Posted: Apr 10th 2010 8:17PM Wisdomandlore said

My problem with FFXI (my first MMO and a game I loved for over a year) was that at it's core it was a very, very good EQ1 clone. It had a world, a personality, and a level of depth that far exceeds most MMOs these days. On the other hand it was scarred by a terrible developer/player relationship and one of the most brutal grinds ever created. It also wasn't terribly original, especially in the combat department.

My fear is that FFXIV will copy WoW in the same way that FFXI copied EQ. On the other hand I fear that the new game won't be changed enough, and will still be have a horrible grind with boring combat.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 6:31PM Yoh said

.....Mmmmmm, I'm not even slightly concerned about that.

True, FFXI was a EQ1 clone, but the industry in which that happened is a completely different beast.

Back then, there weren't too many developers that would, or even could clone EQ1. So it was worth trying. And I think it worked, for the most part.

But today, there are so many developers, you don't think anyone has already tried to clone WoW and failed miserably?
As you know, there are droves of WoW clones, and we also know, that it doesn't work. So how come you think Square Enix doesn't know what is so obvious to the rest of us?

They know, and their not.
From everything I've seen, they look to be ahead of the curve if anything.
I'm more concerned with actual mechanics, and levels of grind.

I just hope they got the memo that grind isn't hip anymore.

~Yoh

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 8:36PM Laephis said

"The developers will still be silent."

To this I say "good". After seeing countless high-profile MMO superstar devs give us PR spin, I'd rather the FFXIV devs stick to working on the game. Also, if the game is designed well to use the PS3 controller, I kinda like the idea of playing an MMO on my couch in front of a 50" screen. FFXI worked pretty well with a controller, hopefully they've improved on that.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 3:25AM Dranaerys said

I second this, to a certain extent. I also forward the motion of killing PTR servers - in WoW, to cite the biggest examples, you have played almsot all the bosses, seen the figths on countless youtube vids before the patch even goes live. IT kills the magic ad mystery of a new bossfight when everyone gets to whack the pinata in PTR.

Also, Im not sure complete silence is the solution, but going at it the Bliz way where they have blues responding and argumenting every tiny tweak and decision they make, is not the way. If I were Squeenix Id just hire a guy who compiles sugggestions from the forum and forwards them to the team. "Thankyou for your feedback, this sounds intersting/you make a good point, Ill pass it on to the team" is all I need. No 5 page dissertations on why crit for my class was reduced by 2% or why this skill now hits twice as hard.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 9:00PM (Unverified) said

The devs have actually been listening to the player base for at least the last 2 years. Seeing the updates they've been making to FFXI finally, it's easy to see that he will respond rapidly this time.

I don't mind FFXIV's world starting smaller. FFXI as it is right now is too goddamn big and yet you will still find Dragon's Aery with 300 people.

Touching on that, the devs will learn not to immediately make gear that can never be replaced or blows the competition in the water.

I really don't mind a console version this time because previously, FFXI was developed on PS2 technology and was always limited by the PS2's capabilities. This time it will be limited to the PS3's capabilities, which no one seems to have discovered yet.

Flying blind will kick ass. I hated every quest already been figured out by the Japanese and seeing people with the first relic weapons only a month after I started playing.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 9:26PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Most of the things you listed are actually good things or just speculation.

Nothing to see here.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 9:38PM (Unverified) said

The game not changing enough is pretty scary. If it weren't for the fact that there's no auto-attack, it'd be attack something and go make a sammich time all over again. As long as the combat isn't godawful slow and the endgame is nothing like FFXI (no world HNMs) or WoW (no more soon-to-be-replaced epic ratrace), it should be ok gameplay wise.

A bigger concern is the return of Japan first. I'm surprised nobody has brought up that all the information we have on FFXIV are magazine translations. Why isn't SE reaching out to their English speaking fans at all? Yeah, there was that one magazine who's name I can't even remember, but you'd think they would get in touch with one of the bigger MMO/game portals like Massively or IGN.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 9:43PM (Unverified) said

Actually you cant just plug in your PS3 controller to your PC and have it magically work. I was met by a great deal of disappointment when I learned this. I do effectively have it running on my machine now but it took a lot of work and hassle installing unlicensed drivers to now have what is effectively a PS3 controller tricking my computer into thinking its an Xbox 360 controller.

Thats the software I use to get the controller working on PC. Ya officially its a Xbox 360 controller emulator.

