Posted: Apr 12th 2010 5:24PM AlamoeJones said

I'm not a huge fan of these pieces about games that will never be. Obviously, the Halo MMO would have been a huge deal, so this is somewhat relevant. However, I'm more about possibility and games that have a good chance of existing or are in the works. Speculation is AWESOME!

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 5:37PM (Unverified) said

guess there's not much going on today.
From here down the front page is all FTP garbage.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 5:50PM (Unverified) said

I think it was probably a good call for Microsoft to have shut down this mmo. Halo became popular because it was a solid console FPS that was easy to jump into and fun to play.

This looks like it would have been a completely different ballgame. Just because you can make a mmo out of a popular IP it doesn’t mean that you should.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 6:18PM MewmewGrrl said

I would have liked to have seen it. Microsoft seems to have a history of cancelling MMO's that are being developed.

The reason that it was cancelled - to me it's absolutely horrid:

"They were looking really hard at the Nintendo Wii and they were really excited by the numbers that the Wii was turning. This was about the time that Microsoft decided that its Xbox platform and XBLA really needed to go more in the direction of appealing to a more casual, broader audience."

They wanted to emulate the Wii more, and that's why it was cancelled? That gives me a horrible pit in my stomach. I am a casual player myself, but I love MMOs and I do NOT like the Wii. It has a few games that are brilliant (which are really the old stand by Nintendo titles that could have been made on any system) and then the rest of it is gimmicky crap (which everybody wants to copy now with their own motion sensitive controllers). So this MMO that could have been is cancelled because they want to go more in the direction of the Wii? Ouch, my head and stomach hurt at the same time :(

I was a fan of Tabula Rasa and so I'm guessing I'd have liked this one. Some things they did wrong, but a lot of things were really cool and nobody else has done them. You'd fight with others to take over bases from the enemy NPC faction and if you won it it would open up new quests for you and NPCs there, eventually the NPC enemies would come and attack you and try to take it back. I thought that system was really cool and had a lot of fun with it. It was like huge scale PvP type things only against the computer controlled guys instead. There was other stuff they did very wrong of course, but some of the systems were great.

They seemed to have some good ideas for the Halo MMO, tho it's easy to talk up an MMO that never got released (it therefore never got to fail our expectations and gets to become a legend in our own minds).

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 6:41PM (Unverified) said

God Almighty, I remember how disheartend I was to learn that not only had the Halo Movie been scraped, but the MMO as well. All thanks to, as it was put in the article, a "Changing of the Guard," at Microsoft. When the first stills of The Old Republic started ciculating, I remember thinking at the time, "Wow, this really looks like what they had been doing with Halo Online," but figured it was just a small thing. I was surprised to learn in the interview that how TOR looks, with it's Heoric style graphics, is what Halo Online would have resembled. Given how awesome such classes as the Republic Trooper are looking, I'd say the Spartan Armor would have looked Epic.

(Sigh) It's too bad we won't see this MMO anytime soon. Thankfully, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the license will be handed to another company, or that 343 (the new Halo franchise company) will turn the production lights back on for this project if the next few Halo games do as well as the first three. I have my fingers crossed. In the meantime, at least I know TOR shares a great deal with this Epic title that never was.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 11:50PM RainbowThunder said

"Even though a lot of people talk about how you just can't build a WoW killer, I absolutely believe that we could have built an MMO, if Microsoft had maintained their commitment, that if it hadn't been a WoW killer it certainly would've competed."

Cool story, bro.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 3:59AM Critical Mass said

What is Halo?

Something similar to Mass Effect on Xbox?

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 1:36PM (Unverified) said

I respect the Ensemble name but I think the Halo mmo would have failed for the following reasons:

-Halo wouldn't work as a RPG. If you remove the ability to aim, it's no longer Halo. It didn't matter in Halo Wars because you're controlling an army not a single man. If you create a Halo game where the player is controlling a single character, the gameplay should be similar to that of previous Halo games. Otherwise you're banking on the game's reputation without trying to make a game that lives up to the reputation (think of all those horrible Fallout games between 2 and 3). A mmo-fps like MAG would be the closest thing imo.

-Ensemble wanted to take a stylized approach. Dusty Monk said that Ensemble wanted to make the characters be stylized like those of the SW Old Republic MMO. The character models shown on the Old Republic site are extremely cartoony and it's the opposite of Halo's existing character stylization. If you depart from what makes an IP successful instead of building on it, your game will have dismal sales.

-Everyone will be a freakin' Spartan. It would have replayed SWG's Jedi fiasco where Sony decided to allow everyone to become a Jedi and there were suddenly Jedi running around everywhere even though most of the Jedi were dead during the game's time period. The game ceased to be much fun after that. Similarly, there would be armies of Spartans running around in a Halo MMO.

-Empty enemy faction. In my short stint of playing Halo 3 multiplayer, I never saw a single player play the Elites. Unless managed really well, the Elite faction would experience the same faction problems of STO and WAR.

I enjoy Halo for what it is and I enjoy playing MMOs as well but I just don't think it'd work really well. Some titles are just not meant to be MMOs.

WRUP: WildStar's sadface