Posted: Apr 13th 2010 1:45PM (Unverified) said

This was a very climactic event for Mythic. My brother and I play this game and I personally pay for both accounts. When this issue occurred I was charged 18 times.

Regardless of the issue, I still like WAR. I still plan on paying for WAR (albeit a game card will be my safety net against future situations like this), and the only thing that would really push me away from the game fully would be everyone else leaving. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. I've met many players on Badlands and Ironrock who still plan on continuing their subs and new players who luckily joined right after the incident.

So, those of you who are afraid that the game is going to die and are cautious about trying it out (or even paying for it). I suggest to stick with the free trial (if you aren't already) until this issue if fully ratified. Don't give up on WAR yet.

p.s. - I still haven't received the refund for the remaining overdraft fees I have acquired.

- S5

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 1:56PM (Unverified) said

I haven't subscribed to either DAoC or WAR in the past couple of months but I wasn't charged.

If it was myself though I'd be talking both to Mythic EA and to my respective credit card company. Hopefully with pressure from credit card companies will increase the speed of their refunds and possible reverse some of the fees acquired from these numerous charges.

This seems like just another straw on the camels back. I always find it sad to see an MMO die so I hope this isn't the straw that breaks WAR.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 1:59PM karnisov said

well i hope SW:TOR uses a different credit card processor.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 2:13PM Valdur said

I'm really sorry for those affected by the unprofessionalism/incompetence from Mythic.

This is a serious issue even if some are trying to make us believe that it had no impact on WAR and players are still happy in Wonderland and I'm sure one day or another they will see how deep the rabbithole goes.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 2:40PM (Unverified) said

In the game, there hasn't been a noticeable effect on population. The only effect has been a bit more Mythic bashing in the /advice channel. The majority of players weren't hit at all and many of those who were hit aren't threatening to leave. I'm sure there will be a substantial number of people leaving, but I find it doubtful that we'll see any mass exodus of players.

And, since this has happened twice, I bet the Mythic billing system will be the most secure around in the future. Getting burned by a vendor once is a chance occurrence. Twice is something different and I imagine whatever vendor made the error is facing down EA's lawyers.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 4:50PM Joshua Przygocki said

...Good bye WAR, I knew thee well...

I loved WAR but I had to stop playing it for various reasons.

And aside from barely coasting along population-wise, all it's bugs and problems were driving even more people away...

It's going to be hard for WAR to survive more than a year longer.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 5:18PM Deadalon said

This billing issue is just one of many that show total lack of professionalism of the WAR team. The game is one of the least polished games on the market today and every patch we see hundreds - if not thousands of issues that pile up into a game that simply can not be enjoyed.

I think Im just 1 of many that asked myself this question about WAR. Why am I paying for this ? And the answer was simple. Im not. I still jump in to T1 PVP few times per week when I have extra time. The game itself is simply not worth a sub... not to mention 16 times over !

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 6:59PM (Unverified) said

Death knell. This has apparently happened before, though I wasn't effect the first time. I got hit the second time, and so did my girlfriend. Mythic has said "sorry for the inconvenience" and that's it. Nothing has been done to restore our faith, or to even make a bunch of riled up customers happy. When you're talking about hundreds of dollars gone missing and tied up for a few days, a simple sorry doesn't make me want to keep playing.

It was a mistake, I get it. But they handled it inhumanly. They make no effort to redeem themselves. For a game that -needs- a healthy population to function, that's already down to four servers, two of which are only reliably active, Mythic may have sunk their own ship on this one.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 9:14PM (Unverified) said

I played WAR at launch and used a 60 day time card, let that expire, and used a Wal-Mart 30 day time card a few months later. (Thank the Powers That Be) This financial catastrophe doesn't surprise me much given Mythic's general lack of quality control in WAR. .. And this is why I only have a DEBIT card and not a VISA check card, and only use credit cards online. WAR has a lot of potential but Mythic has not done a very good job running it.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 11:57PM (Unverified) said

I just checked my statement and the 10 extra charges Mythic billed me for were reversed today. In fact, they refunded about AUD$1.10 extra per charge (which was about AUD$16, for a one month subscription) -- not sure if that was due to changes in exchange rates or what.

I'm still going to quit, though. The problem really just pointed out to me that I'm not playing or enjoying the game enough to warrant one $16 charge per month, let alone 11.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 8:44AM tenfootgoatman said

I feel sorry for the developers who worked on this game only to see something like this happen . Did this only happen on the North American servers or the European ones as well ? I realise the problem is to do with the billing company but in most players minds the buck stops with Mythic and its hard to see how the game can recover from something like this . Out of interest do they offer a one month payment offer rather than a re-occuring monthly subscription ? If so did these people get charged multiple times ? I think theres really only one real solution to keep this game alive now and thats to look at games like DDO which offer a hybrid sub and cash shop / free to play model . Its either that now or watch it limp on and close its doors forever .

Posted: Apr 20th 2010 6:13PM (Unverified) said

Whether or not this is Mythics fault, who do you blame when thousands of dollars are ripped from your account. I was told that they would get me a refund, but now their refund is not even going to be enough because I have inccured more late fee charges while waiting on it. I did all the things that I could do and filed with the police department were I live, but they could not do it as credit card fraud because I gave them my information for the one payment and my bank hesitated to close my bank account because it was a negative balance and to top it all off I paid with my paypal debit card and not a credit card and so now they are charging me threw paypal as well for the debt to be collected and so this is just not a little inconvience for me because I have had to stop everything that runs through that account and even caused me to have to look into getting my car insurance somewhere else. The sad part about this is it is not even me that is playing the game it was done through my credit card for my brother and so I do not want anything to do with the game in free items, I just want my money back and to get everything to go back to the way it was before this all happened.