Posted: Apr 9th 2010 3:31PM (Unverified) said

I'm glad to read that they're taking steps to make these playstyles less attractive. I'm usually pretty understanding of min-maxers, but the way they figured-out how to abuse the hell out of FE's faction system (one that, without the loopholes such as this, would be one of the coolest faction systems in an MMO imo) really ruined the game for me.

Please don't give me any of that "what they do doesn't affect your fun" crap. My fun IS ruined when every other person I meet has gained an advantage over me for doing something that completely counter-intuitive to the way the game world should work. Metagaming is not evil, but I sure as heck lost a lot of interest when I saw the faction system being undermined so blatantly. The wheel spin/flip was not the only reason FE didn't hold onto me, but it was one of the reasons.

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 4:48PM (Unverified) said

I gotta say, this kind of system gaming, and this kind of gameable system, does not cause me to want to play Fallen Earth. I tried the free trial, and it seemed nice enough. But this sort of thing is just ridiculous. Combine this with the lack of AP respecs, and, frankly, I can't see myself paying for this.

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 5:30PM (Unverified) said

I've recently gotten back into FE after only giving it a cursory try initially and I'm extremely impressed with the depth of game play mechanics. So much so that I bought the game before my 10-day trial expired.

The faction element of this game is very unique and therefore, untried. I'm unconcerned with the current system's short comings. I don't find them game breaking for me and I trust that the dev team will continue to work on this system in order to iron out the rough spots. They've already demonstrated a commitment to ongoing development and improvement.

As for giving characters the opportunity to change factions later in the game, I hope they can retain that while reducing the the innate imbalance this causes for competitive end-game play.

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 6:14PM Pingles said

Woah, I don't have the patience for that stuff.

If I start smacking a mob and it takes damage I'm happy. Trying to squeeze 0.02% more damage form my weapon by grinding mobs just isn't my thing.

However, I get crazy enough about some parts of MMOs that I totally understand people who DO like that stuff. To each their own.

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 10:39PM DancingCow said

We're not talking a 0.02% difference and certainly not damage (mutations do bugger all damage). But the defence and healing benefits of picking up all mutation lines is quite significant, even for non-mutation builds, eg.

You can see that by level 46, without spending a single point on mutations, you have all 3 of the level 1 mutation armour buffs, (from memory 180 defence each), the regen buffs and the level 2 stat buffs (from primal), and 5 mutation abilities which can be used for self-healing - 1 of those can be used while running.

And that's without spending any AP on mutations or wisdom.

The damage mutations are useless. You'll do somewhere between 5 and 20 times the amount of damage just using a weapon (of the same skill level) - and that's without even using combat special abilities.

But the armour, healing and stat buff mutation lines were all worth spinning the wheel for.

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 10:32PM swarmofcats said

The factions and the meaningfulness of choosing one over the next is something that could use some improvement. On top of the whole "spinning the wheel in order to give your character more buffs than the next guy" thing, there are really weird systems in play for people of the same faction.

For example, when your faction controls a PvP camp, you are safe inside of it UNLESS someone of your own faction shoots you in the back. Right now the game is focused more around Clan vs Clan and Factions are second priority to this. It's a great idea, but it could use some ironing out and some of the playerbase has even proposed some great ideas to help smooth out the feel of aligning yourself with a faction and fighting for their cause.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 8:07AM Got Beef said

I think this should end up on the list of the biggest failures in FE, I looked at this feature and was shocked... Pve farming 1001 in a potentially great pvp game. Dreams and hopes crushed is all I have to say, Earthrise (others) can only learn from mistakes made in the design of this "sandbox" game.

Posted: Apr 18th 2010 10:47PM DancingCow said

I think these changes are a step in the right direction, but they don't go far enough - i.e. they need to implement an AP cap so "min-maxers" can't get more AP for spinning the wheel and....

And unfortunately these changes will create new problems.

The set-up of the wheel now means that, eg. if you're a rifle user and want the best faction rifle specials, then you want to join the monastic, melee/healy Lightbearers who have rifle-loving neighbours on the faction wheel.

Similarly if you want the best melee specials then you want to join the nature-loving rifle shooting Vistas, because their neighbouring factions are melee focused.

And if these or future restrictions also apply to mutations then...

The best faction to join for healing purposes would be the rifle/tank Enforcers, because it's the only faction that - by virtue of their neighbours - gives access to all of the healing mutation lines and first-aid specials.

None of that is good for the so-called "roleplayers".

The faction wheel is interesting. But it hasn't been properly thought through.