Posted: Apr 12th 2010 11:38PM cray said

Interesting video, but it felt like a Public Relations film for GamersFirst investors.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 12:04AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Yeah I agree that it seemed to advertise certain games/publishers and not even say anything about more successful games.

It also (IMHO) put too much emphasis on F2P MMOs being the future. I personally will ALWAYS prefer a P2P MMO because I rather earn everything (even if it is a item only for show) and I also feel that there are less people cheating and scamming when you could potentially lose money not just make 1000 accounts. The many accounts also opens more spamming and rude/immature players, I would much rather even pay more than $15 a month for a game that is more strict when it comes to immature kids (and adults).

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 2:45AM (Unverified) said

"Did you know:
1) There's 180 MMO players worldwide."

That's it?

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 8:17AM Ayenn said

That is actually quite a healthy number, and it is increasing. The genera is really only 15 years old, roughly. 15 years ago there were what, 12 people playing MMORPGs?

It also requires comparatively pricey equipment and services to even partake in. When you talk about MMORPG player population you are also talking about "the digital divide" and "digital literacy" indirectly.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 1:58PM (Unverified) said

That's a big number considering how long we have had MMO's. When I first went to college, having dial-up at home was the only choice. That was only 15 years ago. The growth rate is huge. MMO's are the ".com" of this generation when you look at the market as a whole.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 3:12AM Valdur said

I agree with the above posters,looks too much emphasis on Freemium and GamersFirst.I doubt that this is the future of MMO.I would rather choose a P2P over a freemium MMO.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 3:24AM cray said

You're making poor assumptions about F2P games. There's only so many email accounts a person can have in order to use for a game. Secondly no amount subscription eliminates rude and immature players, just ask any gamer who's paid the price.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 10:25AM (Unverified) said

One Gmail account and I can put random placements of '.'s and make many accounts for nearly every F2P that runs in N.A.. I know that paying doesn't get rid of immaturity and it said in my original comment. I clearly say "more" immaturity and frowned upon activities which will always be the case unfortunately.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 2:05PM (Unverified) said

It does come off like an ad for the Free2Play world. At the same time, when its all said and done it does come down to money. Its always nice to think that a game's only concern is to please it's players. In reality it is a balancing act of pleasing people just enough to keep buying/playing or w/e your model is. There is always a bottom line to meet.

This is such a new industry that I expect to see many different types models trying to capitalize on how to make big money with the least amount of investment.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 10:51PM (Unverified) said

You do realize that that says one hundred and eighty players, and not one hundred and eighty million players right?

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM