Posted: Apr 15th 2010 10:08PM Mr Angry said

I've always considered this s bit of a joke since we had someone join our guild and tell us he was a Runescape veteran so 'he knew all about raiding'

That said, I didn't realize that this game had grown at such a fast pace, so I might actually give it a second look.

Jagex, iPad/iPhone client, you'll double those numbers overnight, pesky flash!

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 12:52AM (Unverified) said

runescape was my first mmo, i remember spending hours on it after school. it was always exciting to play and it really got me into the whole mmorpg genre. i'm glad to see runescape doing well even though i don't go on it anymore.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 1:04AM whateveryousay said

That's impressive when you consider that it's one of the ugliest games to look at. That says nothing about the gameplay of course, but one of the biggest complaints I hear about mmo games is graphics. If they aren't stunning people will bitch left and right about how fail it is based on how it looks. Guess looks aren't everything when you are talking over 27 million in profit.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 1:10AM Necromas said

Ya the graphics are just horrible, the concept art in this articles picture is 100x better than the in-game graphics will ever be in that game.

I played it for a long time when I was younger and I have to say the gameplay is pretty shallow too though so it's not just ugly.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 3:04AM Greeen said

At least they upgraded the graphics from the original, although I think since it is low quality, I just as well would prefer the original wannabe-Ultima style.
But anyway, I had a brief look at the game, and must say, I am pretty impressed actually. If I weren't so busy with other games, I might play this for a while.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 4:57AM kasapina said

I also started my mmo "career" with runescape, as did several of my friends, and all of us love it (even though we don't play it as much these days, focusing on other mmos). I have found that it is very hard to actually convince another mmo gamer to try it, since they look at trailers and complain about the graphics. Actually, I have yet to manage to convince anyone who has played another mmo with better graphics to give it a chance, yet everyone I know who has tried it either loves it or at least likes it.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 7:55AM (Unverified) said

Nice to see someone other than blizzard thriving.
Never played RuneScape before, but kudos to them.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 8:29AM ed511df3 said

For as many complaints about how Runescape sucks, it's trash, whatever else people have thrown at it, it has been the very model of how a F2P made by an indie company can be very successful. It also shows that graphics are not everything, and that when you make a game that can literally be played on a 10 year old system, it will attract customers.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 8:41AM (Unverified) said

While Runescape isn't my cup of tea I'm really glad to hear that they're doing so well. It's nice when a different model works despite grumblings about how there's no way a free-to-play model could work in the face of the WoW juggernaut.

Runescape. DDO. Etc. Have shown that there is plenty of room out there for different games and models.

Congrats again to them.