Posted: Apr 21st 2010 1:10AM (Unverified) said

The problem I have with this is that it allows 'real world' (money) to intrude on the fantasy world you're playing in. I see someone riding around on one of these and I straight away think '$25USD'. Which leads to 'they paid 25$ for a bunch of pixels?', then 'it's all just a bunch of pixels, sigh.' Immersion ruined.
When everything in the game is obtainable through ingame mechanics, immersion is maintained, you can lose yourself and have fun. As soon as you start adding stuff that involves out-of-game investment, the fantasy bubble is popped. I don't have any problem with people valuing what they are buying (I agree, the horse is cool), but for the game as a whole I see this as a poor move.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 12:25PM (Unverified) said

I don't understand how Blizzard can do this and then legitimately attack Gold Sellers. Isn't it basically the same thing? The only difference in my mind is that gold sellers go out and farm the gold (or hack steal it) vs. just create it out of thing air and add it to the game. Other than that... pot meet kettle.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 12:52PM (Unverified) said

As much as I hate that freakin glow pony, I can't really see anything wrong with Blizzard selling them. Yes, they do save 161 gold (closer to 140 with faction discounts) if they level a character 1-80, but they still have to pay the 6300 gold to learn how to ride. Not to mention that this is nothing new. It's no different than the TCG mounts that sell for $100+ on ebay. When they start selling things that provide an actual benefit you can't get in the game, then I'll be upset about it, but I don't see Blizzard ever doing that.

That being said, Orcs and Trolls are a hardy bunch, please stop converting our home city into Sparklemar.

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 1:28PM (Unverified) said

I don't feel guilty about buying electronic items from the Blizz store. I bought the Pandaran monk when they were giving all the money to a charity so Blizz didn't even get my $10. And I only decided to buy the horse when I found out it was account bound. I am an alt-aholic and the idea of having an automatic mount for all my current and future toons was great. I never would have bought it if it was only for only 1 toon. How many people forked over 100s of dollars to get the loot cards in the trading game? Isn't that a bigger waste of money. At least for my $25, I'm guaranteed to get exactly what I want.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 8:13PM (Unverified) said

Blizzard got some of the money off the Pandaren monk. Just to clarify, they didn't give 100% of profits to Make a Wish, they gave 50%

Posted: Apr 21st 2010 4:12PM (Unverified) said

Some people seriously need to get a life.

What any other person chooses to spend their money on is none of your business. I could set fire to the $125 I spent on these mounts (one for my account, one for my husband's account, and one for each of my three nieces), and it would still be none of your business.

As for the "advantage" of not spending gold on alts...seriously, you all need to step back, take a deep breath, and lay down the crack pipe.

One slow ground mount = 1 gold
One fast riding mount = 10 gold
One slow flying mount = 50 gold
One fast flying mount = 100 gold

This is, by the way, without any reputation at all. Of course, since you build up reputation as you go, free of charge (and usually get monetarily rewarded while you're doing it), you can almost count on the rep rewards making your mounts less expensive.

So, at an estimate of between 100 - 120 gold saved, at best, 161 gold saved, at worst.

Which is pretty much a drop in the bucket. A very small drop. By the time I was level 80, I had already looted (just in coins from the mobs I killed) almost 5000 gold. That doesn't count the auction house sales, the vendor trash sales, any of the quest rewards I received...just what coins I had picked up from mobs. Therefore, each of my toons can be assumed to save, at the very best, perhaps 3 - 5% of JUST THE COINS looted from mobs.

When you add in all the other gold from other sources, it's going to be less than 1% of total profits saved by that alt. Is that really such an enormous advantage that hissy fits and temper tantrums must be performed?

And that, by the way, is not even counting the other ways you can get mounts in the game without spending a single gold - Winterspring frostsaber, black war bear, raven lord's mount, blue proto-drake, etc. It also doesn't take into account the other ways you can get mounts without spending a single gold coin in the game for them (TCG anyone? Where are the temper tantrums about these mounts?)

And, as for this imaginary double standard:

The basis of this "double standard" is that all, or at least a significant portion of the people who bought this mount oppose micro-transactions in general. You'd be surprised to learn that, at least in the majority of the people I know, there is no such objection.

Most of the people I know have bought pets from Blizzard's pet store in the past. They have spent money on micro-transactions on other games. Personally, back when I played Kingdom of Loathing, I would buy the item of the month, every month - this lasted almost 3 years I was doing this. I've also spent real money on other micro-transactions in other games, both F2P and subscription based. No double standard here.

Quite frankly, about half of the complaints seem to boil down to "I can't afford this mount, so no-one should have it!" The other half is a bit more garbled, but seems to be based on the assumption that another's spending habits are publicly admonish-able.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 12:51AM (Unverified) said

So similarly buying gold is, perhaps not acceptable (or is it?), but by your definition it is at least not publicly admonish-able. If it's OK to spend 25$ to buy the mount, is it similarly OK to buy the gold for the riding skill? Or at the very least, someone buying gold is none of your business.

Other question I wanted to ask, not directly related to your quote but because I don't want to double-post, from people commenting on how selling bags for bucks is bad. I don't get this. I don't know the game in question (Allods was it?), but surely it does give you some kind of bag to begin with, no? So you have a bag, and the bag fills up, and you need to travel to sell that stuff. That takes time, but time = money. You either don't buy the bag and use your time, or you buy the bag and use money. Unless it's some handbag + 5 weapon damage type of thing, it doesn't give anyone any advantages over other players in PvE or PvP, so I don't get why it's causing such an uproar.

Apologies for OT'ing a bit.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2010 1:05AM (Unverified) said

No, someone buying gold is none of my business. It is Blizzard's business, and they've shown they have no tolerance for that...but it's nothing to me what people spend their money on.

Not something I'd waste my money on - buy gold, get your account banned - colossal waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own.

I do reserve the right to laugh at someone when they've been banned for buying gold, however. You are, of course, more than free to laugh at me for buying the star pony. :)

Posted: Apr 26th 2010 9:09AM (Unverified) said

I remember commenting on the LFG channel when it was still the world-wide spam channel that Blizzard will soon start selling items for real world cash. Everyone around me said they'll quit the game if they do that........

If it's an item that makes you own so much in PvP micro-transaction is a bad thing.
But if it's a shiny little pony that looks pretty, micro-transaction is ok!!
I don't "hate" micro-transaction, I think it's ok, but I liked it when you actually had to grind for your little shiny pointless things, rather than buying a trading card off ebay or the new store.....
Bah who do i care, i quieted that game years ago XD

Posted: May 2nd 2010 9:40PM (Unverified) said

one thing to say. blizz does tolerate ppl buying gold. ive bought over 300,000 gold, never had my acct hacked, never had any adverse thing happen. i know several ppl who have done the same.
i know ill get bashed for buying gold, but o well, its my money. and time is money so the hours i work in real life help me to enjoy my game.
im glad blizz doesnt sell the gold themselves, cause it would be completely different.
o yea, btw, the part in the tos that says u cant buy gold does not exist in the us version of wow tos. it does in the european tos tho.

this is clearly ommited on purpose.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM