Posted: Apr 6th 2010 3:47PM Meurik said

Well, this was a nice bit of news. Although not entirely unexpected. While Ultra Mode, and the Going Rogue expansion will definitely be adding a much needed graphical update to the game, the underlying problem is still that it's being run on an engine that is over 6 years old. Times are changing, and game companies need to change with them.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 3:57PM wjowski said

Says who? If anything the constant demand for bleeding-edge graphics has priced most MMOs out of the reach of the average gamer. That's why WoW has a million customers and growing while games like Age of Conan and Everquest 2 are treading water at best.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 4:06PM (Unverified) said

Exactly. Nobody's screaming for WoW to reboot. Like most good games, you get accustomed to the aesthetic. I think CoH has done a fine job keeping with the times, without rendering most people's gaming rigs obsolete.

That being said, a sequel would be a splendid idea for a couple years down the road when CoH really does lose momentum. As long as they keep the 'anyone any level can play together' scalable content and mission-based systems. But a larger, more open Paragon City would be great.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 4:13PM Meurik said

I'm not advocating for a full on graphics upgrade, on the level of Crysis or above.

For all I know, it may be enough for a long long time, to have the "Going Rogue" graphics, throughout a future sequel to City of Heroes. While Ultra Mode does provide some of the features that exist in Going Rogue content, Going Rogue is specifically designed with the new features in mind.

In short:

- A graphics upgrade on the level of Going Rogue throughout the entire game
- A less instanced-defined environment, more open-friendly. Able to move from the cities, into nearby suburbs without the need for a "Loading Screen".

These two combined would work wonders I think.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 5:45PM CCon99 said

Right, because WoW's simple graphics are the only reason why it has so many subscribers. It has nothing to do with the balance of sandbox/instance content, while making the tedious things from early MMO's less of a grind and making it just challenging enough at the same time. If simple graphics are what makes WoW so popular, then why aren't WAR, STO, and CO doing just as well with their dumbed down graphics? AoC had over 700k people buy the game because they wanted to like it, graphics and all. They stopped playing because there wasn't enough to do at its launch.

BC2, Dragon Age, MW2, and ME2 have sold extremely well on the PC with their modern day graphics.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 4:37PM Superfan said

CoH is a fun game but the DEV team is causing it to stagnate. I hope CoH2 is not a full on new game but maybe a new engine etc adding key upgrades to the existing game (interact with environment, weather, new mission types etc).

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 10:36PM Relentless Waterfall said

Superfan, what is the basis for your statement, "the DEV team is causing [CoH] to stagnate." By my count, in the last year, the Paragon Studios team has developed and released the AE system, four Super Booster packs, a major graphics overhaul, and Going Rogue. I see no proof that supports your statement, but maybe I am viewing their efforts through rose-colored glasses. Could you please support your statement with examples?

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 4:34PM (Unverified) said

For me, it's the gameplay that needs a facelift. I could never get beyond level 21 in CoH... it was just too repetitive and grindy for me.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 4:49PM (Unverified) said

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that it's a game you have to play for the combat, not in spite of. It's like playing a Mario game but not liking to jump and press right.

Once I swallowed that kool-aid, it's been tough to stop.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 4:58PM Ripper McGee said

I echo those thoughts, too, derella. I loved the creative aspects of CoX and could spend hours creating characters, but the play itself didn't do too much for me. Because I travel often for work, it wasn't unusual for me to create a ton of alts (since I greatly enjoyed the char creation), level them up to their teens while away for a week, then delete them upon return or my next trip. It gave me a feeling of accomplishment in the low levels and there were plenty of PUGs. Other than that, I duoed with my teenage daughter, which was probably the most fun I had with the game, but was--unfortunately--not the game, itself.

~Ripper

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

Paragon has a distinct advantage in the sequel market.Cryptic has already shown them what not to do.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 5:48PM CCon99 said

This actually makes more sense with Positron leaving CoX for "other projects".

Posted: Apr 23rd 2010 2:49AM (Unverified) said

Um, Positron hasn't left CoX. Are you referring to his stepping down from 'Lead Project Manager' and WarWitch taking his place? That was so he could devote all of his time to a new End Game content and the Incarnates system. He never left.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 6:13PM aurickle said

As an example, the CoH team recognizes that the repetitive map design with pre-determined spawn points and so forth is hurting the game. That's why the maps in Going Rogue are going to be more dynamic. However, they've also said that:

1) There's only so much that can be done with the current engine.
2) Re-working all the maps from the rest of the game isn't going to happen because it would be too time intensive.

So they know there's a problem and there's only so much they can do to fix it thanks to time constraints and the current engine.

CoX2 would allow them to build a new engine that is not simply designed around the new graphics capabilities but also features gameplay options that simply aren't possible with the current engine. The industry has learned a LOT in the time since CoH launched -- heck, look at all that's been learned (good and bad) from WoW alone, which came out over a year after CoH.

If NCSoft were to take what they've learned from CoX and the other MMO's that have come out in the last six years and then applied that to the design of a new engine with more robust gameplay capabilities it would have the potential to be an incredible game. Cryptic should have been the company to do this, but for whatever reason Emmert seems incapable of learning even from himself. SoE is hard at work with DCUO for launch later this year. Regardless of how that game proves to be or if CO manages to get turned around, there is competition out there for NCSoft in the super hero genre. The simple truth is that even with the Going Rogue expansion, CoX just isn't going to be able to stay viable much longer. At best, it will tread water. More likely, it will simply fade as subscription numbers atrophy. A sequel is necessary if NCSoft wants to see the City Of franchise remain viable for much longer.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 8:58PM mattwo said

it's 5 days late ya know...

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 9:44PM TheGreatMachine said

I remember when CoH released everyone pegged it's success on being a 'niche' title.

When CoH2 is out it will not only be competing with it's predecessor but also with CO, DCUO and 2 marvel MMOs.

Something to think about.

Posted: Apr 7th 2010 4:26AM pcgneurotic said

Well I'm very excited by this news.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM