Posted: Apr 9th 2010 7:10PM (Unverified) said

I really like how anyone who has commented on this about the obvious political slant in which this article was written is down-voted. Just FYI, I can't stand FOX nor any of its affiliates so don't think this is some conservative pissed off that this wasn't written from the opposite point of view. My entire point being is that this doesn't need to be brought up if you're going to try and scare people in believing your very skewed view of things using your political beliefs.

Go ahead and down-vote this as well for pointing out a truth

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 3:57PM Royalkin said

What ever the government decides to regulate or tax for that matter causes its expense and overhead to increase. Case in point, Federal and State Governments make more money from a gallon of gasoline that the oil companies. All due to regulation and taxation.

Additionally, once Government gets is claws into something it never reduces its influence in it without very serious and heavy interest on the part of the public and interest groups. Case in point, When the Federal Reserve Act was passed in 1913, which ushered in the Federal Reserve, Income Taxes, and everyone's favorite ABC Agency the Internal Racketeering.. err, Revenue Service, the tax rate was 1% of the top 1%.

So, while it might be publicly perceived at least to some that Net Neutrality would be a good thing, the possibility of the FCC to overstep their bounds and create a serious violation of Free Speech exists. Especially so when we have a regime, err... Administration interested in nationalizing banks, automobile companies and who knows what else.

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 4:55PM pcgneurotic said

What's the EU/Britain/Australia/Rest of World saying about this? I ask because I've not been following this issue very closely at all, and other than non-US users experiencing slower/blocked access to US-hosted content, I'm not sure what the ramifications are. Surely, if the FCC do something, the rest of the world would have to follow suit. Or what?

Posted: Apr 10th 2010 4:57PM pcgneurotic said

to clarify: "I'm not sure what the ramifications are [for those non US residents/users]."

Posted: Apr 13th 2010 1:10PM Daelen said

Good article. And no, this is purely a local problem. Its at a provider level not globe. In Canada, internet is neutral and by in large sold by speed/cap subs. In my case that's 10Mbps/s with a 60GB cap per month. Next package is 20Mbps/s with a 100GB cap and so on.

Which means unless its a heavy beta month, I never hit the cap and regardless never get throttled or blocked from content. Going over the cap just means a fee for usage per 2GB is applied up to a cap of $11/month.

Posted: Apr 16th 2010 6:15PM Bravura said

After reading all these comments, I must say, I am deeply saddened. I had thought that our generation of young adults had gotten over the political divisions of our parents. I guarantee most people who have commented here could do little to explain why they hold certain political beliefs, one way or the other.

I also find it sad that it seems everyone in our country today treats capitalism as a sort of religion. Those who say anything that doesn't mesh with capitalist or corporate liberal ideals is immediately brushed off as 'un-American' or what have you. It seems to me that, as was noted by someone a few pages back, that we should stop thinking about issues like this in terms of liberal and conservative. The only way we will ever overcome the numerous issues facing our country is to put all of the stupidity aside.

That being said, those of you here who are espousing libertarian or hyper-conservative views, and fears of overreaching government regulation should really think about what makes our lives (speaking from an American perspective) as good as they are. Corporate America and the 'Free' Market are not the reasons we live so well here, even though many people seem to think so. The reason we live so well in America, generally speaking, is because of our democracy. Without democracy, we'd be living in the dark ages, or maybe a corporate technocratic dystopia.

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale