Posted: Apr 9th 2010 1:56PM (Unverified) said

A very good article, I really enjoyed reading it...
And if I'm already here can anyone tell me what does IP mean exactly?

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 2:01PM Narof said

IP = Intellectual Property

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 3:05PM (Unverified) said

Tolkien's Middle Earth is just one of those fascinating environments that i couldn't get enough of when i first picked up The Hobbit as a young boy. LotRO does a pretty good job turning those words into a solid visualization as well. Not only did my previous experience with the literature help me get around in the game, but the game also helped me when i went back to reread the books.

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 3:13PM Samael said

My best moment in LoTRO was finding Tom Bombadil. It was awesome.

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 3:23PM (Unverified) said

Nice article Justin! I'm surprised you had an article this week. I heard you just had a baby (well I assume your Wife did but you know what I mean). Anyway, congratulations!

Also, I too am impressed by the way that Turbine has stuck quite well to the Lore. The places you can visit such as the Shire, Old Forest, Bree, Moria, Lothlorien, Mirkwood, and all the others are done so well and really make you feel like you are in Middle Earth. Kudos to the devs for this awesome game that I am enjoying so much!

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:45AM Nandini said

"Turbine's done an excellent job merging the two while being respectful and as accurate as possible."

Do rune-keepers fall into the "respectful" or "accurate" category?

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 4:50AM (Unverified) said

I'd say it's 50/50. Some parts are really nice and well done, especially visually designed. And those are in article above so I won't repeat those again.

But then there are alien like creatures in Moria, goats as mounts and fire,lightning and ice shooting Rune-Keepers which should be just called as what they are - mages.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 4:06AM (Unverified) said

You forgot the encyclopedia of Arda:

A good resource, but simple to access. You can get bite-sized information, about specific people, places, wars, events... but you can also interlink them like a wiki.

It's probably my best resource for anything LOTR related.

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 6:41PM (Unverified) said

Lore for me is extremely important. If I don't care about the world enough, or why I want to continue playing in it, I frankly don't want to play that MMO. One of the things I have started doing in WoW, especially with the Cataclysm expansion around the bend, is to revisit some of the older areas and see what made the background story all the more compelling.

One particular story that I came across, one that I remember with much dread (primarily because the chief antagonist killed me more times in my mid-20's than I can possibly count) is the take of Mor'Ladim. I made a post about it that you can find here:

It's little story touches like these that make the lore that much more compelling, believable and humanized.