Posted: Apr 11th 2010 12:29PM (Unverified) said

I just jumped back into AoC myself and had the same internal debate with similar results. After leveling up a Herald and a demonologist to about 30 on Wiccanna I got s couple of my friends back into the game and we started a group on Cimmeria where traveling in groups is always recommended and rewarding.

I've been really happy with the changes I've seen since coming back from my almost two year departure in AoC and it seems a lot of people have been coming back to this remarkably engrossing game.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 1:12PM PVinny said

I have been debating on coming back for about a month now. This article just made me resub. Thank you for this.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 1:13PM Rocky said

• Half a heart
"I am barely out of Tortage at this point..."

"...and you have a recipe for what is likely to be many months of entertainment."

Don't feel bad. I'm pretty sure everyone has made this mistake at least once.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 1:19PM Jef Reahard said

Not sure if that was sarcasm or attempted humor, but either way you missed where I said I also leveled to 70 early on, so I'm well aware of what life is like outside of Tortage.

The point is that a change in my play style, plus the additions and fixes, equals a better experience.

Thanks for playing though.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 1:41PM Rocky said

• Half a heart
It was more a "Let us know when you've gotten out of the part everyone knows is good." If we had a dollar for every Conan article that raves about the Tortage experience, there certainly wouldn't be any economy problems. If you didn't notice the game sucked until you had spent a month at level 70 "rarely experiencing much outside of monotonous mob grinding and guild drama," I'm not sure you really did notice how much the game dropped off at 20.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 2:03PM Jef Reahard said

Well, a column that, from the beginning, has been geared towards eyeballing AoC in its entirety as I move through it from newb levels to endgame will necessarily spend some time talking about Tortage.

If you couldn't deduce that this particular edition was going to be about newb stuff within the first couple of paragraphs, there's not much I can do to help you.

/salute

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 6:53PM EngadgetSoFunny said

• 1 heart
He's got a point though. Your advertising how great the start of the game is. Yes, the start of the game is excellent and it's awesome ot hear that you rolled several low level characters in the funniest part of the AoC world/universe/etc.

However, I think what people would want to know is what the end-game is like since almost anyone whose subbed for 1-2 months when AoC first came out has a lvl 50-60+ character and is debating wehther to resubscribe would probably want to play that lvl 50-60+ character.

If people only wanted to create up to level 20 characters, AoC would have been a great success as the 1 to 20 experience is wonderful. In reality, a lot of mmorpg players like end-game and are still disappointed by the bad taste left in their mouth about everything past level 20.

Great graphics? Well that was there before. Great starting area? Well that was there before. So what new information have you given returning players considering AoC for a second, third or in my case fourth bout when the first 1-3 were pretty disappointing? Nothing really.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 7:16PM Jef Reahard said

@Wes:

He's got a point from the point of view of a veteran player, I concede that. However, this column doesn't cater exclusively to been there/done it all vets. On the contrary, by setting it up as a chronicle of one person's journey through the entire game, the first few entries will necessarily be about the game's early levels and would hopefully inform people who may not have tried the game at all.

When I get to the 50s, expect to hear my impressions of the 50s. Likewise when I start raiding at endgame, expect to hear about that. Honestly, it's not rocket science.

I guess veteran players think the world revolves around them. That's ok, but all the bellyaching to the tune of 'we already know that' is kind of amusing at this point. My goal in writing this column isn't to convince people to re-sub or to entertain bored level 80 vets, it's to paint a picture of the full game over the long haul.

Check back in a couple months if you want to hear about raids, or first hand experience with Godslayer, or whatever. Or better yet, write your own column from the perspective of a vet. This isn't that column, yet.

Anyhow, to summarize before bowing out, yes, the column is about newbs and newb-related material, because right now I'm a newb. Isn't it crazy how that works?

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 2:15PM JediPagan said

Cimmerian Ranger FTW!

