Posted: Apr 9th 2010 10:28PM Cinnamoon said

I love CoH, but sadly this isn't new. They've been swinging the nerfbat at AE since last year when they launched it. And story arcs always get smacked hardest.

Look, Paragon Studios. Players are going to farm. Whatever you do, they will find a way. You can't really stop them. There's not even anything inherently wrong with wanting to level efficiently -- most people are leveling their 100th alt and just want to try out new powersets. The best thing you can do is give your players a reason to do something other than level quickly in AE. Wildly swinging that bat makes you look erratic and incompetent. Spend more time developing the rest of the game, and stop spending all that dev time making AE not worth the bother.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 5:29PM Relentless Waterfall said

Well said, Cinnamoon.

Posted: Apr 9th 2010 11:31PM Heraclea said

Since AE launched, the devs have been insistent that it was about creating stories rather than farming. This patch essentially removes the most basic story telling tools and labels them as exploits. It actually rewards mindless missions at the expense of crafted ones: now the only purpose served by AE is to fill maps full of enemies to mow down.

I cannot imagine any exploit at all that justifies this patch. It renders any AE mission that contains NPCs that are there to tell the players something rather than to kill them no longer worth anyone's time to play.

No exploit of any severity could justify this. They would do better just to roll back this patch until such time as they can roll out a tested patch that fixes whatever they were aiming at correctly. Until they can fix it right, they should restore AE to what it was before.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 2:23PM Sam not Spam said

I'll have to agree to disagree on that. I feel that it was needed (although unfortunate). Instead of rolling it back, I would prefer for them to work on a refined solution as quickly as possible and get that up on live.

As someone who makes and plays AE *story* arcs, its unfortunate that my missions aren't worth as much for XP gain and such, but at the same time that doesn't really deter me from playing or using the AE for *story* arcs, either. Difference in motivation to a degree (Bartle says I'm a SEAK), but gaining XP is a reward, and this affects rewards, not story-telling.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 9:53PM starka1 said

Hah, I came back for a month, found an arc I liked to 'farm' and it gets nerfed. No, it was not a buffbot mission. I just set it at +0,5 no bosses or AVs and it was plenty for me but some missions had XP kill-stealer allies and a boss that I had to escort but does nothing.

"It always takes a few to spoil everyone's fun". If it really was a few and not affecting their bottom line then you think they could afford to wait for a more polished fix instead of affecting the majority of non-cheaters and authors. Makes you think then maybe there are more cheaters than non-cheaters since the latter group's gameplay was considered secondary and could wait for a proper fix at a later date. Who then wants to play a game full of cheaters?

My experience is the heavy handed nerfs do not get fixed quickly. Why waste my money and have to suffer a hit to my rewards for NOT cheating while the devs figure a new patch out? The answer is I don't.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 12:17AM whateveryousay said

I don't even play CoH and this sounds horrible to me. Nothing like a big, "screw you!" to the fans from the developers to remind you why you pay those monthly charges. Money well spent I see.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 2:16PM Sam not Spam said

If you ever try City of Heroes, or any other MMO, please, team with someone with 10 max level characters all achieved in 2 weeks and tell me how good they are in actual game content (ie, non-power leveling situations). Its damaging to the playerbase since these guys don't know how to play the real game, don't know how to actually team, don't know how to use their powers, etc. When they hit real content that requires a working knowledge of the game, they're going to suck, get mad, and leave. That's not good for the long term health of the game (for the publisher or for the players).

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 9:59PM starka1 said

Or you could enjoy teaming with them and discover the adventure together instead of having to perform to the expectations of an elitist team captain. What sounds more fun?

Who cares if they are level 1 or 50? Be nice, explain things to them and you have a chance to show off your knowledge to boot. Enhance their experience instead of trying to project your type of gameplay and maybe they will stick around another month or two. If you really care about the game, you would do this no matter how you actually felt about the players gaming habits.

