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 6:10PM (Unverified) said

@Birk

Don't worry.
Searh for Graill's posts here on the site. He is doing the same thing with every MMO he comments on. Just don't take this guy too seriously.

Posted: Apr 17th 2010 6:23PM (Unverified) said

AoC is one of the best games i've ever played, not really the best MMO but as an experience to play through its really not to be missed. It has more atmosphere than any other game i've played, some of the locations will blow your mind, and the first 20 levels are some the best moments you will ever have gaming. I highly recommend you level a character to max, and even if you quit afterwards, it truely is worth it.

Posted: Apr 19th 2010 1:52PM Harley Dude said

As someone who had been critical of Funcom for the way AoC was at launch and who absolutely hates DDL's, I have to to give Funcom props for putting the expansion in a box for those of us that like having DVDs in case of Windows taking a dump.

I probably won't be buying the expansion just because I don't see myself going back unless Turbine does something to LotRO to make me ragequit before TOR launches, but they certainly increased their chances by not making me download 10 gigs worth of expansion.

Hands-on with Windborne's early access