Posted: Apr 4th 2010 5:42PM Mr Angry said

"For whatever people may fault them on, Cryptic Studios has an excellent track record for trying to keep communications open between the company and the fans."

ahem.... cough....

On a more general note, I will continue to post items like this because after the last two months, I feel that Cryptic's coverage on this site is not balanced and gives gamers an unclear impression about the games mentioned. I've long defended Massively for being impartial, but with Cryptic, it's just not true, sorry guys. I don't know if it's because you copy paste the press releases from Cryptic, but the feedback you have had from ex players such as myself has been pretty overwhelming.

I know it's good for a news site to support the community, but credit where credit is due and Cryptic have had a considerable amount of time to right hte wrongs of the initial launch. For a company that champions there awesome generic MMO builder, it sure take a long fucking time to get updates out....

I'd much rather you got behind smaller independent efforts, like the 'Love' MMO, or look forward to companies like oToy or OnLive to see what they have planned for MMO's. I think if we can see substantial news stories, rather than just telling us about rather limp news letters then news stories would be much better received.

Posted: Apr 4th 2010 7:15PM (Unverified) said

I was scared away from Champions Online around launch time by all of the negative comments posted here after being very disappointed in the way WAR was handled by Mythic.. But as a longtime Star Trek fan, I decided to give STO a try when that launched. While far from perfect, I liked STO so much that I tried Champions Online and ended up subscribing to that too. I think Cryptic has a lot of great ideas but needs a little more time/money/personnel etc. to get things right.

Posted: Apr 4th 2010 7:50PM (Unverified) said

@Turlagh I also saw a lot of negative feedback and news surrounding CO when it lauched, but I decided to try it anyway after seeing the character customization. I was pleasantly surprised. I wound up playing the game for 2-3 months until dropping my sub due to a lack of content. In time, I think CO will be a very good game and I look forward to playing it again once they implement a few new powersets.

Posted: Apr 5th 2010 1:06PM (Unverified) said

Personally I think of the Cryptic's 2 games CO is the better onr and much more salvageable but it needs a lot of work and not just n the content area.Power balance and really opening up builds needs works still as does clear game documentation amongst other things.At least they are working on melee and other powers though.But really a lot of this is stuff that should of been done before release not over 6 months after.

Look at AoC and War...they might be vastly improved since launch but you only get one chance to make a first impression and they are unlikely to get a much bigger sub base than they are left with now and rightly so.

Posted: Apr 4th 2010 8:42PM Interitus said

@Turlagh

What Cryptic needs to do is learn to listen to it's testers. I was never part of the CO beta, I was in beta but didn't provide much feedback other then bug reporting.

I was very active in the STO closed beta. There we mentioned countless issues we found with the game. Sadly Cryptic had become too close to their game. They couldn't see the flaws that the testers were pointing out and were slow and hesitant to make any major changes.

I went from giddy and excited for STO to warning my friends to stay away. I don't mind CO, butgiven the IP STO could have been so much more.

@Mr Angry I've been saying that for months :p

Posted: Apr 5th 2010 12:04AM ZenJitsu said

I beta tested both STO and CO, and it's true that they didn't fix a lot of flaws that were pointed out, whether they were bugs or gameplay directions. However, I also believe that they simply don't have the personnel available to make the sweeping changes and rampant fixes they need to make in their games. With 50 people on Star Trek Online, that's still only what, 40% of the staff available for the FIRST Mass Effect (125). I'm not going to guess how many are on CO right now, because the number might be depressing. This also doesn't excuse the fact that it took them 4-5 months to fix CO with the Kitchen Sink Patch.

A good part of the reason their MMOGs feel generic is due to the fact that the Cryptic Engine is made to be generic; it's sole function is to serve as a common foundation on which they can churn out MMOGs. Unfortunately, their games seem to be bound by a lot of the Engine's limitations because of this.

As for Massively's articles: they are reporting based on someone's viewpoint...the writer's. If 50% is true neutral, they're probably about 65-70% favoring Cryptic, generally. Spinning it the other way because commenters disagree would be doing a disservice to the readers as well. They can spin it however they want because, y'know, I'm an adult and I can figure it out for myself whether a game is good or not. It's not like Massively doesn't report the bad as well, but some seem to gloss over that. Let people do the research and find out for themselves; if they're reading Massively as gospel (or any one source for that matter), that's their own fault.

I will say one thing though: Massively has gone a little downhill with the civility of its comment postings. Although somewhat surprisingly, this one is still going well.

Posted: Apr 5th 2010 5:19AM (Unverified) said

It's funny. People on the Cryptic forums say that Massively always puts a negative spin on all of their coverage of Cryptic's games... and yet, the posters here say the opposite.

Posted: Apr 5th 2010 11:45AM wjowski said

I swear Massively's deliberately trolling it's readers with these things.

Posted: Apr 6th 2010 6:47AM (Unverified) said

I'm starting to get that feeling too. It can't be coincidence that Massively faithfully regurgitates every last Cryptic press release or minor statement, along with their usual coverage. They're going out of their way to report on Cryptic as much as humanly possible.