Age of Conan undeniably has the best animations in the genre. One of the most breathtaking to me is to watch my Cimmerian Ranger attack from Stealth with her bow. I get an adrenaline rush every time she does it.

Her enemies never knew what him'em.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 2:18PM Rocky said

• Half a heart
Just a little disclaimer would have been nice. I'm sure you're having a blast. I don't dispute that the first 20 or so levels in Conan are among the best in the business. However, something like, 'It's been great so far, but Tortage has always been great' would have been nice.

What we're able to gather is you didn't read any quests or stop to enjoy the game the first time through. Now that you are, you're finding stuff that's always been there. Quests have text and lore, PvP happens on the PvP server, it's easier to level on the PvE server and there's music!

What I'd like to see is you elaborate on how 'Age of Conan has become a very deep game, with lots to do aside from sticking the pointy end into the other man.' So far you've given us nothing to go on other than happy stories about how you've discovered stuff that was always there. I'd love to read about how the newb experience is better. I really would. I'd love to read about the new additions to the game that make it so much better now.

For all you rave about how much better and deeper it is now, there's not one word about what that is. Give us an article with substance next time. Fill us in on what's been going on in the Age of Conan while we've been away. Don't feed us a story that could have been copied from release about how awesome Tortage is.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 2:49PM Jef Reahard said

/sigh

Ok, three tries is my limit, so here's the last one.

The disclaimer is self-evident, by virtue of the fact that it's an opinion column and advertised as such. You're pretty adept at pulling quotes from various pieces of the article and using them to support your contentions, but (so far) you lack the ability to see the whole piece for what it is: a very early impression on my return to the game, and an early part of a larger series of articles.

This is an ongoing column, not a one-shot review of the changes to the game from release until the present day. If you stick around long enough, you'll get my impressions on why I feel it's better now than the last time I played it (or you may get that I think it sucks, whatever turns out to be the case in the long run). If you expect to see an exhaustive analysis on why I like the game, particularly when I've been back for about two weeks, well, lol?

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 3:01PM Pingles said

"Read about Cimmeria versus Wiccana after the cut, and don't forget to tell me what I'm doing wrong in the comments."

You're getting into a flame-war with a commenter. :)

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 2:57PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
How about you just let the article stand on its own merits instead of nerd raging against the criticism in the comments section?

Then you probably wouldn't be so fun to troll.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 3:05PM Jef Reahard said

Because more comments are good? Duh. And because I'm bored today. Criticize all you want, again, careful readers will know that I invite it.

/salute

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 3:16PM (Unverified) said

Trolling is not something that deserves status. If someone is standing up against stupidity and/or lack of reading comprehension, then that is not nerdraging.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 3:22PM eyeball2452 said

• 1 heart
I agree with Rocky. The game at launch was really fun and well done during the early levels. The game began to fall apart around 24, so I also don't understand why a column was written about the beginning experience again. The beginning areas weren't the problem and I don't understand how you could recommend the revamped version of the game based on the 1-30 game play and content.

The problem for launch players was always the 30-40+ class imbalances, poor zone design and lack of content. I would add heavy instancing, constant ganking in towns when you were just trying to pick up quests and a poor/non-existent travel system to my list of grievances. Those topics are really what someone at this point in the game's life cycle should be discussing.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 3:53PM ZoneOuT said

shoulda created a barb instead there crazy fun when I played and do well in pvp.. havnt played in like a year though so /shrug lol

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 6:31PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
How much are Funcom paying the OP for playing and "reporting" ?

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 11:33PM (Unverified) said

Wow, surprising you're commenting on this....

Cheese with it?

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 6:44PM (Unverified) said

I just started playing AoC about three weeks ago, and eagerly selected Tyrany as my server because it was the only one available that was labeled as 100% PvP. That server's immature community prompted me to quickly reroll.

Well, I figure that I might have better luck on Cimmeria, but it's still too early to know for sure. I would like to RP as well as PvP, but it appears that the server's RP community has been thrown in a dark corner.