Apparently its too much to ask that sony actually release drivers for their controller.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:25PM Nerz said

there is a much easier way to get your controller to work and register as a ps3 controller. i use it. its libusb-32 or something. search for it with sixaxis and it works fine. turns on with pc with the ps button.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 9:51PM TrendyGuy said

I agree with the previous poster on not minding a console version of the game. First the PS3 is basically a computer, maybe it is not as upgradeable but it should be able to handle the game. 2nd, FFXI takes hours upon hours of play time when you start getting into the higher levels. Sometimes when you found a party you had to stick with them for a long period of time because it was hard to find a good group of players and that was the only way to achieve anything in that game. It would be nice to not be restricted to my computer all the time and be able to lay down on the couch and play for a period of time. My primary version would be PC but switching to the PS3 would be nice sometimes.

There were always two things that really bugged me in FFXI and I don't think everyone will agree with me on it. First, I hope they do away with zones. MMOs need to start moving more towards virtual worlds to embed the player in the world more. FFXI handled zones better that many other games but I would still love to see a seamless world. Games that still incorporate instances and zones are living in the past in my opinion. Current MMOs should have the tech now to be able to sustain a seamless world and there isn't a reason for zones.

The next was the instanced Mog apartments/houses. I liked the way they worked and added to the gameplay and gave players something else to do in the game. But hated how they were instanced. You should be able to place your house in the game world so you can meet up with people, have friends over, etc. etc.

MMO games need to move forward rather than just doing a graphical overhaul, switching around a few features, and changing the name. Games that came out 5-10 years ago had more features than a lot of the games that are currently being released. Even within their first year Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and even a game like Star Wars Galaxies which had a horrible start had more features and seamless worlds to draw you in. The only game that has really tried something new and to move forward within the last few years has been Vanguard.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:04PM Rialle said

I fail to see why keyboard+mouse support can't be added to FFXIV for the PS3. It is entirely within the realm of possibility since there are one or two other games that do it.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:19PM whateveryousay said

I feel the fear, Eliot.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:54PM mattwo said

One major problem I see with FFXI, is that there is no official out of world community such as forums or chat rooms.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 11:21PM EvaliaMagic said

Biggest problems with FFXI to me are purely interface - and yet so many years after launch, all the same interface problems still stick around. It is very, very obviously a poorly ported Console game, and just about every game system is counterintuitive, such as the lack of a REAL mini-map or icons indicating which NPC can give you a quest.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 11:27PM (Unverified) said

Hmm, seems libusb-32 doesn't much care for Windows 7. There do seem to be some windows 7 alternatives that may work but might require a level of expertise above my own. (I have no idea how to go about editing inf files to register the device I want :P)

Thanks though, certainly worth looking into.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 11:29PM (Unverified) said

Bah! That was supposed to be a reply to Nerz #7. I was responding in a page that only showed the posts for that discussion so I wrongly assumed it would be posting to that discussion. My apologies.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 11:54PM (Unverified) said

I still have mixed feelings about FFXI, on one hand I remember it fondly since I met my wife, and the mother of our now 4 year old daughter while playing it. On the other I do not miss several aspects of the game at all, such as the clear split of the NA and Japanese player base, remember JP only in the lfp comments? I also do not miss how things all seemed to be a grind, even the in game marriage. When I met my wife on the game we were just friends and decided to try ingame marriage just for giggles, we had to jump through hoops to apply, and a year later we were married irl, and were expecting our first child, yet we still had not been approved for ingame marriage LOL. So while I do hope the new game does well, I am unsure if I will be playing it.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 12:16AM MewmewGrrl said

Most of what you're saying can be attributed to any new MMO coming out. Lack of end game content for those that rush, a world that starts smaller than games that have been out for years and many expansions (obviously), the whole not knowing the game system well yet and having to learn it, not knowing what the devs are learning from other MMOs. This is standard for every new game. The same things always apply pretty much.

As for the part about learning the system, people will figure out the systems so well during the beta periods that a lot of information will be known and available by the time the game is out, so we really won't have to go blind at all when working on our permanent release characters. People work hard to test it all out and post it up on information pages online for us so that it is mostly figured out by the time release is there.

And people should lower their expectations for every new game that comes along. People put nearly every game that's coming down the pipeline to a higher spot in their mind than the games are able to hold up to. Some extremely excellent games have people complaining because they couldn't stand up to the impossible standards that were built with the hype and by their own minds as the games were building up for release.

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 12:40AM Cendres said

We'll be flying completely blind

Not really plenty of leaks made it to Famitsu and there's at least 2 Square interviews talking about the state of the alpha and how things should work, this week alone...

Mewmew says: " People work hard to test it all out and post it up on information pages online for us so that it is mostly figured out by the time release is there."

Already started.. lol And yes people and their overblown expectations are they own worst enemies. :P

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 1:29AM (Unverified) said

Just because the UI will be more designed for the console does not mean it will be a bad thing. I'll be playing this on my ps3 because it will be more stable on the console, more comfortable playing on the console and the combat will be much smoother on the console.
The only advantage of being on the pc is that the graphics will look better and you get voice chat.