Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 1:25PM (Unverified) said

It's certainly not for everyone, but for those that are continually ranting for an MMO that breaks the mold, Ryzom could be a great fit.

Probably what I respect most about the game, is although the market has continued to demand an "easy mode" button in MMO's and has gotten it, Ryzom has remained virtually unchanged, and moderately difficult, in its game mechanics since release.

That, and the awesome community. Why is it that all the older, established games, have the best communities?

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 3:49PM whateveryousay said

WoW is an older established game without a good community. Or at least a fairly lukewarm one.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 4:39PM (Unverified) said

Two points:

1. It should also be mentioned that Ryzom's crafting and harvesting systems are unique and awesome. The crafting system does bear resemblance to SWG pre-NGE, but that doesn't count against the use of the word "unique" since that system only exists substantively in SWGEmu.

2. I do not like Ryzom's style of holiday events. It's very strange that a mainstream Asia-originating MMO like Aion does so much better at gracefully integrating lore and holidays into one another, making it possible to enjoy them without suspending RP for a few days and ignoring forever onward the references semi-roleplayers make to jarringly OOC event elements like the boss petting zoo in Pyr, Christmas trees and giant carved pumpkins appearing all over Atys, et cetera. Every time there's a holiday in Aion, tasty tidbits of Atreian culture are revealed. Winch Gate should learn this one thing from NCSoft.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 4:43PM (Unverified) said

Just noticed that you tagged this article with "roleplay", Beau. Very funny...

Then again, I guess my previous comment made that tag relevant. :p

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 5:54PM Beau Hindman said

I tagged it role-play because this is a role-play event. If the developers want to use this as an official event (and part of the Lore, obviously) then it is. They, after all, are the writers of the story.

Also, there aren't any rules in game that say role-play cannot exist if ever "real life" references are made. While I would rather have seen non-real life references, I am not the writer of the story. In other words, they say it is...so it is! :)

Beau

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 8:32PM (Unverified) said

Normally I would agree with that assessment, but Winch Gate (and Gameforge and Nevrax) have never offered any indication that they put any thought whatsoever into whether and how these events fit into the lore. Just because the events are official doesn't make them IC. It doesn't take a lot of effort to make these things compatible with roleplay, just... Ugh. Just a little effort, all I'm asking... But no, for holidays they only devote effort to wrecking immersion.

Maybe I would be slightly more willing to accept this shenaniganry if I weren't a grinch about holidays in general.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 8:56PM Beau Hindman said

Like I said, I agree that the immersion factor could be ramped up a bit, but the point is that if they say it's in there, it's in there. There is no arguing that, being that they are the authors of the book.

Minus all that, you allow yourself some /ooc moments, so why can't they?