Posted: Apr 14th 2010 1:07AM NeverDeath said

What does the Allods team DO!? You must be joking. They FAIL of course!

That game had a decent amount of promise since from a technical standpoint, it was quite proficient - but they made sure to torpedo the hell out of that by implementing some of the worst gameplay choices I've ever seen.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 1:21AM (Unverified) said

Interesting that you phrased it that way. This was exactly my opinion of the game as well.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 3:36AM Seffrid said

It really is staggering how instantly and totally a highly rated and imminent new MMO can disappear off the radar.

This game must (I hope) have been a salutary warning to all developers in the F2P market - especially those newly entering it - and it's going to be very interesting indeed to see how it fares.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 6:57AM (Unverified) said

It's like the developers had a meeting and decided the most elegant ways to torpedo their own product.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 7:16AM Pingles said

It's actually a very good game.

And certainly worth the price to try. In fact, it has convinced me to play only free-to-play games.

I currently don't subscribe to any monthly-fee games. In three months I've paid a total of eight dollars playing several MMOs.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 7:28AM Kalec said

Hmmm, I've only played Allods till lvl 20 because of RL issues .... I must admit though that I have no idea what the first three posters are referring too. Could you give me a few examples ?

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 11:15AM (Unverified) said

It's tough to elaborate in a short comment. I'd say there were two early factors to my giving up on Allods.

1) It often felt that the answer to any game problem, whether design issue or bug, was a trip to the cash shop. Perfume quest broke? Bag quest drop rate infeasible? Attributes or talents turned out different than you expected? Buy from the shop! It felt like I was paying for developers' mistakes rather than supporting a game through positive means.

2) The game has appeared stuck in limbo because of the complaints about the RU version. I see that they've finally announced (but not implemented) a "major update" that fixes some trivial stuff. A command to reply to whispers, and splitting item stacks... these kinds of things should have been done in the first week or two, not two months. Did they ever implement a right-click ignore, or was the it assumed unnecessary with the new spam filter?

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 12:31PM Pingles said

I am pretty sure that their financial contributors want to know how they're gonna make their money back. It is definitely unfortunate that they didn't have a clearer method from the beginning about how they'd pay back their development costs but I am confident that they don't want to ruin the game by making unreasonable demands on the players for payments.

This will all work out. In the meantime I will be playing. If things get too costly I have no problem quitting.

Hard to complain about the "time" I've invested in the game when I invested several years and hundreds of dollars into WoW and had no problem quitting that.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 2:22PM UnknownUser said

This is actually a reply to Jaam, but it seems you can't reply to a reply here. No, they haven't introduced a right click ignore...it sure would be nice though. The new spam filter seems to be pretty weak. They've changed the algorithm and still the spammers get through while, depending on the composition of a message, a real post may not go through.

That said, I've gotten a lot of fun out of Allods and so far haven't invested a penny. All of my higher level characters have bags (without doing the asinine bag/bank quests). I've resigned myself to buying a couple of respecs down the line, but don't resent it. They need to pay for the game somehow.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 7:43AM Snichy said

I have played Allods quite a bit from OB and have enjoyed it to a point. The trouble is I have heard that endgame is ruined by Fear of Death which sort of puts me off playing.

I like to know that my hours of play dedicated to a game will pay off with plenty of content and end game etc but knowing that FoD will require a large financial outlay just to stay competitve and the knowledge of certain poor design decisions in later levels has kind of ruined it for me so I dont play any more.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 9:26AM Pingles said

Fear of Death was never implemented and has been cancelled.

One thing about these developers: for all of the crazy ideas they have had they listened and changed things when the community made a stink.

Posted: Apr 14th 2010 9:28AM Snichy said

Oh right ok, I might give it another go then. I havent really kept up to date with it since I left but if things are improving I might go back. I get the impression though from other comments that the community is still not happy about the later levels/end game.