Or go ahead and be an ass to them. I'm sure NCSoft would appreciate you driving away a subscriber.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:11PM whateveryousay said

I have to agree with stark1 on this. I've played with people that fit your description, Sam, and it wasn't half as bad as you make it out to seem. On the other hand, i've played with people that weren't power leveling their way to the top and yet they couldn't handle their role in a party to save their own life. So your argument doesn't really hold much ground considering it could go either way on both sides of the spectrum. Honestly though, even if your argument was 100% valid and this was a serious problem, that still wouldn't justify the developers BREAKING A MAJOR PART OF THE GAME just to "fix" it for you.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 1:07AM J Brad Hicks said

Let me craft a metaphor for this, one that doesn't involve super heroes, player-created content, or anything else with City of Heroes, one that could happen in any MMO:

Imagine that someone, in whatever MMO you play, found a particular trick where you could stand in one spot and cast one very common ability ... only due to a hard-to-fix bug, if you use that one ability in just the right spot, every NPC within half a mile of your character instantly falls over dead, and you get full XP and full loot for all of them. And you can do it again 20 seconds later. Ad infinitum.

Now yes, what you want is for the company to fix that bug. But from now until they do, more and more people are going to be standing at that one spot, spamming that one attack. So if what they have to do in the short term is disable that attack for everybody, even if it's a very useful attack when used legitimately, they're going to do it. Those are their two choices: either inconvenience the small percentage of the player base that play that character class who took that power for legitimate reasons from now until the permanent fix is ready, or else watch the whole game go to hell from now until the permanent fix is ready.

Does anybody really want them to take that second choice, instead of the first?

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:04AM (Unverified) said

Why does City of Heroes even feature farming anymore? They introduced level-scaling so players can jump up or down in levels to participate in group content with anyone they want. The game's been out for years, so it's not like grinding up to 50 is special anymore.

Why not get rid of levels entirely? Let players play the story arcs they want when they want, and focus on introducing enough new quest content each month that players are willing to resub to play just that. Sprinkle in some holiday events and encourage players to participate in PvP content, and the game should have more than enough content to justify resubbing each month.

I don't see how farming for items or levels can possibly still be interesting to the players.

-SirNiko

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 3:19PM Superfan said

Well, I am trying to like this game again but it keeps falling short. It's quite lame, really.

So, why do people farm? Well, IMO, to make your toon super you need the good IOs. These all cost a fortune and you will never get them without some marketeering or farming. Once you farm, IO your toon and are really super...there isn't much to do for that super toon that feels so cool to play. Sure, you can exemp down to do all the content you missed but you lose some powers and enhancements when you level down for a mission.

There isn't much to do at level 50 with your built up toon. After 6 years this issue has not been addressed. I really don't know what these DEVS think - whatever it is, they are killing the game (as made obvious by the all time low in player pop).

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to know of great stuff to do with my IOed out level 50 toons. I don't like farming and there is only so much out there, that isn't repetitive, for level 50s.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 4:07PM Sam not Spam said

Hopefully Going Rogue and i19 will provide you with an enjoyable end-game.

I'd argue that you don't really need to go crazy with Set IO's, but that's a personal preference (I do, but I make mine for exemplaring with friends - level 25's are excellent for that).

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 10:15PM J Brad Hicks said

"... To make your toon super you need the good IOs."

No. No, you don't.

As it explicitly says in one of the loading-screen tips, the game was not made more difficulty when the Invention system was added. There isn't a single challenge in the entire game that can't be met with ordinary cheap enhancements. Not one. If you can't feel "super" with even-level common inventions, or even with regular single-origin enhancements, then adding rare inventions won't make you feel any more super, because you're still going to be fighting the same enemies; will it make that much of a difference to how "super" you feel if you defeat them 5% faster? OK, maybe if you invest 20 or 30 billion inf into your character you will be able to solo things that were never meant to be able to be soloed. But so what? Even with 30 billion inf worth of rares, there are still challenges that you'll need a team for. Nobody's going to be soloing the crashed Rikti mothership any time soon. Nobody's going to be soloing the Hamidon any time soon.

In fact, let me point something out that will underline just how little you "need" those rare inventions: there are dozens of achievement badges in the game that can only be earned by turning off ALL enhancements. And yet there are people running around with all of those badges. If they can do it and you can't, then the reason you don't feel "super" is not that your character isn't super, it's that you, the player, aren't.

There really is only one thing driving the urge to fill every single enhancement slot with rare inventions: envy. The thought that somebody out there has something, even one thing, that you don't. And if you let that drive you into playing the game in un-fun ways, if you let that drive you into turning the game into a particularly unpleasant job, you're doing yourself a real disservice.