Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 8:18AM Dumac said

Sigh. I have big issues with complicated MMO names in general (typo potential and needing to triple check what you wrote when you need to /whisper, or just needing 10 seconds to comprehend the f-ing thing) so any title that directly extends it rather than standing above or bellow it is too much. I don't know about lotro, but thankfully WoW had the option to not display them onscreen, but only display it in that infobox in the lower right screen corner. That was kind of nice, if you have such a system in place, you can go all out on titles and they don't become annoying.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 8:56AM Boruk said

This is in place in LOTRO, so actually while that character might like having all that up there, YOU can make it so all you see is his character name. Even with that entire name, if you wanted to /whisper him...all you need is the original name itself anyways.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 10:04AM kasapina said

Poxus, I can not tell the actual name of the player in the screenshot.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 8:51AM (Unverified) said

You've got many things going on here:
Seargeant at Arms: PvP rank
Benhamine....: actual character name
BaneofSalsa..: cosmetic surname
Victorious runekeeper...: Title
Gallant few: Kinship (Guild)

Yoe can toggle any of these off except for the actual character name, which in this case it so long , it's downright silly in itself.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 8:58AM Boruk said

Personally, I like the current naming scheme in LOTRO...even though I am not a in-game RP'er, I do RP my character in my heaand having these titles follow me is sort of like RP'ing.

Just look at Strider when he started using Aragorn, son of...weilder of..and so on. It fits the game perfectly.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 9:19AM (Unverified) said

hilarious that people use titles, i always disable them in every mmo i play so i don't have a screen full of garbage. its just ego stroking and if it makes them happy to be the only one who sees it, good for them.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 10:10AM Joshua Przygocki said

I think they are a lot of fun.

In EQ2 My character was something like Hierophant Aysol Ariella, Slayer of Orcs.

While it's not as extreme as THAT up there, I still think its kinda funny to see someone with a hugeazz name/title floating above their head.

(I did change it though, the sound of just Hierophant Aysol Ariella was much more appealing.)

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 10:38AM (Unverified) said

Titles are a tricky thing. They must be rare enough so that other players see you and think, WOW! COOL! I want that!

LotRO fails here, mostly. There's simply too many titles and very few of them actually mean anything. LotRO wins in that you can turn off the ridiculousness of it all and simply see player names. A great boon to both RP and ease of sight!

WoW fails here as well. I had a faction title that was *awesome* at level 45, but no one cares at 60+ because the grind is just a grind. At level 45, it's challenging and (for me) was fun!

Titles, must also be able to be obtained by the average player, who is not going to get the high level PvP rank titles and abilities, raid/epic dungeon titles and armor.

Most games fail here as well, as the level the title is achieved is not taken into account (anyone can farm titles at higher levels, except the not dying ones in LotRO).

In general, I enjoy titles. They're a lot of the reason I play. But I go after the really challenging ones and display my title proudly!

I rarely have a surname, and I always display my guild name with pride! Wall of text? Rarely. Annoying? No one's yet complained....but I suppose the dwarf is a different ball of wax. They always are!

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:01AM Greeen said

I agree with Tovin here.

LOTRO has too many titles, so it's a bit like "what's the point?".
Unless you are an "expert", how is one supposed to know if it is something cool, special, epic, funny? Well, funny is obvious, but otherwise....

Warhammer is a bit the same, not as extreme as LOTRO but also a bit too many. You could just as well let people make up their own (within some guidelines as for naming) if one can not perceive what "value" is behind a title.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:30AM (Unverified) said

Guild Wars tracks many titles (a fair number of them are reputation titles), but you can only display one of your titles at a time, and they'll appear in a box under your name that only pops up if someone hovers over your name.

Incidentally, you also have a title that display of how many other titles you maxed out the progress; however, it does not show which titles you actually maxed out.

Personally, I almost always show my 'Protector of Cantha'-title, unless I'm in an area where displaying another title grants me special bonuses (for example the Asura Reputation title track increases your max energy if you display it in Asura territory).

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:49AM Greeen said

ah, now that is something different, if a title can give you a bonus!

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:46AM Sorithal said

Imo, games like WoW use titles too little.

I enjoy LotRO's wide array of titles tbh. While sure, you don't exactly get e-peen points for most of them, it adds an extra layer of character customization and RPishness to the game. Plus it fits the source material, as most of the characters in the books had a huge amount of titles... also a lot of the titles are pretty cool. Probably one of my favorite ones in the lower levels is the "Watcher of Roads" title, then the stuff like "Hero of the North Downs".

Also the "Ridge-Racer" secret title = epic xD

Basically in LotRO, your character gets the titles from accomplishing feats, so as he rises to greater power/fame, of course he's going to get a ton of titles under his belt. Of course, that would be ridiculous if the title became far too long... and that guy in the picture has a pretty obnoxiously long name/surname >_>

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:53AM gildhur said

lol @ screenshot. LotRO titles are super awesome. I'm currently rocking "The Sinister". Simple, yet effective.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:49PM SGNExcaliber said

This guy is actually in my Kinship, Gallant Few (Nimrodel).

While i do tend to agree with the whole "long title is long." thing, I like the versatility. If you want to have an odd title, you can! You can have that obscure title everyone has to ask "where'd you get that?" but it isn't like WoW, where most of your titles are for server firsts, or downing the raid boss in hardmode when the moons are in alignment.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 1:32PM Snorii said

I like in game titles such as "Destined for Valhalla" for CoH or "Blind Leaper" in Lotro.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 9:39PM KrazyCalvin said

I am soooooo happy... After four months of hard daily work I just have one more Darkmoon faire left on World of Warcraft until i get the "Insane in the membrane" meta-achievment... I cant wait to run around being Krazycalvin The Insane.

Posted: Apr 7th 2010 2:01PM Mopo said

I remember in EQ when getting your last name was a big deal...

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014