Posted: Apr 3rd 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

One thing I wanted to add that you may have thought about but just escaped you when writing this piece is the Soundtrack!

I have never and I mean NEVER played an MMO where I enjoyed the soundtrack for each zone/encounter/boss fight/story arc and whatever else you can think of as I did in FFXI. As I write this I am currently listening to 108 different music pieces from the game (not including any of the last 2 expansions) and some of them almost bring me to tears.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2010 3:41PM ganymede51 said

I agree. I've been playing this game on and off since the US release, and every time I go back and revisit Bastok and the music starts playing, I just feel so uplifted. On the other hand, if I never have to hear the Gustaberg music again, I'd be the happiest man alive.

Posted: Apr 12th 2010 6:44AM (Unverified) said

While I also agree on the moving nature of some of the music of FFXI (and I enjoy just about all of it,) there is a good reason for not putting it up under a spotlight -- much of it is not Uematsu's work, which means there will be some rabid FF (not necessarily also MMO) fans criticizing it.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2010 1:27PM breezer said

Here's a link to a video that was unearthed recently. It features lots of little details in FFXI that you were mentioning. Stuff that you might not even notice, but adds so much life tot he game world.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2010 6:10PM (Unverified) said

Excellent points about the soundtrack. I have all of the music on my iPod and I love listening to it at work. This game is exquisitely done. I've been away for it for about a year, but I think about the game all of the time and think very fondly on the world that I miss very much.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2010 7:54PM Cendres said

"The world feels lived-in"

Very much so!! It's the insane little details I am in love with when it comes to FF games in general, but in an MMO setting it's even more important to bring a virtual world to life. Which is why seeing FF14 look similar is a good thing in my book because that's one thing FFXI does perfectly. To a point where no other MMO touches them.

And this, and this alone is what keeps bringing me back to Vana'diel.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2010 9:59PM (Unverified) said

Gustaberg is actually probably in my top five favorite songs from the game.

A brief history on my love affair:
Since 2003
I imported the JP version in 2003 before the NA version dropped.
Then remade a new character when NA PC beta started.
Then re-rolled again for NA Retail servers.
Due to credit problems I quit for a year and re-rolled.
Participated in XBOX360 Beta just to be a part of the restarted economy.
2009-2010: Back on Retail and loving it. Just got accepted into FFXIV Alpha/Beta!

TL:DR I love this game.

Posted: Apr 4th 2010 1:24AM (Unverified) said

I love FF11! I would still love to be playing it if it wasn't for the blurry resolution on my 360 with the game. /sigh

Posted: Apr 4th 2010 1:32PM kgav said

One of the BEST things about FFXI is 1 Character (toon) can play every job. I can't stand MMOs which require me to create an entirely new character to play another job.

Posted: Apr 4th 2010 3:54PM Cendres said

I don't think I've recovered from that yet either, I don't like having to invest in totally different characters just to try out a different set of combat skills. The job system is brilliant and I guess FFXIV implements it the way it was meant to be in FFXI, or so the rumor I've just heard says. :P

Posted: Apr 4th 2010 8:48PM Blancmanche said

I've played FFXI for about 6 years, and although I've tried other MMOs, I keep coming back. Why? It's all about the atmosphere of the game! The breathtaking aesthetics of the world, the loving attention to detail, the intricate backstories of the nations and races, music brilliantly appropriate for each zone, memerable characters, missions and quests imbued with comedy, drama, and romance... in short, I love the world they have created. No other MMO I've played has such a deep and rich world as FFXI, and that is what kept me playing long after the graphics became terrible and the more frustrating game mechanics became almost-too-much-to-bear.

It is confusing to me to see others complaining that FFXIV looks/feels too much like FFXI. I think SE is being wise in taking what worked in FFXI and enhancing it while reworking those things that didn't. If they can pull that off, FFXIV will be golden.

Posted: Apr 8th 2010 1:11PM (Unverified) said

I was camping a certain notorious monster recently, which required killing placeholders for 1-4 hours... getting close to 4 hours, I was getting tired and annoyed... and I happened to look out over a lake at the time.

Now I've seen an eagle fly around there... this time though, it didn't just fly by... it dived towards the lake surface, caught a fish with it's claws and flew off to it's nest...

This game can annoy you one second, then amaze you the next...

MMO Week in Review: ArcheAge has arrived

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: Has the industry revamp worked?

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 6:00PM