Posted: Apr 12th 2010 3:20PM Ocho said

Is this similar to the Facebook applications methods of "product offers" as well with signing up for credit cards or insurance quotes? Wasn't there an article not long ago on here (and I agree) about how this method of making money is very underhanded and morally questionable? I don't know what Turbine is thinking in all of this... I would expect this from much more disreputable companies as it shows they don't have respect for their player base.

So if thats what these "offers" are, shame on you Turbine.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 10:18PM whateveryousay said

Well it's not like you actually have to do the offers if you don't want to. But let's be honest here, companies, corporations, and individuals alike will always be looking for more ways to make money, it's just a part of life. If you haven't learned that by now then you haven't learned anything.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 3:21PM (Unverified) said

Works for me, it's just another option. I bought a permanent horse in Runes of Magic by filling out random surveys over a week's time.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 4:53PM (Unverified) said

I just got 56 points for filling out one of the surveys.. quite painless. Turbine emailed me and told me they were credited to my account.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 3:26PM Ocho said

Is this anything like some Facebook application's "offer" methods? Like insurance quotes, signing up for credit cards, etc.? Wasn't there an article on here not to long ago that explained how (and I agree with) this method is very underhanded and morally questionable?

If it is, this shows that Turbine doesn't have a ton of respect for its playerbase, if its willing to accept money earned from scams... If this is true, shame on you Turbine.

You won't see me falling for any suspect offers, and I'll still play the titles. It isn't a dealbreaker, but it doesn't show a ton of faith in their business practices...

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 10:56AM (Unverified) said

Exactly, your account can be compromised...your information sold. It's the sewer of the internet...

..this is a mistake

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 3:27PM Ocho said

Bah! Sorry folks... I didn't think it posted the first time... but the gist is the same...

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 4:34PM VioletArrows said

Yeah, I just looked at a lot of these offers.

Survey panels you'll never qualify for, various types of home and car insurance (NO.), credit card apps (NO NO NO NO NO!!), and the infamous media clubs (books, cds, dvds, etc) you'll have to sacrifice two goats, a virgin, three chickens, and a closed bank account to escape from. The notes on them say if you try to skate around them spamming the shit out of your mailbox by entering fake info, you'll be banned from using the point wall at all (not that this is a bad thing with a 30%apr credit card app and an endless deluge of crappy overpriced insurance spam :p )

I think I'll take the old fashioned favor way, thanks.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 4:40PM (Unverified) said

This is by far the most underhanded thing I've ever seen. Could Turbine think of no better way to show appreciation to their fan base then to offer Credit Cards and malware out to their players? I'm not sure what portion of their fan base is kids, but I can see them imputting their real information into these scams with only bad results. Turbine has lost my respect and game time with this one. I like for my games to respect their players.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 4:44PM JoeH42 said

I think it's worth a try. If I were Turbine I would take a very cautious approach, but if it pays off this might be something we'll see in a lot more games that rely on micro-transactions. Obviously it's worked for many of the FB games. I think it'll be a good way for people with lots of time on their hands (but limited income) to get a few additional perks or packs for DDO. As for Mike's comments about the underhanded nature of these things... I've never heard too many complaints about that sort of thing but it's probably a good idea for players to be careful what they involved themselves with. While Turbine should be careful about who and what they associate themselves with, in the end it's up to the player to exercise some judgement on what 'deals' they respond to.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 5:35PM (Unverified) said

Hey Turbine - can you think of an easy way I can sign up for SPAM and identity theft? Thanks!

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 6:24PM MewmewGrrl said

I tried and tried and tried to do surveys, but I kept coming up ineligible and I wasted half a day putting in my info on all these various places to see if I was eligible for any surveys.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 10:23PM whateveryousay said

That's always been my problem too. The fact is those surveys are looking for young, rich, successful peoples opinions, not ours. It's a catch 22. The people most likely to need to do these surveys for the extra points are also the last group of people they want to hear anything from.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 3:30AM HackJack said

• 1 heart
Stupid people are stupid. This is just another option. Don't like it? Don't use it! It's not hard :|

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 8:56AM (Unverified) said

Its not about "don't like it, don't use it." Its about their privacy policy (superrewards and adknowledge) stating clearly that they WILL pass on your information to other people and they WILL install tracking cookies and ways to monitor your surfing habits to gain even more information.

Many people do not read the small text.

My computer automatically blocks the Offer Wall, thats Spybot and Firefox doing their jobs.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 1:19PM Mellifera said

I feel really stupid now. The last time I left a comment on this site it was saying something to the effect that most F2P games found a way to dump a bunch of malware on your system as a source revenue, but Turbine was going a different route. Then this crap. Apparantly even going to the offer wall, not even signing up for anything just LOOKING, exposes you to attack. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=242978

Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 2:11PM (Unverified) said

even when just looking at the offerwall without clicking and accepting anything, turbine already gives your email and accountname to the superrewards site over an unsecure channel.
also some kind of malware gets installed just for looking at the wall

so much for "dont like it, dont use it"

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 2:29PM (Unverified) said

I just want to warn everyone that testing in this new offer wall section has been done and that just by being signed into your ddo account and viewing the offer wall turbine sends your email and account login to super rewards unecrypteded. ;)