Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 10:13AM Joshua Przygocki said

Thanks for this. Just subbed to LOTRO last night and this was confusing me since I had only 2 days of playing the trial prior to subbing.

I think I messed up though, in fact I'm sure I did, as soon as I got my frist virtue I went to a bard and trained it...

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 10:25AM Boruk said

You will get a lot of virtues up while not even trying. Starting out (depending on class) you will get some you might not need but it dosn't hurt anything if you equip them anyways.

You can always go back to the bard and unequip them if you just feel the need as well.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 10:36AM Joshua Przygocki said

Thanks, wasn't sure about that, and I found out the one I equipped was actually good for my class anyway lol.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 10:53AM Greeen said

Virtues are pretty neat boosts, but also a neat way of hiding grind.
Killing hundreds of mobs e.g.
Goes o/c fast in a group, which is the meaning of an MMO.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:16AM DancingTaco said

Traits definitely help, even in the beginning levels.. There are some easy gimme traits they hand out as stated above early in the game and it is definitely helpful to put those on even if they are not meant for your class. Valour and Justice are 2 of the easiest traits to boost early and are needed by about every class. Check burgzerg to see where these are, as you can get them up to 3 or 4 just by killing stuff in each of the starter areas or shortly there after.. Its nothing to get both of them up to level 4 before hitting 30..

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:33AM aurickle said

While not on the subject of virtues, class traits are a related topic. Every player should do himself a favor and look at the each available class trait the instant it becomes visible for earning under the Class section of the Deed log. Focus every day on meeting each deed's requirements, up to the maximum gain for that day. (The progress bar in the Deed log will turn yellow when the deed can no longer be advanced for that day.)

Class traits are like WoW's talents. They let you customize your character down one of three paths. With few exceptions, they are only gained by using an associated skill X number of times. In most cases, the daily limit equates to a five or ten day minimum to earn the trait.

Nothing sucks worse than being level 50 and not being able to slot a trait that you'd started earning way back at level 10 but never finished because that particular skill didn't happen to get used very much in the course of normal play. This severely limits your ability to create some very nice builds for your character. So spend time every day focusing on each in-progress deed so that you can complete it as soon as possible. Healers, for example, can finish each day by spam healing until the associated deeds are maxed for the day. Damage-dealing skills are tougher because they require combat with an enemy. But if you started the day by looking at what deeds you have in progress you could focus on those particular skills for a while during your normal game play. Not only does this complete the deed, it also helps you get used to using some potentially very useful skills that you might otherwise forget about.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 2:18PM Snorii said

Regarding aurickle's comment on class traits:

I wholeheartedly agree - for my burglar, I keep saving Hips (Hide in Plain Sight) in case I might need to use it for a quick getaway. Later, I really regretted not using it as often as I could because it took me quite a while to get the class trait done after I was already pretty high level.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:45AM (Unverified) said

I always found it strange that you increase your Mercy, Compassion and Innocence virtues by slaughtering hundreds of critters...

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:48AM Greeen said

good point!

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:07PM (Unverified) said

I've had a lot of luck by using this reference sheet, it's not updated for 3.1, but still very useful when it comes to virtues... http://draznar.net/files/DeedVirtueCheckSheet.pdf

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014